Pandora Startup User Cd?

SteveM said:
By all means put together a PND but don't forget that one needs to have mastered "Lesson 1: Installing packages" in order to run it!

It's planned to have a repo for firmware updates in the future. A "Starter Pack" could just be added to the list then so n00bs just need to put in an SD card and click go.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
SteveM said:
By all means put together a PND but don't forget that one needs to have mastered "Lesson 1: Installing packages" in order to run it!
It's planned to have a repo for firmware updates in the future. A "Starter Pack" could just be added to the list then so n00bs just need to put in an SD card and click go.
Are you actually replying to that sentence? I don't follow you. Yes, you could create a "Starter pack" but the repo isn't there yet and you'd still need Wifi or USB networking up and running in order to fetch the package.

^ Yes, I was replying to that sentence. You'd skip "Lesson 1: Installing packages" when it's in the repo. In my opinion you should use the Pandora as a real computer. You need internet access anyway to use the Pandora and I see no reason to use a PC in between, tbh.

mali said:
You'd skip "Lesson 1: Installing packages" when it's in the repo.
OK, then make it "Lesson 1: Setting up networking" and "Lesson 2: Using the repo". My point is that if you need to set something up before the guide is available, the guide has missed its target.

In my opinion you should use the Pandora as a real computer. You need internet access anyway to use the Pandora and I see no reason to use a PC in between, tbh.
Maybe so, but I'm sure there are a lot of folks (myself included) who prefer to install stuff from a PC. It's also the only way to install anything at all until you're connected to a network.

I think that it definitely needs _something_.
I like the idea of it automatically setting up the SD folders (when a windows-style box, the one that appears when it detects removable storage). And I think that the web-browser should save .PNDs by default to the correct folder. That'd make things easier.

fearofshorts said:
I like the idea of it automatically setting up the SD folders (when a windows-style box, the one that appears when it detects removable storage).
So you're talking a built in help system which reacts to events, like the paperclip thing. This is probably more work than you think.

And I think that the web-browser should save .PNDs by default to the correct folder. That'd make things easier.
Again, maybe quite tricky, since you have a choice of SD cards, it could only work with the built in browser, etc. Far better would be be to get a single working browser installed by default.

What is needed, i think is a 'Quickstart' page on the wiki. No options or in depth background, just the minimum necessary to
a) complete the first-run dialogue.
B) Connect to WiFi
c) Install codec pack (maybe hotfix too)
d) Install a single music player (whichever is simplest to describe)
e) Install a game
f) Switch to minimenu and run the apps

So this has a lot of overlap with the user manual, but the emphasis should be on removing choices and background explanation. It is a section to be ignored, or followed to the letter - aand leaves you in a position of feeling you can use the Pandora.

Don't under-estimate the amount of work, it needs to be precise to be useful. It is also difficult to write because the more experienced linux users will want to explain the pros and cons of every decision (like what is a good host name...)

Volunteers?

tsh said:
fearofshorts said:
And I think that the web-browser should save .PNDs by default to the correct folder. That'd make things easier.
Again, maybe quite tricky, since you have a choice of SD cards, it could only work with the built in browser, etc. Far better would be be to get a single working browser installed by default.
A browser extension/plugin would be an elegant solution. Detect that a PND is clicked and ask which SD card to save to and if it should appear in in menu/desktop/both.

Yea Firefox for Pandora needs a new download file dialog anyway as navigating with the built in one is a bit of a pain. Hopefully if somebody decides to tackle that they'll cover the 'install app' issue. But as you said, it needs to be in whatever the default browser is. And the default browser needs to have its homepage set to the app-store (and be able to render it properly!)

http://pandorawiki.org/Quickstart

Wasn't sure what to use as an example for an app download, contributions welcome. (and corrections, this was from memory)

I also think this starter-pack with some basics and any patches would be a good thing

not concidering expense here but..
Including an SD card that included all this info in a PND and also a single text file read_me which explains how to install a PND.
That way the user learns the lesson number one - installing PND, and then has all the rest to hand

Ok i'm reading a lot of interesting things here. But i think the focus of this topic at least should be to have a one download package. I know personally how frustrating it is not to have a decent connection, and you always find the most interesting stuff when your connection is worst.
Also, now please correct me if i'm wrong, a community made startup package could probably also contain some of the latest fullspeed working emu's? ;)

tsh said:
http://pandorawiki.org/Quickstart
Now that's a nice start, but i was personally thinking about something a bit more elaborate:
Code:
 New User Quickstart Manual  

Section 1 getting your pandora up and running 
-first charge 
-basic controls and how to configure/reset them 
-pre-installed stuff 
-get hotfix 
-get and use codec pack  

Section 2 Installing new Software 
-Games 
-Emulators 
-Appdata folder and Data Packs  

Section 3 Adding (USB) stuff 
-mouse/keyboard(plug n play stuff) 
-usb 1.1 vs 2.0 and adding a hub 
-mobile connections 
-wifi 
-game controllers  

Section 4 Developers 
-Codesourcery locations and install guide for linux/windows) 
-Stuckies dev stuff   

Appendici  

* Forum Q&A from help section 
* general linux tips and keycombo's 
* general linux terminal commands 
* PND specifications

Now this is in no way a complete, or order reviewed manual setup, but i thought i'd share at least the basics.
Also, allmost all topics don't have to be written, they can be found somewhere on the internet. Just have to be copy pasted and layout adjusted. Everything with source reference ofc.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

If you want to use my Newcomer's Glossary in there, you're very welcome to do so.

I'd be happy to write up a more formal version more suited to a guide than the forum, if that'd be any good, too. :p

Oh feel free to make any appendix or write/add sections!! I am in no way in control of this, just have a bit of time i can, and like to spend on it.

Thought it was a good initiative, been thinking a bit about it past day, and i know how most good initiatives end if there is no structure at all. So i put up the basic structure that i came up with for the community to expand/change and fill. although everybody PLEASE!!! keep in mind that this is a new user start up package, i know some of you can get enthousiastic ;)

Edit: A basic package of PND's needs to be selected too. I'm not touching that one, so: Discuss!!

MarkoeZ said:
Edit: A basic package of PND's needs to be selected too. I'm not touching that one, so: Discuss!!
I do think a lot of the "default" apps could be moved to PNDs to leave more space on the NAND for more important stuff... like libraries and build tools. :p

Aninhumer said:
MarkoeZ said:
I do think a lot of the "default" apps could be moved to PNDs to leave more space on the NAND for more important stuff... like libraries and build tools. :p
I agree, saving to the appdata folder too, which would be automatic if the apps were pnd only.

I'm inclined to agree also. As useful as the built-in apps are, I'd hazard a guess that a great many users are probably like myself, and actually only use one or two of them, whilst the rest are just taking up space.

I'd much rather have the ability pick and choose with everything, and keep all of my apps (even the things like a text editor and other basics), together on my SD Card. :p

MarkoeZ said:
Now that's a nice start, but i was personally thinking about something a bit more elaborate:
So that stuff is mostly covered in the wiki already, and is the reason that the user guide http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual is quite a mess. There is also an index of documentation, sorted into approximate user skilz levels.
http://pandorawiki.org/Tutorials_and_documentation

Quickstart has some value because it avoids choice and confusion. The user guide will probably become more of a readable index to the wiki, with each section looking more like the firmware section http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual#Firmware
i.e. a link to a hub page, and a couple of paragraphs of introduction.

Bear in mind that of maybe 20 contributors to the wiki in the past month, only 2-3 have been looking at the overall structure and the guide aspect. There is much more to do, and the structure can evolve as more content is written. It is slowly moving from a pre-order and developer support site to a user and developer site.

One thing which might be good is a list of top apps to install first, since the full app lists are a little overwhelming.

tsh said:
fearofshorts said:
I like the idea of it automatically setting up the SD folders (when a windows-style box, the one that appears when it detects removable storage).
So you're talking a built in help system which reacts to events, like the paperclip thing. This is probably more work than you think.

Actually I'm just talking about the windows 'auto-run' window. Windows scans every storage device when it detects them and picks up on the contents of the device in question. It then offers a list of options ("Browse folder", "Open pictures in Windows Photo Gallery", "Watch movies in Windows Media Player" etc.) to the user.

Why not simply have the Pandora scan an inserted SD card (which it does already) and, if it cannot find the correct folders, ask if the user wants to create them?

fearofshorts said:
Actually I'm just talking about the windows 'auto-run' window. Windows scans every storage device when it detects them and picks up on the contents of the device in question. It then offers a list of options ("Browse folder", "Open pictures in Windows Photo Gallery", "Watch movies in Windows Media Player" etc.) to the user.
IMHO this is a horribly annoying feature, surpassed only by Mac OS X's inexcusable desire to scribble Spotlight index files onto any and all removable media it comes across.

Why not simply have the Pandora scan an inserted SD card (which it does already) and, if it cannot find the correct folders, ask if the user wants to create them?
This would be cool, though ;-)

Back