Pandora selection

mvolkel

Still Fresh
hi,

im new to the pandora-world and i finally decided to get one, before the next generation is out. i wonder, if somebody here can advise me, which version to buy. i would mainly run amiga,snes & megadrive-emulators under linux. dont need (another...) android device, dont like 3d-games either. in my opinion the pandora-classic-version (256MB) would be sufficient. am i right ??

kind regards,

MaRiO

thanks evildragon. in the specs i cant see any difference regarding wifi. what does "better wifi" mean ?

Fixed up wifi at board level.

On later CC models the fix was to solder a piggybag resistor on top of a smd one.

Rebirts have that fixed already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us bought external usb wifi (I have an old TP-Link TL-WN821N which works out of the box) or a USB to ethernet adapter (more cumbersome, but faster, and radiation free... if you worry about that sort of thing. Mine is a LogiLink).

Welcome to the club! It has a learning curve (its not that steep if you already know linux a bit), and getting the emulators to run can be a bit puzzling/daunting, but once it runs... pure linux heaven in a small form factor.

Here is some mandatory information: http://pandorawiki.org/Quickstart

i was watching the pandora for years. not that it is super-important for me, but i kept forgetting about at times. i think with the upcoming of a brand-new version (pyra), its the best time to get the original one for a good price. especially because i dont really need it to run fancy 3d-games or emulators of newer consoles. all what i need it for is mainly an amiga-emulator. the amiga is (and always was) my favourite computer/console of all times. i believe with the pandora i finally get my portable amiga. i might get an wifi-adapter for the pure linux-side, but on the other side, there was no wifi on my amiga. that was the time where the www just came up and my amiga was never connected to the internet...thanks to all for advising me. i will order the classic today...

kind regards,

MaRiO

i noticed that iif you downclock  the 1ghz version towards 600mhz or even lower the remaining time of the battery exceeds drastically. Actually  can not bencmark this with CC version but i use to tthrottle down my pandora for normal day use ...

...order placed! i should have my pandora-classic be the end of the week. so if you "downclock" your 1ghz pandora to the classic-level, i guess, i will be quite happy with my classic...:)

excellent stuff! just had a look at the pandora-repo (http://repo.openpandora.org/) and literally all the apps that i need are in the "most downloaded" section. the only emulator i couldnt find is a hp48-emulator. the best calculator ever made btw. looks like its not ported to pandora (yet), but apart from that im really impressed of the pandora-world...

thanks! So it already build in. As  i got it right via the gui the upper level is set

thanks ptitseb. i didnt find it on a first look! a hp48-emulator is a big "must have" for me on every device i have. im really looking forward for my pandora-classic now...:)

thanks ptitseb. i didnt find it on a first look! a hp48-emulator is a big "must have" for me on every device i have. im really looking forward for my pandora-classic now...:)
A math person! You are going to love the other math tools there are on the Pandora.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=all&subcat=Math&s=new

(hmm... these miss the tag Math: SpeedCrunch and Genius and even SWI-Prolog)

I never did get the hp48 (Of course I drooled back then, when they could write a complete mario game in these little devices), I had an FX880p.

There is even this one emulated:  Casio FX702p (also missing the math tag).

I use reduce (in the caspack) for some heavy work, or just perl/python from the commandline for normal math.

...my pandora is on the way and should arrive today! im not a math person, im more into cad and programming. mainly embedded stuff and server-based applications, but once you get used to the hp48, you just dont want anything else. i bought my hp48g (!) about 20 years ago and yes, i still have it. its place is always next to my main computer at home. it gets still used on a daily base and already looks a bit crusty btw, but it does an excellent job for me. using other pocket calculators or even calculator-programs can be a real pain in the b*t. especially if you are not at home and you need a pocket calculator, its a relief to have an hp48-emulator on every device!

by looking into the repository, its looks like there are more uses for the pandora than i thought! you could even run a spreadsheet program and do some deeper analysis on the go and wherever you want...

kjkbitl3.jpg

more into cad and programming

You might be interested in Sage:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sage.wb

and OpenSCAD:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=openscad.wb

a bit offtopic but is there something like the cpu frequency scaling available for he pandora or is it already there and i missed it :rolleyes:
http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16984-performance-and-memory-questions/page-2#entry355673

In the next update of Pandora System Info you'll be able to easily pick a governor.

...had my pandora delivered today! have installed a few apps and was no disappointed at any point, seriously! its a fantastic piece of kit. the touchscreen, the keyboard, the joysticks, even the wifi, everything works a treat. im really impressed of it and im sure i can find more uses than uae4all for that. thanks to all of you here for advising me!

Have fun with it! Lots of stuff to discover...

If I would hypothetically be stuck for years on an uninhabited island where food and shelter are no issue, and I could bring half a kilogram of equipment of my choosing, it would be a Pandora with two big SD cards (filled with the repo and a selection of music and books), and a pocket solar charger :)

Back