Sales Pandora price hike?

Wow, you Australian chaps have a nice-sounding limit, there. :twisted:

Over here, whilst the import duty limit was raised from £18 to ~£118 or so, the VAT limit stayed at £18, so you still get stung for just as much as ever. (The bulk of the fees come from the VAT bit, if my memory serves me correctly. If my memory doesn't serve me quite right, that's because the result has been that I haven't been importing very much lately, as the fees I got charged on the one item I purchased after the limit-raising were about half the GBP value of the item, which itself cost less than $40 USD, and were the most I'd ever gotten stung for. :p)

Well I was attempting to preorder as well and am getting screwed by the currency conversion. I'm here in the USA and was qouted a price of $330 plus $19 for shipping but then they want me to pay 235 british pounds which currently converts to like $374 plus it seems like there may or may not be additional fees from my credit card company for purchasing in a foreign currency. I'm scared to even pay because I have no idea how many dollars will actually be charged to me. If they are going to give you a price in USD, I should just be able to pay in USD. It's ridiculous.

I emailed that Jacquelyn back about it though, hopefully they can fix it.

Did you order anything else with the Pandora? I was under the impression the $339USD was a fixed price. ;)

if all the prices are going to be converted to GBP, I think it should just be listed as such when showing the price... I mean the price in GBP should stay the same regardless, then converting that price into another currency would accommodate for the conversion rates... It's just taking advantage of the fact that the USD is fluxuating right now... since the cash they get will be in GBP, it just means they will end up getting more in random numbers because of the conversation rates...
For example, the main site posts $330 USD as the price, which equals to about 200 GBP right now... Why not just list the price as 200 GBP? Then they'll always end up with the same amount of cash in their pocket and if conversion rates are favorable, the buyer might actually end up paying less out of their own pocket, or more if the rates are unfavorable.

Chip said:
I can't speak for other countries, but in the US, my experience with customs fees has always been hit and miss. I've had products shipped from Europe and Asia many times, any I've only actually been dinged for customs fees twice. Once was for a ~$400 item, and the customs fee was ~$35. This was several years ago, so the fees may be different now.
I had no idea that the US had customs fees. I thought we had free trade with most countries, the UK being one. I've only ever bought from the UK, Germany, China, and Japan, so I haven't ordered from very many countries, but none of them did I have to pay customs.

I do feel a bit miffed that I've had to pay about £50 more than most people just because the price had been converted into dollars. I know they had reasons for doing so, but it is a little grating that others in the uk have paid a lower price for the same item, especially considering that it isn't available. I think that each country should have a uniform price. Maybe the good fellows will see to throwing me a free accessory when the little chap ships?... please?.... ok maybe not

Sugar_Kane said:
I do feel a bit miffed that I've had to pay about £50 more than most people just because the price had been converted into dollars. I know they had reasons for doing so, but it is a little grating that others in the uk have paid a lower price for the same item, especially considering that it isn't available. I think that each country should have a uniform price. Maybe the good fellows will see to throwing me a free accessory when the little chap ships?... please?.... ok maybe not
I'm miffed the currency conversion rate blew when I ordered, but you don't see me complaining on the boards.

$150 CAD. Meh. Worse things happen. ^_^

Kramy said:
Sugar_Kane said:
I'm miffed the currency conversion rate blew when I ordered, but you don't see me complaining on the boards.

$150 CAD. Meh. Worse things happen. ^_^

Perhaps not, but I don't see why you would feel the need to say so, unless it was to insinuate that you were superior to me for complaining

Sugar_Kane said:
Perhaps not, but I don't see why you would feel the need to say so, unless it was to insinuate that you were superior to me for complaining
No. It was to indicate that you were not alone. There's probably 500 people in the same boat as you. :wacko:

steelxenon said:
if all the prices are going to be converted to GBP, I think it should just be listed as such when showing the price... I mean the price in GBP should stay the same regardless, then converting that price into another currency would accommodate for the conversion rates... It's just taking advantage of the fact that the USD is fluxuating right now... since the cash they get will be in GBP, it just means they will end up getting more in random numbers because of the conversation rates...
For example, the main site posts $330 USD as the price, which equals to about 200 GBP right now... Why not just list the price as 200 GBP? Then they'll always end up with the same amount of cash in their pocket and if conversion rates are favorable, the buyer might actually end up paying less out of their own pocket, or more if the rates are unfavorable.

Possibly because like myself you see "$330? Oh that's only [xe.com >] £200" then ask for an order and get told it's £260... they really need to either change the Pandora site to list the respective USD price of the real actual price or change it so it actually says "£260" because at the moment it's pretty much a lie...

Back