Any News About The Analog Stick Controling The Mouse Cursor?

Schprlock

Still Fresh
I know it has been sugested, but after searching the foruns I didn't get any conclusive reply. I think it is very important that the cursor can be controled in another way besides the touch screen, for when you don't get two hands free or when you're typing and don't want to leave the keyboard to pick up the stylus. I think the analog stick is the obvious way to do it,
Will that be an option? Which analog controler will to it (left or right?)? The other one could be used for things like scrolling. Beat that for quick browsing, notebooks!

I agree. Whether it is left or right though should depend on if the person is left-handed or right-handed, so it should be able to be changed easily (GUI configuration).

To be honest, that's not up to the OpenPandora guys - at best, the controls will be exposed by the API, and it will be up to the individual devs to decide on how that is used, whether it be a mouse pointer control, or game control.

D.

Scope out http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43762 to see some of the current keyboard layouts being discussed.

These include analog stick uses etc. I've seen a couple examples where the left analog is used to control the mouse so that you can click with your right thumb on the buttons assigned to left/middle/right for the mouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
OrR said:
In games, yes. I believe the question was about the operating system GUI.
Indeed, I meant the GUI and especially things like the Firefox which, as far as I know, will be part of the software pack we get when we receive the pandora. Also, ports like AbiWord or GNumeric would benefit a lot, so I think it should at least be standerdized (is this a word?).
The videos showing Ubuntu running on Pandora are excellent, and again Ubuntu would benefit a lot from using the analog stick to control the mouse cursor.
I know that in what concerns individual ports it will be down to the developer, but I wish there was a standard way to do it. For exemple, in the GP2X, the standard was 'B'=OK, 'X'=Back. It was annoying to have software like the Mame Emu using 'A' to confirm, or gp2xmb (excellent otherwize) following the PSP by default ('X'=OK).

And yes, I read the thread regarding keyboard configurations (although I confess I didn't read it all) but didn't find a "definitive" way to do it.

Schprlock said:
And yes, I read the thread regarding keyboard configurations (although I confess I didn't read it all) but didn't find a "definitive" way to do it.
Ahhh, but did you read all the threads in both forums? yawn... ;)

There has been no official news on keyboard / cursors etc or even much in the way of OS or how the GUI will work (only snippets), so we will all have to wait patiently for official news. It is generally believed that we will be able to use the nubs for cursor control.

edit:typo

The beta nubs control the mouse on the PC so, yes, it should work fine for that.

We should have some new photos of the new boards this week, the first ones have arrived.

craigix said:
The beta nubs control the mouse on the PC so, yes, it should work fine for that.

We should have some new photos of the new boards this week, the first ones have arrived.
Awesome, can't wait to see :D

craigix said:

Excellent news. Based on what ED said, I presume the cases will be a wee while yet though.

Yes, we don't want to CNC more test cases than we have to really. Although you might see the working keyboard and controls before you see the final case (if that makes any sense!)

craigix said:
Yes, we don't want to CNC more test cases than we have to really. Although you might see the working keyboard and controls before you see the final case (if that makes any sense!)

No point wasting the cash on CNC.

There are a lot of people looking forward to seeing the keyboard and controls: one of the biggest unknowns, hardware-wise.

Back