Pandora reboots after displaying logo

wwinfrey

Still Fresh
Hello - I own a first generation OpenPandora. It's been sitting in a drawer for the last couple years, but I recently decided I would try and get it up to speed with the latest OS. The battery died a couple years back, so I ordered a new battery & case from Germany (I live in the US), then tried to boot it up (sans battery) using via USB, which didn't work, so I ordered a PSP 5V 2A adapter.

It came in the mail today, and I plugged it into the Pandora, I plugged it in and watched the logo come up, then fade out, then come up again, fade out, repeat.

I tried holding down the R key while plugging in the Pandora but it didn't alter the behavior. Is my Pandora toast? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you received the replacement battery yet?

For some reason I've never been able to fathom not all Pandoras will work without a battery.

I haven't - and I hadn't changed the data on the SD cards either. Hopefully that's what it is, but regardless, kind of a bummer.

First thing is that the power management chip is not specified to work without a battery, so it's kind of an extra feature that sometimes works. In practice it does seem to work on most pandoras.

What may be the case is that your pandora has an older OS that doesn't configure the power chip correctly to work without a battery. You can try to reflash, the reflash program does the right thing I think and should work without the battery, just follow the instructions in this thread:

How did you battery die BTW?

Last edited by a moderator:
My battery did the thing where the cells expanded. I tried to do a warranty replacement, got sent part of an iPod game controller instead of the battery (yeah, I know), sent follow-up emails to no avail.

It did work once I got the battery (which arrived today) and now I'm running 1.72. I haven't tried without the battery yet. It's been fun getting back up to speed on the Pandora, though. I'd forgotten what a great little device it was.

Back