Pandora Questions And Answers

Bramrash said:
What does the full price for the pandora include? (i.e. battery, power cable, tv out? are all these included? If not what is and isn't? And how much extra will they cost?)

All those things are included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to confirm something, the TV cable ISN'T included, it's too expensive to manufacture it and include it for free, so it will be an optional extra.

craigix said:
Just to confirm something, the TV cable ISN'T included, it's too expensive to manufacture it and include it for free, so it will be an optional extra.
Is there an estimated cost?

Will all distributors have it at the beginning

thanks

craigix said:
Check if the TV cable from the Archos PMA430 will work. Maybe someone still has it in stock.

EDIT: I'd check it myself, but... you know: No Pandora...

This is more of a software suggestion than a question. It's something that people have been asking for in the gp2x, but now that we're starting again with the pandora it might be a good idea to implement it from the start.

That would be the ability for emulators/apps to accept command line arguments and for the frontend (gmenu2x) to be able to browse and associate filetypes with emulators.This would mean that files can be browsed and launched directly from within the menu.
It would've been a nice idea in the gp2x, but seeing as most emulators had already been released it would've meant that everyone would've had to change their code to support this. I think it would be a good idea to implement it from the start this time around.

craigix said:
A good TV cable would be a great thing to include it into the Pandora Package. I've seen 43€ China Handhelds with Audio/Video Cable (Cinch) included, ok the Quality could be very low.
But as long such a Cable didn't cost the world I will buy it seperately. :)

craigix said:
Is this the same cable which also has the rest of the EXT-things, like serial & line in/out? In other words, would getting 1 extra cable give you all the extra I/O, or are there several different cables?

first of all i tried searching. when i seached for "white pandora" .. it gave me some results but unfortunately i didn't found what i was looking for (in the first pages)
and when i tried to search for "white" it didn't gave me any results

so.

1. i saw there is a WHITE PANDORA emoticon/smiley ... , do the developers plan to release a White pandora? it would have been nice if the first bach was white.., and the rest black ..or some other colour.

2.this is very idiotic: well.. the pandora prototype.. is rugged , has a rugged plastic. i heard that the production models will be injected molded and the finish will be different.
is there a change that the finish will be nintendo ds-like?

that's all

The only color is black... in the future that might change.

We wont know the actual finish until the cases are done but it will be some where between matte finish and glossy. Not the high-gloss fingerprint/dirt/food showing finish of the DS and PSP.

Pfft if it's not already High-Gloss, I'll just get my Jeweler's grade Sandpaper and MAKE a shine out of it.

this is actuly a really good point ,we are all desperate to buy a pandora but how many will be happy with the 1st gen colour ? i would have much prefered white ,so now that i think about it ,do you think it would
be possible to buy a different colour shell if they get produced at some point and how easy would it be to replace the shell.

sorry guys, these are impossible questions to really answer at the
moment ,but hell yeh white would have been much more sophisticated
a colour ,tho the keypad may get dirty and would look much worse
with a white case.

laurens said:
Is this the same cable which also has the rest of the EXT-things, like serial & line in/out? In other words, would getting 1 extra cable give you all the extra I/O, or are there several different cables?
I'm pretty sure that there will be more that one cable. But yes, it is on the same EXT connector. It is just too expensive make one universal full featured cable, if someone want only UART cable or someone else be fine with only A/V out cable and another one need Audio IN only.
But if there will be all including cable, I want to buy it and second one only with a few buttons for media player control.

craigix said:
That's a problem, indeed, as the EXT port is a custom one, and not a normal S-Video connector.

I hope we can preorder it with the console...

Anyway, is the EXT connector used on any other devices, like the GP2X one?

I would like to know, just in case I prefer to build my own TV-Out cable...

I would have preferred white. Even more cream with grey keys

amiga5003.jpg

I'd love to buy a themed Pandora. I had a lot of fun on one of those, and this is the handheld equivalent.

PS I had a lot of fun on one of these, and stuck up for it vehemently for it the first couple years, to my best friend ;) before I got one of 'those': but I was kidding myself :D The Blitter chip ruled!

0461ar.jpg

But for now, it's just black.

paddy said:
i would have much prefered white ,so now that i think about it ,do you think it would
be possible to buy a different colour shell if they get produced at some point and how easy would it be to replace the shell.
If memory serves, Craig mentioned at some point within the past few days that hopefully replacement casings, which I imagine would be in the default black, should be available for purchase at some point. You could, perhaps, get one of these and have it recoloured and sealed to your liking, and transplant your Pandora's guts from its stock case to the newly-recoloured one. :p

peca said:
CoMiKe said:
Anyway, is the EXT connector used on any other devices, like the GP2X one?
No, it isn't.

Thanks. :) But I already new that (and I was taking a look at the EXT connector just before my previous post).

But, if I'm not mistaken, that connector is NOT made exclusively for the Pandora.
They were searching for a connector that fit their needs (small and with enough pins), and they finally found that.

So it's very probable that the EXT connector is already used in other devices.

If would be great if it could be found at common electronics shops.

craigix said:
I curious if AV out cable can be preordered in one package with Pandora (or even bare EXT connectors)?

Back