Pandora Startup User Cd?

fearofshorts said:
Actually I'm just talking about the windows 'auto-run' window. Windows scans every storage device when it detects them and picks up on the contents of the device in question. It then offers a list of options ("Browse folder", "Open pictures in Windows Photo Gallery", "Watch movies in Windows Media Player" etc.) to the user.
Adding that feature would be sufficient motivation for me to re-build my own kernel without it... Just wastes CPU cycles, and delays me in opening the relevant app.

I only have pnds on one of my cards - the one which I run my OS from. The other is the one I might swap out, and is for data - so I don't need a pandora directory on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im glad this idea is getting a bit of steam behind it.Im rather crap with computers so i doubt id be much use. :p
A list of fully working pnds for a standard download package could be compiled.There are display bugs,ie programs not fitting the screen etc and browser bugs(I like chromium,but cant access gmail or my e-bay within e-bay.A standard musicplayer etc.A series of standarised fully working programs would make sense to me.Yeah midori and arora are annoying/not needed?dont work for me properly.Granted the pandora software
is still in its infancy with only 600+ pandys on the loose things will get better.

wrath of khan said:
Im rather crap with computers so i doubt id be much use. :p
You could test the package. :D

Fzero said:
I also think this starter-pack with some basics and any patches would be a good thing

not concidering expense here but..
Including an SD card that included all this info in a PND and also a single text file read_me which explains how to install a PND.
That way the user learns the lesson number one - installing PND, and then has all the rest to hand

You could even use one of those dinky 8mb cards that come free with cameras.

I think a manual would be a good idea.
But I also think, before we put anything in a manual, we ought to be thinking "Why isn't this obvious?".
The whole idea of "installing" PNDs is contrary to their original purpose, and that ought to be fixed.

Which also raises another issue, manuals for software can and will go out of date.
I think anything beyond absolute basics should go on the Wiki so we can change it in future.
Perhaps we should have a special "User Manual" section, which is really focused on addressing basic points instead of wider issues?

fearofshorts said:
Why not simply have the Pandora scan an inserted SD card (which it does already) and, if it cannot find the correct folders, ask if the user wants to create them?
Since those directories are currently necessary to run PNDs, it might as well just go ahead and create them without asking when you run anything.

tsh said:
Adding that feature would be sufficient motivation for me to re-build my own kernel without it... Just wastes CPU cycles, and delays me in opening the relevant app.
Why would it be anything to do with the kernel? This is userspace stuff.
And I don't think anyone was suggesting not having an option.

VRAndy said:
You could even use one of those dinky 8mb cards that come free with cameras.
Millibit? ;)

Aninhumer said:
fearofshorts said:
Why not simply have the Pandora scan an inserted SD card (which it does already) and, if it cannot find the correct folders, ask if the user wants to create them?
Since those directories are currently necessary to run PNDs, it might as well just go ahead and create them without asking when you run anything.
Well, it's polite to ask, and not all SDs are meant for running PNDs. I even have an SD card with only data on it, so no need for a pandora directory there. When I insert an SD card from (for example) my camera to view some photos I don't want anything scribbling on it either. I also don't want to be bugged about it every time either, so some "don't ask me again" option would be most appreciated.

SteveM said:
Well, it's polite to ask, and not all SDs are meant for running PNDs. I even have an SD card with only data on it, so no need for a pandora directory there. When I insert an SD card from (for example) my camera to view some photos I don't want anything scribbling on it either. I also don't want to be bugged about it every time either, so some "don't ask me again" option would be most appreciated.
Well my point is, if you try and run something without them it will just break.
I'm only saying it should do it if you try and run a PND off it.

Should we compile a list of fully working pnds then.Like a default music player and a default browser,without glitches,
and yes some emulators that are running fullspeed at the moment like picodrive and the snes one etc.Then put all this in a one download package.Do we need to test out various pnds or is someone doing this already.We could start with browsers maybe?Sometimes things get broken with a hotfix and other stuff gets fixed though.

Just curious has anything come of this idea for a one download startup/userguide/pnd download?

Back