Pandora Questions And Answers

I believe so - I think DJWillis (who, if memory serves, is the source of the quote) mentioned it not too long ago. Great link, still - good to see (also good to see the link linked to in the link). :D

Are there pics available of the final hardware design's ports?

Are the USB ports mini or standard size?

Drack said:
Are there pics available of the final hardware design's ports?

Are the USB ports mini or standard size?
It has one of both, if I'm not completely mistaken. At least i recall a mini USB in the renders.

Last edited by a moderator:
So should I keep it on the GBAX.com site until tomorrow to see the exact preoder begins

uhm..

hello all, i just wanna know 1 thing.

if is posible play mmorpg's in stand alone clients, like tibia, or dofus.

peace-

I was wondering if/when the preorders are sold out and the units delivered (hopefully) at the end of November, when and for how much in 2009 are the next versions going for?

I would assume that the same price would apply, $330 excluding VAT.

How soon into 2009 would the next batch be shipping out?

I hope the rush hasn't crushed the servers too much ;)

Hi,

I am considering a purchase of the Pandora. But i was wondering how good the keyboard is, specifically:

1. Could anyone supply me with the actual size in MM of one individual key?
2. How does the key size stack up to a normal keyboard (i use a Thinkpad keyboard btw)?
3. How good is the response and tactile feedback?

I ask all this because for me the Pandora would (also) be an alternative for the EEEPc. I would like to be able to do a reasonable amount of not too slow typing on it.

4. Is the keyboard close to the EEEPc or even the Aspire One in terms of usefulness or are there marked differences?

Thx!

V1nce

Hi! i just pre-ordered my pandora and feel verry confident in its emulation/multi-media/txt/paint & internet browsing capabilities and how much more potential the things created/ported it has to be unlocked and unfolded hence its name "PANDORA"
BUT!!
my main reason for buying it is the possibility of turning it into a touch screen MIDI sequencer using the many nifty and reletivly new programs that run on many linux OS' such as LMMS and ardour.

Can the pandora's specs handle a MIDI to USB cable and send MIDI messages to a MIDI intrument like a drum machine or synth. and can send the messeges fast enough to keep in time with a clock of lets say an AKAI MPC 1000?

reasons why i love the idea of using it as a portable sequencer is from my heavy influence of video game machines and music and things like LSDJ and MIDIBOX SID. it seems to fit my Visions for it

1 & 2)dont think this has been anwsered before but i got a old psion which has a full keyboard so would imagine it would be simular to that as its only slightly bigger the buttons would be between 0.5 and 1cm i would imagine. please correct me if im wrong.

3) wont know till i have a pandora
4) same as 3

It could also depend on the price of the components at the time. Like most things, they get cheaper over time so the next batch may be a bit cheaper. *shrug*

Ummmmm... I've got a bad feeling this has been mentioned somewhere before but I searched the forums and looked at the FAQ so...

What type of guarantee does the Pandora come with, I hear (on the FAQ) that if it has dead pixels you can send it back, and I'm assuming that means you could send it back because of other errors.

Also, this brings me to another question, what is the 'crashability' of the Pandora, by which I mean, how easy is it to crash or cause and error. I'm asking this because I had a hacked PSP and, I mean, press the wrong button at the wrong time on that thing, and BANG BSoD, I'm assuming it won't be as bad on the Pandora (or, nonexistent?) because of it being made for this stuff, but can someone confirm this?

Forget the Rest said:
It could also depend on the price of the components at the time. Like most things, they get cheaper over time so the next batch may be a bit cheaper. *shrug*
at the same time, deals end and fall through, relationships weaken, and prices can just as easily rise.

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be no dead pixels when you receive your pandora. If I have learnt anything from buying my GP2X and GP32, it's that craig personally checks every single console before it's sent out.

As for "crashability", that all depends on the quality of the software. In a big generalisation, GP2X devs put a lot more effort into their software than developers for hacked consoles. I don't know why, but it makes the quality of the GP2X scene like no other console scene.

On gp2x.de someone wrote that ED mentioned the size of the first batch could be increased if there were enough preorders.

Could you comment on that, craig?

on crashability: it will mostly depend on the apps you use and how well they have been ported and tested.
Also, pandora might crash sometimes on the first batch, 3000 actual users find more bugs then a handful of devs ;)
make sure u note what app crashes at what action, and report it to the developer of the app. If it's a pandora firmware bug, there will probably be a topic or a site for that.

On midi: im not a dev, not yet by far, but i've seen this question asked so many times, that there will probably be a music making, driver programmer out there to make at least one device work. And the community will make sure you will hear about it ; )

Back