Pandora Screen Tilt Angle

paddy

Website
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before but i cant find reference to it ,i wanted to know how
far back the pandora display tilts as i think it would be important when typing on
the keyboard when the pandora is in the users hands and not sitting on a flat surface.

The umid M1 umpc has a big problem with the screen tilt and the problem makes typing
and looking at the display a real problem so i just hope the Pandora doesnt have
any problems like this.

I was wandering about this for a while now...
But I guess even if Pandora doesn't have a great screen angle, it's OK... Since the keyboard only occupies the lower half of the devide, I'm sure there is a plenty of space for us to see the screen.

If that;s not the case, we can always type holding the pandora and just using our thumbs. Which is not the fasts way to type, but still quite natural and easy...

I'm 99.9999% sure it fully opens to 170 degrees - but you don't have to have use it in that position of course. Much like a DS. I'd find a source, but as you've discovered the search terms are tricky ones.

Near-kun said:
If that;s not the case, we can always type holding the pandora and just using our thumbs. Which is not the fasts way to type, but still quite natural and easy...
Thumb typing it what it's designed for. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
paddy said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but i cant find reference to it ,i wanted to know how
far back the pandora display tilts SNIP

From looking at as many of the prototype vids that are about where the screen is open or being opened it seems to be around 100° to 110° max

Gruso said:
I'm 99.9999% sure it fully opens to 170 degrees - but you don't have to have use it in that position of course. Much like a DS. I'd find a source, but as you've discovered the search terms are tricky ones.

Near-kun said:
Thumb typing it what it's designed for. ;)

Well, just made a simulation with my DS here.
At 90 degrees (which pandora obviously can open wider), thumb typing still allow to fully view the screen.
At 90 degrees, normal typing is also feasible, but you have to keep it on a surface high enough. Almost at the height of your eyes.
At 170 degrees, thumb typing feels even better, since you can vies both the screen and what you're typing
At 170 degrees, normal typing is possible in any position, given you have a surface to place it. (of course, you can hold the device with one hand and type with the other, which too is very nice and do not compromise your view...)

ANYWAY, I'm almost sure it supports at least 120 degrees... Less then that is plain dumb.

annthracks said:
From looking at as many of the prototype vids that are about where the screen is open or being opened it seems to be around 100° to 110° max
That's because they're prototypes, without a proper hinge. It will open to an almost flat position.

Hey, you edited your post. :ph34r:

Anyway, here's a prototype that busts the 110° barrier, as amusingly as possible: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6qcnqLZC_uY

Hey, that's cheating!!
The lid of this prototype is actually loose!!
The lid is just placed on the notebook -.-

I saw this prototype before on other youtube, and there are moments where you can see the lid almost falling from the main console -.-

Near-kun said:
Hey, that's cheating!!
The lid of this prototype is actually loose!!
The lid is just placed on the notebook -.-

I saw this prototype before on other youtube, and there are moments where you can see the lid almost falling from the main console -.-

That is because the prototypes had no spring in the hinge, there was nothing holding them open or closed.

i have a question, pause for effect...

at what angle does the hinge "click" or snap into place
the ds snaps at liek 120 and 180 degrees

i remember either Craig or Evil saying it has the same hinge as the ds

Gruso? ;)

I hope it does have a DS style top half (hopefully even stronger) or using the touch screen will be a real pain...

I *almost* agree with Gruso. The case itself is clearly able to do 180, it depends on if the hinge friction device thingy is going to limit that. I recall it is supposed to be the same or very similar device that the ds uses. So does anyone know how far the DS opens? I thought it was 180.

BackAssward said:
I *almost* agree with Gruso. The case itself is clearly able to do 180, it depends on if the hinge friction device thingy is going to limit that. I recall it is supposed to be the same or very similar device that the ds uses. So does anyone know how far the DS opens? I thought it was 180.
Yeah it goes all the way back to 180.

(naw)mcx said:
BackAssward said:
Just to clarify... you are confirming the DS does 180, correct? I don't want to get any excitable people thinking you are confirming the Pandora does. Even so, that's a good omen.

BackAssward said:
(naw)mcx said:
BackAssward said:
Just to clarify... you are confirming the DS does 180, correct? I don't want to get any excitable people thinking you are confirming the Pandora does. Even so, that's a good omen.
Yeah, the DS does

Gruso said:
Not mine... http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/Gruso/dshinge.jpg
29e5pc.jpg

EDIT:
My 1,900 post was of a DS hinge.

yeah.

Back