Lucky Enough To Get An Email Back

http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116&Itemid=25&lang=en

the OP site actually still lists it at $330 USD google currency converter tells me that's about £200.. why did I pay £66 more than a US citizen? ;/

the OP site even says this:

"How much will it cost?
It's $330 (without VAT), to get the latest price in your currency use a conversion website such as xe.com."

lol?

I don't really care what the price is, I still think it's worth the 300€. Still waiting for a reply from ED though... expect one tomorrow or tuesday.

Paradox said:
http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116&Itemid=25&lang=en

the OP site actually still lists it at $330 USD google currency converter tells me that's about £200.. why did I pay £66 more than a US citizen? ;/

the OP site even says this:

"How much will it cost?
It's $330 (without VAT), to get the latest price in your currency use a conversion website such as xe.com."

lol?
Yeah.. I feel a little scammed, but what can you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
LuvClub said:
MrBlais said:
Yeah, as much as I would like cheaper prices, it's only fair to make people pay the same according to their country's exchange rates. It's not OP's fault, it's our shitty country's fault...

Its fine with everyone paying according to their own exchange rates, but based on what original cost?

For argument's sake lets say back then the GBP to USD was 1GBP to 1.43USD and say the cost of the materials/labour was 330USD.
Then (excluding taxes and p&p) UK people would pay 231GBP and US pay 330USD.

Now say the exchange rate improves and it is now 1GBP to 1.6USD.
Supposedly to recover original costs by OP (as the money was transferred from a GBP account in the UK), UK people would still pay the original 231GBP, but US still pay their original 330USD (now equivalent to 206.25GBP).

Why should OP lose 24.75GBP (231GBP-206.25GBP) on each subsequent US sale, while UK people need to pay the original OP outlay of 231GBP?

Wouldn't it be fairer if US people had to pay current equivalent of 231GBP (ie 369.6USD) too, to recover that same amount in that UK GBP bank account where the original funds were transferred from?

Or is it just easier to lose a bit of money on US sales for convenience sakes and to charge the UK people the full amount no matter what? Maybe the OP people are just more chummy with our US friends :)

For example if I loaned £1000 to a US friend at the 1.43 exchange rate I would expect the same amount returned in my bank account in the future (no matter how exchange rates change). If he only paid me £887.50 (based on the new rate of 1.6), I'll throw a barmy!

That is true. Increases should apply to everyone to be fair.

Count me out of this one though... I eneded payin over $450 USD; I gave the rest to development costs, so I'm covered! :p

Sorry for reviving this topic; I didn't think my question constituted a new thread. I was wondering whether or not to be worried. I am to the point where I'm just waiting for a google checkout link. I last email I received was on October 28. I have an order number. Should I send another email? Or will I just be being a nuisance?

I got an email back a few days about a week ago (so a about a week from time of sending).
They have several prices for different countries. This is what It was listed as for me:

USD PRICE

Pandora $330
Accessories:
TV OUT $19.99
CARRY CASE $19.99
BATTERY $28.99
Power Adaptor $7.99
Stylus $7.00
Dev Fund $20

Air Mail shipping $24
UPS 24/48 hr shipping $49

UK GBP PRICE

Pandora £266.20 (includes VAT)

Accessories
TV OUT £13.72
CARRY CASE £13.72
BATTERY £19.88
POWER ADAPTOR £6.30
Stylus £4.38
Dev Fund £10

Special Delivery shipping £7.20 (UK)

EURO PRICE

Pandora - 298.22 (includes VAT at 15%)
TV OUT - 15.37
CASE - 15.37
BATTERY - 22.28
ADAPTOR - 7.29
DEV FUND - 15.00
STYLUS - 5.08

Air Mail Shipping - 17.56
UPS 24/48 Hr - 36.97
(not sure if I am supposed to post all this, but I figure it would be alright. Bear in mind these were the prices at the time of this posting, I am sure they could change later on)

I am paying by cheque, and they gave me a price of $373.99 USD. They informed that I am to pay in today's exchange rate (I am paying in CAD).

im still patiently waiting for my invoice for the $400 i wonna spend on my panda, tvout, case, s&h, and small dev fund to even it out to $400

DaMummy said:
im still patiently waiting for my invoice for the $400 i wonna spend on my panda, tvout, case, s&h, and small dev fund to even it out to $400
Telling us won't make that happen. You need to contact OP again. They may have lost your mail.

Well i've just read this thread and am now thoroughly confused by the whole exchange rate thing.

Acoording to the GBAX website today, a Pandora will cost $330 which at the current exchange rate comes out at £198.57.

Seeing as that's whats stated that's the price i should be charged ( plus VAT @ 15% which brings it to £228.36 )

Anything else is false advertising.

Irrespective of the currency that the components are purchased in and the currency of the companies country, if you advertise at that price then that's the price you charge.

The openpandora team really need to get a handle on this as they are wide open to legal action imho, and that would be a real shame.

So, I basically paid £30 more than I should have been charged. And to think I regretted not paying the Dev fund...

Or, you can just suck it up and accept you have paid what you paid at the time (which you deemed a fair price, because you paid it). Conversion rates have changed, and the project is barely breaking even at this point - don't you think OP having to process 4000 incremental refunds (or extra charges for people that paid less) will be a little unfair on all parties as each one will cost OP more money to process. This is one of the risks you take to be a first batcher.

Gricey said:
Or, you can just suck it up and accept you have paid what you paid at the time (which you deemed a fair price, because you paid it). Conversion rates have changed, and the project is barely breaking even at this point - don't you think OP having to process 4000 incremental refunds (or extra charges for people that paid less) will be a little unfair on all parties as each one will cost OP more money to process. This is one of the risks you take to be a first batcher.
Or maybe they can change it from $330 to whatever it is actually costing us?

Yeah I agree people in the uk should atleast be asked to pay something closer to the us price,why should we pay more than the us thats not on.I better stop cause I am already in trouble for this for bringing up the price diffence for uk customers.

:rolleyes: It's tax law, it applies to every product in every country. When I buy local goods in Australia, I pay GST (the equivalent of your VAT). If you ordered something from here, you wouldn't pay GST because you're not in Australia.

Bumping threads this way is frowned on, FYI. :) Once they're a few months old they're considered dead.

Heh, I want to get a post in before this is locked.

In the USA, there's no tax upon sale for online purchases unless the company operates some sort of retail or distribution center within the state from which the order is being placed.

USA! USA! :lol:

Tokiopop said:
Yeah.. I feel a little scammed, but what can you do.

It's unfortunate, but that's not an uncommon feeling.

@Stan - I look forward to the day when you can say "I told you" so as you play with your gizmo. Though I hope you can keep it in check somewhat. After all, it's not like I think the Pandora is bad idea, on the contrary, at one time I found the thing to be highly desirable. The execution on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired. I certainly couldn't recommend that someone buy into this project, but let's all hope that the scam theory just turns out to be the product of irony.

Gruso said:
:rolleyes: It's tax law, it applies to every product in every country. When I buy local goods in Australia, I pay GST (the equivalent of your VAT). If you ordered something from here, you wouldn't pay GST because you're not in Australia.

No, it's not. Not unless tax in the UK is 40%.

brasco03 said:
Yeah I agree people in the uk should atleast be asked to pay something closer to the us price,why should we pay more than the us thats not on.I better stop cause I am already in trouble for this for bringing up the price diffence for uk customers.

Dont bump

Enverex said:
Gruso said:

No, it's not. Not unless tax in the UK is 40%.
To quote myself:

limetang said:
Firstly, £273 would include special delivery shipping, so you're actually only paying £266.20 for the Pandora. If we convert 330 USD into GBP, we get £214.68 plus VAT (17.5%), giving us £252.24. Admittedly, you could argue that you're being overcharged by about £14, but it's probably not worth it. Keep in mind that buyers in the US probably have to pay a lot more for postage if they want their Pandoras quickly, and could have to pay customs charges, so I wouldn't be surprised if, overall, UK buyers end up paying less (well, excluding VAT at least, but that's not Craig's fault).
If we were to assume that the £51.52 extra was all tax, then that would still only be 24%. Mind telling me where you got the extra 16% from?

Back