Pandora Pandora Panic

PokeParadox said:
Yes Penjin is my general game engine framework and PandoraPanic uses those classes.
You need to checkout both repos and place PenjinBase like this:
/Projects/PandoraPanic/
/Projects/PenjinBase/

Be careful in that you don't want to conflict the .svn version files of both repos. I workaround this by junction Links in XP(Careful!) and symlinks in Xubuntu...
Another alternative would to be have a checkout folder and then copy the latest Penjin files manually to be in the correct structure as above.
Anyway I hope I haven't confused you more... :)

Ok, thanks for the fast answer. How do you work around it with symlinks?

Last edited by a moderator:
dentrado said:
PokeParadox said:
Yes Penjin is my general game engine framework and PandoraPanic uses those classes.
/Projects/PandoraPanic/
/Projects/PenjinBase/

Be careful in that you don't want to conflict the .svn version files of both repos. I workaround this by junction Links in XP(Careful!) and symlinks in Xubuntu...
Another alternative would to be have a checkout folder and then copy the latest Penjin files manually to be in the correct structure as above.

Basically I checkout PenjinBase to somewhere else in my coding folder. Create a symlink to the folder and then copy that symlink to
/Projects/
just make sure the Symlink is named PenjinBase and everything should be fine.

You can still go back to the real checkout folder and get updates and no .svn conflicting files

PokeParadox said:
dentrado said:
PokeParadox said:
/Projects/PandoraPanic/
/Projects/PenjinBase/

Basically I checkout PenjinBase to somewhere else in my coding folder. Create a symlink to the folder and then copy that symlink to
/Projects/
just make sure the Symlink is named PenjinBase and everything should be fine.

You can still go back to the real checkout folder and get updates and no .svn conflicting files

Ah, ok, clever. (but stupid that SVN can't handle it without symlinks)
Maybe I'll try to do a minesweeper minigame. I haven't programmed much and never used C++ before though, so it may take a while.

Dragons_Slayer said:
Arena is fixed, no more crashes and no more memory leaks. Many thanks to PokeParadox for finding what was causing it. I will finish the game now, have the hero fall to the ground when he is hit before going to the lose screen, music has to be finished and some fixes have to be made to the animated sprites.

Could you upload the fixed code then, because PandoraPanic! won't compile with the old one as Penjin has been updated and the default copy constructor in the Image class has been made private, which you make use of it in the old Arena code...

Okay, so I've got the code, but...
Everybody has got his own favourite tools, Code::Blocks shouldn't be necessary to build it. I can write standard Makefile or CmakeLists.txt but there's a file missing: userTypes.h.
Is this file created by C::B ? Can somebody provide it or tell me how to work this around?

dsh said:
Okay, so I've got the code, but...
Everybody has got his own favourite tools, Code::Blocks shouldn't be necessary to build it. I can write standard Makefile or CmakeLists.txt but there's a file missing: userTypes.h.
Is this file created by C::B ? Can somebody provide it or tell me how to work this around?

just create an empty userTypes.h file.
It should be in the repo though. It is just a per-project file which is intended you specify any custom types you may use, hence it's blank.

Code::Blocks certainly isn't necessary to build it, but it's what I use, cross platform and what I can provide assistance with. Any other method and you're generally on your own...

PokeParadox said:
/Projects/PandoraPanic/
/Projects/PenjinBase/

Actually, now when I have checked out the repositories I don't understand what you mean, the .svn folders is in the PandoraPanic and PenjinBase folders, not outside, how could they conflict?

EDIT:
Why does penjin have a PenjinBase folder in trunk with everything, while PandoraPanic has everything directly in trunk? if I do:
svn checkout http://pandorapanic.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ PandoraPanic
svn checkout http://penjin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ PenjinBase
Code::Blocks can't find the Penjin files because the files are not directly in PenjinBase but /PenjinBase/PenjinBase/ so i have to move them

foxblock said:
Could you upload the fixed code then, because PandoraPanic! won't compile with the old one as Penjin has been updated and the default copy constructor in the Image class has been made private, which you make use of it in the old Arena code...

Just committed it, I thought I would wait till I fixed the animations but forgot that the previous version could not compile. It should work now!

dentrado said:
PokeParadox said:
/Projects/PandoraPanic/
/Projects/PenjinBase/

Actually, now when I have checked out the repositories I don't understand what you mean, the .svn folders is in the PandoraPanic and PenjinBase folders, not outside, how could they conflict?

EDIT:
Why does penjin have a PenjinBase folder in trunk with everything, while PandoraPanic has everything directly in trunk? if I do:
svn checkout http://pandorapanic.....com/svn/trunk/ PandoraPanic
svn checkout http://penjin.google....com/svn/trunk/ PenjinBase
Code::Blocks can't find the Penjin files because the files are not directly in PenjinBase but /PenjinBase/PenjinBase/ so i have to move them

Fair enough... and I'll try to sort it out ...

Srry, i got a ton of stuff running these days, but its all over now, so could someone post some milestone reference?

objectives archieved till now
objectives to reach for the next milestone.

i got really outdated, but its late here around (just arrived from a Win 7 expo) so all catch a sleep and download the new rev.

DroneB Dev said:
objectives archieved till now
Well read the last 2 pages of the topic go the issues list on the GoogleCode, but there is not that much (mostly Arena got fixed).

DroneB Dev said:
objectives to reach for the next milestone.
  • Even out difficulty curve
  • Check game instructions (on pause screen) - spelling errors, etc.
  • Fix any major bugs (though I think there are none atm)
  • Finish the unfinished games (which should be the task of the respective developer)
  • Write a short manual
Did I forget anything?

PS: Sorry for not doing the artwork for the Fire game yet, I got overwhelmed with work, will do is this weekend (if there is still need for it)

Edit: One important thing: If you are going to download the latest version, make sure to update Penjin, too, but note that the path on the repository has changed from http://penjin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Penjin/ to http://penjin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

• Still need the PXML file finishing... I think Vaporeal said he take a crack at that.
  • I'm trying to do a lot with usability to tidy things off. Button displays on menu showing how to select/cancel
  • Any random stray bugs
  • Credits screen needs checking that everyone involved gets a mention!
  • Manual needs creating
  • Pandora controls need finalising (Pickle, did you say you were going to try and figure something out?)
  • Also to do with usability, I want to make the pause screen displayable on the SelectionBox at button press since I REALLY disagree with having all the games start paused...
  • BUILD for Pandora and give to ED
  • Take a bow and pat everyone involved on the back! :)

PokeParadox said:
  • I'm trying to do a lot with usability to tidy things off. Button displays on menu showing how to select/cancel
I've made a bit of progress with this using the ButtonPrompter. Atm it flashes the A button when you change menu selection and when you change selection in selection box.
More to come of course.

Pickle said:
PokeParadox said:
  • Pandora controls need finalising (Pickle, did you say you were going to try and figure something out?

Yes I will do it. ;)

Phew good! Difficult to figure out without actual hardware! ;)

srry to bother, but every time i update from SVN, i get tons of damaged links on the proyect.

and it seems that codeblocks doesnt fix it or neither asks to be fixed, is the project file being uploaded to the repo or its always outside?

also now i cant find
Ellipse.cpp
(it seems this file is no longer required XD)

been looking and funny error or view.
xgcw7s.png

maybe fixable by having a limit of only one ButtonShowing Object.

ill check the Proyect meanwhile, ill see whats diferent.

PD: on the panic attack i still dont know what keys to press.
and on the fire game, none of the controls worked :(

I'm up for creating the manual (perhaps a readme.txt + a prettier PDF version). I'd need a current win32 build though so I can check out the latest updates. Anyone keen to make one? :)

DroneB Dev said:
srry to bother, but every time i update from SVN, i get tons of damaged links on the proyect.

and it seems that codeblocks doesnt fix it or neither asks to be fixed, is the project file being uploaded to the repo or its always outside?

also now i cant find
Ellipse.cpp
(it seems this file is no longer required XD)

been looking and funny error or view.
xgcw7s.png

maybe fixable by having a limit of only one ButtonShowing Object.

ill check the Proyect meanwhile, ill see whats diferent.

PD: on the panic attack i still dont know what keys to press.
and on the fire game, none of the controls worked :(
You may have to checkout from fresh... it was pointed out that there was a redundant folder. Now there is not...

The project file is updated on the repo.

oh... Yeah the Ellipse.cpp was here on my machine but I accidentally deleted it and haven't written it again. :/ It's more important to get the game finished so I've been working Usability.

Not really an error... That's my first efforts at addressing usability... obviously WIP.

Panic Attack is hard to play with a USB joypad on PC... this will not be a problem on Pandora.
The controls for Fire do work... I've explained what the buttons are for the PC build previously.
L/R - Q and W
A/B - Z and X
X/Y - A and S
Arrow keys for directions.

The "A button" is used mainly.

Also you can configure custom keymaps using the keymap scripts and loading from the commandline. (look in the script folder in built.)

Gruso said:
I'm up for creating the manual (perhaps a readme.txt + a prettier PDF version). I'd need a current win32 build though so I can check out the latest updates. Anyone keen to make one? :)

Uhh, ok I will do, it will appear here when I am ready: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

I have to say that I really don't like the A-buttons in the main menu (the hint ones). I really don't think this is necessary and it completely drags down the style of the menu (I also think the button graphics could need some improvement).
Why are they not necessary? Simple! Every game (on a console or handheld) uses the A-button for "accept" and the B-button for "cancel". Everybody knows that and if not, well there are not that many buttons to try. As an example is there a text in the main menu of any gameboy Zelda game game which says "Press A to select a save slot"? No, because it's obvious...
I am not all against hints in the game (as some games are a bit more complicated), but seriously, the main menu does not need this.

Edit: Downloads are up! You need to extract both archives into the same directory (one contains all the images. fonts, sounds, etc. - the other one contains the dlls and exe)

Gruso said:

I missed this post... but what is weird I must have subconciously skimmed over it or something, since before I decided to call it a day yesterday I was actually thinking to drop you a PM to ask you specifically if you would mind making the manual (with your PandoraPress skillz)...

foxblock said:
Gruso said:

Uhh, ok I will do, it will appear here when I am ready: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

I have to say that I really don't like the A-buttons in the main menu (the hint ones). I really don't think this is necessary and it completely drags down the style of the menu (I also think the button graphics could need some improvement).
Why are they not necessary? Simple! Every game (on a console or handheld) uses the A-button for "accept" and the B-button for "cancel". Everybody knows that and if not, well there are not that many buttons to try. As an example is there a text in the main menu of any gameboy Zelda game game which says "Press A to select a save slot"? No, because it's obvious...
I am not all against hints in the game (as some games are a bit more complicated), but seriously, the main menu does not need this.

No biggie I'm still at the "playing around with ideas" stage of things. It's mainly the selection box mode that will need buttons since I want to add the help screens on there at button press.

I tend to agree that navigating menus is somewhat instinctive to most of us... but some people are complaining about usability... so that's the only reason I'm experimenting with ideas.

Back