Pandora Pandora Panic

Speaking of bubbles, how about a game, where you shoot an arow to pop the vista bubble... Then maybe do something else... or just watch the window breaks hitting the pavement, and get eaten by viruses ;p I'm not a programmer, so that's why I come here, to sell the idea to you ;) Have a niche day ;)

We don't want to hate on Vista too much, there are sensitive types that think the BadVista game is a little too much, even though it's just a bit of fun.

Greetings from Chile btw!
I'll just update what I've been working on
  • Practicing my rusty Spanish
  • Dancing
  • Drinking...
  • More Dancing
  • More Drinking
  • Repeat some more
  • Meeting all my relatives, There's a lot O_O
  • Trying to optimise this comp since it's very sloooow(my cousin's)
Vacationing aside, I have manged to find time to be busy...
  • Rewriting the structure of the differing render targets preparing for the move to an accelerated format. This is still in progress... I'm first getting the PENJIN_GL target up and running since there is existing code in the classes, lot's of things need updating here. Once I have PP! running in GL mode, I'll add some GLES(2.0) code to the classes.
  • I've also had the idea that I can remove the need of passing the SDL_Surface* to the screen to render using SDL. Instead I can get the screen* on class init and store the pointer within each class. It obviously adds to mem usage, but not substantially since it's a pointer. This would make some of the code a lot cleaner between differing render targets.
I'm going to focus on things to do with improving Penjin itself while I'm somewhat disconnected, so hopefully when I'm back in the UK we will have some nice updates in time for Pandora launch? :rolleyes:

Later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, having a blast here!

I have an important note, however.
If you try to visit either projectinfinity.org.uk or pirate-games.co.uk you will see that my account has been suspended.

I'm trying to resolve this, I have paid, money has been deducted from my account and yet my account is still suspended... so yeah pretty crappy when trying to sort this out away from home...

We don't want to hate on Vista too much, there are sensitive types that think the BadVista game is a little too much, even though it's just a bit of fun.
Well, it's not about hating. It's reality ;p nah, kiddin. Well, I've just submitted my sugestion of a mistake, and an Idea... to make it even, you could add something about apple aswell... for example: a spinning apple which you have to bite correctly in order to make the original apple logo ;) points given by comparison with the original one ;) how 'bout that?

programmers, feel free to use those ideas, as I am not a programmer...

how 'bout an OS battles game? ;p
Windows: HALO attack! > Linux: Wine - No Sound!!! -3HP
BSOD attack ;p

I guess that a dozen of users would have to come up with pros and cons of all those OSes... how bout Haiku, Reactos? they would most likely loose as of today...

how 'bout that?

programmers, feel free to use those ideas, as I am not a programmer...

how 'bout an OS battles game? ;p
Windows: HALO attack! > Linux: Wine - No Sound!!! -3HP
BSOD attack ;p

I guess that a dozen of users would have to come up with pros and cons of all those OSes... how bout Haiku, Reactos? they would most likely loose as of today...
Err, sorry, but i don't quite see how all of this is relative to the PandoraPanic! project. Badvista is just a small joke, nothing more. And no os wars are attempted/encouraged/held by the PandoraPanic! team of volunteers

Thanks for the suggestions, but try to have a bit more original idea if you submit one. Or code a game yourself ofcourse, i learned it, so can you ; )

Edit: easy...

oh well... ;p couldn't find much info about the ideas behind the pandora panic project... guess i should work less and browse more ;)

Well, hi there, I'm pretty new to the forums (first post, yay), but watched it for some time now and also ordered a pandora of the first branch.

I noticed this project and I remembered a game I started making a year ago (development is currently "paused" though).
It is a touchscreen-based game for the Archos 605 and it's made in Flash and I have no experience in C/C++ Coding (only Delphi, a bit Java, Flash and PHP, gotta start learning some C ;) ), so I can't currently help making games, but I thought I might post it here anyway, because maybe you find some of the games interesting and try to code them for PandoraPanic. If you are interested, PM/E-Mail me and I can tell you how I did it in Flash, so you don't have to code everything from scratch.

So here is the game, keep in mind it's a demo from a early alpha, so there is no music and it's lacking some animations - everything can be controlled with the mouse and there is also a highscore list:
http://brainmash.piranho.de/touch_that/tou...33;%20demo1.swf (around 350KB)
Also keep in mind that it was developed for the Archos 605 on which nearly all games run much slower (especially the Pong-type one).

More info on some of the games can be found here: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?p=125836#p125836

Well, I might not be able to code games, but I would like to help with drawing graphics for games you are developing.
So if you are searching for a mediocre artist for a game, just PM/E-Mail me (I have improved since I made that demo and also have a Wacom-Tablet now) ;)

On another note, I once made a mock-up of a level-selector for my game (mentioned above), which you might want to give a look:
http://foxblock.googlepages.com/level_selector.jpg
The TV would show a preview image of the level and the remote control would be used to browse.

Well thats all - keep up the good work, devs

foxblock out

I had actually thought (totally independently) of making a game like the pong one for PandoraPanic. You'd control each of the 4 paddles independently though, using the D-pad and the game buttons. I'll have to program that at some point...

Progress is going well with bringing the classes up to date... I've also ordered my blue OGL ES2 programming guide. Hopefully I can make some quick tweaks to the code and add the ES2 support when I'm back in the UK.

I'm also adding more dynamic code with templates, where possible. I hope the changes will be appreciated.

http://brainmash.piranho.de/touch_that/tou...33;%20demo1.swf[/URL] (around 350KB)
Also keep in mind that it was developed for the Archos 605 on which nearly all games run much slower (especially the Pong-type one"].

More info on some of the games can be found here: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?p=125836#p125836
Well, I might not be able to code games, but I would like to help with drawing graphics for games you are developing.
So if you are searching for a mediocre artist for a game, just PM/E-Mail me (I have improved since I made that demo and also have a Wacom-Tablet now) ;)

On another note, I once made a mock-up of a level-selector for my game (mentioned above), which you might want to give a look:
http://foxblock.googlepages.com/level_selector.jpg
The TV would show a preview image of the level and the remote control would be used to browse.

Well thats all - keep up the good work, devs

foxblock out

There's some good ideas for some mouse/ts based games there. I do also like the level select concept image, although it would be difficult to create a similar effect under the current SDL based rendering.

Thanks for sharing, hopefully someone can take some inspiration from this.

So, I think I am going to make something for this, now to check if my idea hasn't been taken already, and to flesh out what my idea is :p

EDIT: Just a quick note, its giving errors on compile, it cant find SDL_rotozoom, but when I went to get that library, it says (on their site) its been depreciated and you should use SDL_gfx instead. This error is in PenjinBase/Image.h

We do use SDL_gfx, SDL_rotozoom is part of that lib now! :)

If you downloaded the MingW bundled version of Code::Blocks, it comes with all the relevant libs.

I also recommend to use Pickle's Code::Blocks GP2X devkit if you are going to be doing any GP2X dev since project files are setup to be compatible with this.

Hope that clarifies things a little. This info is supposed to be on our wiki... although it may need updating.

If you downloaded the MingW bundled version of Code::Blocks, it comes with all the relevant libs.
I also recommend to use Pickle's Code::Blocks GP2X devkit if you are going to be doing any GP2X dev since project files are setup to be compatible with this.

Hope that clarifies things a little. This info is supposed to be on our wiki... although it may need updating.

I actually just downloaded whatever version that was on the website :p (I already have a dev environment set up for 2 years now, don't really want to change it around much)

Ok, I will try to get the latest code from that pack.

As some may know I am working on a game called Multiventure (well it's just an idea at the moment) and I'm going to use Penjin for the programming. So I thought, why not make a mini game for PandoraPanic! to get a bit familiar with the way of coding.

I was thinking of some sort of arena game, where you have to kill all monsters on screen, the gameplay would be like the Zelda games on Gameboy (or "TLoZ: A Link to the Past" on SNES). You have to kill all enemies with your sword before times run out, and don't get hit by a monster cause you only have one life.

For the graphics I was wondering if I could do it hand-drawn and digital painted, Would that work or would it be to different from the other graphics in the game?

What do you guys think, good idea?

Sounds pretty good. Imo, I don't think graphics are a big problem, because they already differ much in the game ;)

Btw, I am currently trying to make a game (first C++ attempt, yay!).
I edited the SpaceInvaders one and created my own from the code, which already works :)
Now it's lacking some music and animation, so I have two questions:
1. What's the best way to display animations, is is possible to use animated gifs or do I have to put every frame as an independent graphic and load them one after another?
2. Is there anybody willing to make some background music for me, the game is taking place in a bar, well.. I dunno what music would fit this ;)

Well, here is a screenshot, note that the graphics are just placeholders I made in a couple of minutes and I will change them for the final (I just wanted something to look at).
The game itself is a quick-draw game, so you have to press the A-key when the beer (which slides in from the left) is in the right position. I plan to add a "second-chance" if you miss closely the first time, but I am happy I got the base running ;)
http://foxblock.googlepages.com/pp_beer01.jpg

For animation you can make an AnimatedSprite object and for the image itself you have to make a sheet of all frames in a row. when you create an AnimatedSprite object you can also choose the amount of frames that it has.

That's all I know. Maybe you can look at the Panjoust code, the birds are animated sprites.

1. What's the best way to display animations, is is possible to use animated gifs or do I have to put every frame as an independent graphic and load them one after another?
Using the Animation for animated backgrounds or AnimatedSprite classes, you can load in an animation tilesheet.
Each frame of animation should be the same dimension.
You can also individually load each frame.
EDIT: NOTE Either load a tilesheet of frames OR load them individually... DO NOT try and mix both methods of loading since I don't know wtf would happen.

The best place to look is through completed minigames that have used animation. I will give you the loading functions to get you started.
CODE
Animation anim;
anim.loadFrame("images/anim01.png");
anim.loadFrame("images/anim02.png");
anim.loadFrames("images/animSheet.png"5,1); // Describes how many tiles are stores horizontally then vertically

AnimatedSprite spr;
spr.loadFrame("images/anim01.png");
spr.loadFrame("images/anim02.png");
spr.loadFrames("images/animSheet.png"5,1); // Describes how many tiles are stores horizontally then vertically

Great to see more additions on the way.

@Dragons_Slayer: Look forward to seeing some of your artwork in the game, no matter what it is. Go nuts.

@Foxblock: I think your game needs some good redneck music, maybe honkytonk / wild west piano or something. I'm not at the point where I can compose anything original yet, but I'll look into available samples that I can paste together into a nice loop. (Legal samples of course, I'll hit up Freesound.org for starters).

Ok Foxblock, I have concocted this:

http://users.tpg.com.au/pw2007/PP-Quickdraw.ogg

Set it to repeat, it loops smoothly. If it's not what you're after, don't be shy, speak up. :)

Attribution:
CODE
drunks fighting.aif (http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=15559) By tigersound
background2(bar or pub).wav (http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=25453) By FreqMan
Sams.mp3 (http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=2688) By TexasMusicForge

Well, thanks for all your help, but I've got a problem:
Whenever I try to load an image sequence the game crashes... Do the image's dimensions have to be base 4 or 8?
here is the image I am trying to load: http://foxblock.goog.../enemypunch.png
And this is the code:
Code:
AnimatedSprite enemy;
 //----------------
 void StateSnatchABeer::render(SDL_Surface *screen) {
 //...
 enemy.loadFrames("images/SnatchABeer/enemypunch.png",4,1);
 enemy.setTransparentColour(MAGENTA);
 enemy.setCurrentFrame(0);
 enemy.setLooping(false);
 //...
 enemy.render(screen)
 }

Many thanks for the music Gruso, I really like it and will definitely include it (in fact, I already did ;) ). Great Work!

foxblock out

Back