Pandora [Pandora] Skull

Geca

Website
www.gecasoft.no.sapo.pt
More tests with BennuGD.

It appears that the port of BennuGD to Pandora has the code of the Linux version, for those who do not know, is a code that is attributed in the compilation of BennuGD and identify the target OS.

Well, I tried the multiplataform version of Skull (Windows, Linux & GP2X Wiz)​​, and of course, as the game is believed to be on Linux (and indeed it is xD), we can choose 4 different resolutions, has more details, best explosions and a better fps that the Wiz/Caanoo versions (in GPH consoles the fps is 35fps and in PC/Linux/Pandora is 50fps), the game have the option to Fullscreen, and the game look very nice at fullscreen :)

Everything works perfect, except the external joystick, if we go to the options and choose, because even though it connects via USB to the Pandora, this is not detected by BennuGD :(

skullmultiveronpandora2.jpg

skullmultiveronpandora.jpg

Hey, that's Skull Man from Mega Man 4! How have I not heard of this before? :p

milkshake said:

I try to make a pnd this weekend, i want to pakage the existing multiplataform version, but pnd make bennu games a little slower, i need to test if the game still running fast with a pnd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx, works well for me !

Just 2 things :

- is it possible to save the choice of the resolution ? Each time I launch I have to choose 1-4.

- Is it possible to remap the JUMP key ? Start is not really easy to use

Thanks a lot !

Not a bad game - just some small points:

1. Save the resolution. Really. That is just a pain having to reset it every time I play.
2. Set up some pandora-default keys rather than the keyboard. Not many people expect to have to set them up when a console has dedicated game controls.
3. The mouse pointer is pretty much invisible on the main menu - needs to stand out more.
4. Can't skip the story or intro movies by pressing a button or key. I don't need to see them twice.

The game itself plays really well, I'm quite surprised. After the awful sluggish behaviour of most homebrew platformers (I'm looking at you, Giana's Return; that game runs smooth but the characters move like they're flying through treacle - nothing like the original game, or indeed the superior DS remake). Your game is really nice to control.

Level layout needs some tweaking; there is no indication that you'll die falling off a crate at the bottom of the map - water or something to indicate that you can't move further down is needed.

Oh, and get rid of the "thanks for playing" splashscreen on exit - when I click "exit" I really would like to quit, not have to click it and then press escape. The only time that's really excusable is when there's the option to back out and continue playing, which that splash-screen doesn't appear to offer.

Nice game, really enjoying it - looking forward to further refinements!

3.5/5

D.

My thoughts are very similar to Dunny's. The look and feel of gameplay are fantastic, great stuff. :) A few bits of feedback...

- One-off resolution selection
- One more resolution option: Fullscreen 640x400. Even though I said hooray for widescreen platformers, I would rather preserve the aspect ratio and have black borders.
- In the game menu, it would be good if the first option was already highlighted, and you could just cycle through with the d-pad.
- B should be the default button for Jump and everything else (including what Enter does now - skipping text etc)
- X would be my preferred default for Fire
- The exit splash screen doesn't bother me too much, but any input should exit from there - X, B, touch, etc.

Dunny and Gruso have already said pretty much everything I would have said, so I won't repeat it, suffice to say that I agree with their points. :p

However, I would suggest that the default button for firing should be "A", and the default for jumping should be "X" - this matches the layout used by the SNES Mega Man titles, and is nicely ergonomical.

By the way, I liked the touch of using those little enemy robots that strongly resemble Eddie, since he's from the other side of the good-guy/bad-guy divide from Skull Man. :lol:

Prometheus said:
However, I would suggest that the default button for firing should be "A", and the default for jumping should be "X" - this matches the layout used by the SNES Mega Man titles, and is nicely ergonomical.

I disagree - My A button is squishy (and I'm buggered if I'm breaking my warranty fixing Craig's faults) so I tend to avoid using it. I prefer X to fire and B to jump; this is nicely logical to me as the pressing the jump button is achieved by moving my right thumb up/right, like a little jump :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back