Pandora Pandora Panic

'viridior' said:
No worries, Ive found my way around compilers lately! I guess what I will need once I get x.org up again is just some guidance of how the system works and its dependancies. The subsequent ebuilds (think .deb or rpm, but configurable) should automatically grab the tarballs/binaries from your http/ftp sites and I just need to tell it how to configure itself properly.

I don't assume that any of you are Gentoo users, but the portage tree can be locally supplemented (called overlays) for custom ebuilds. We have started our own Gentoo Pandora overlay, and I want to include as many of the homebrew projects into it as possible. So if you using Gentoo Pandora all you should need to do is connect to the internet and execute a command like "emerge pandorapanic" and a couple of minutes later it is installed and working.

My understanding of PandoraPanic! is that it is a framework, so individual games may also need to be installed individually and therefore usually requires another ebuild for each. Not a problem, the ebuilds are fairly easy to make, and I'll compile the programs myself so everyone can just install the binaries.

Thanks for all of the great work, and I look forward to working with anyone interested. The gentoo.pandora.devs are redoing the wiki to make it easier for new users. This will be done prior to kicking off with the Gentoo Pandora 0.0.3 series of images some of which will include X.org and some window managers to choose from. Im excited to try out this software and I promise to make some good screenshots.

I was able to get tslib installed in one of our older images without any problems. Unfortunately I don't have a touchscreen for my test platform (beagleboard), but the libraries should work. Ill do what I can to fix any problems once we have an x.org image that we can install on.
It is a framework for the developer rather than the end user. Currently all the classes have to be compiled in the project. In terms of minigames, they are compiled in the main binary. So separate packages for individual games won't really work. I'm not 100% sure if how I've handled mouse/touch screen is the correct way to go, but it seems sensible. I'd obviously like to hear any difficulties you may come across.
I'm going to try and get my keymapping finished so that USBJoy support is better. It's difficult to concentrate on vacation :lol:

'DasFool' said:
I finally got around to updating the wiki with the Vista x64 fix in case anyone has had problems getting the project to compile with this OS.
Thanks for that, good things these wikis :)

Last edited by a moderator:
'Gruso' said:
I found this very amusing:

CODE
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/Gruso/ppanichasstoppedworking.png
(Only 800x480 but large file size, sorry)

BAD VISTAAAAA.

PUT IT IN THE GAME! :D

* windows - - - windows -windows -windows

:lol: @ BadVista comments!
And a holiday status update

SimpleJoy KeyMapper
General Status

I have the setup to map devices supported through SDL, Buttons are mapped using Polymorphic classes which contain the SimpleJoy action and the relevant target key, which will trigger the SimpleJoy action.
The Tedium Factor

The current obstacle is handling all the possible mappings to SDLKeys. That is one for each key on the keyboard, and some of the special keys. Obviously some are not needed for the Pandora, but all bases will need covering, in case a USB keyboard is plugged in. Everything will need testing, but the code layout seems to make some sort of sense.
Further Plans

Ability to map to multiple USB controllers, Mice1)I also would like to provide some form of “pass-through” function for keyboard so that you can also use SimpleJoy to type, e.g. in an Name entry screen.

CODE
http://www.projectinfinity.org.uk/doku.php/devblogs:pokeparadox:simplejoy_keymapper

My minigame is coming close to completion. Just need to make some graphics for it and find some sound effects. What is the process for submitting it? I don't see a svn so is it safe to assume this is being done by email still?

'DasFool' said:
My minigame is coming close to completion. Just need to make some graphics for it and find some sound effects. What is the process for submitting it? I don't see a svn so is it safe to assume this is being done by email still?
Cool, can't wait to see a new mini game! :)
Basically just post an archive of your minigame here and either MarkoeZ or myself will integrate it.
There is a Pirate Games SVN but it's not public. After the first release of PandoraPanic! I'm going to move over to GIT I think and open things up better.

Speaking of updates, I made a very minor addition to BadVista. ;)

Updated source can be found at CODE
http://www.boidem.org/projects/pandora/PanicAttackBadVist-20090301.tar.gz

--Todd

Here is the completed minigame. I found some old sharing site. The graphics are fairly boring, but it works :p

Please don't be too harsh on the code, it's my foray into C++.

CODE
http://www.filesavr.com/puttputt

Welcome to the team DasFool! Nice looking little game.

I currently do not see level difficulty included, and the game is quite easy. Maybe you could make the timer bar faster depending on the level? or perhaps make the green part of the bar smaller? It's ok as it is, don't get me wrong, but that would be a small addition that makes it a bit more difficult at later levels.

CODE
variables[2].getInt()

will return the level PandoraPanic is currently in. Anyway, nice job for a CPP first! :)

@todd: i don't see anything different :S

anyway, all the games are updated/added in the SVN.

Cheers!

How many difficulty levels are there? I could easily make it more difficult.

Thanks for the welcome btw, it felt nice to code something again no matter how simple or difficult. :)

'DasFool' said:
How many difficulty levels are there?
It returns the number of minigames allready played. The way i did it with my games is to make difficulty harder each 5 or 10 levels (depending on how much more difficult it gets). Joust get's more birds every 10 levels, also time get's shorter.

I have taken a quick look at your code, you could do something like

CODE
focusVel = -1 - (variables[2].getInt() / 5)

this will probably not work well, but i hope you get my point.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I'll play with it when I get a little free time.

'DasFool' said:
Thanks for the info. I'll play with it when I get a little free time.
Ok good luck! b.t.w., i played with focusVel at -12, just playable. at -14 i only get one in about 5 correct.

Edit: with a bit of practise, about half of the puts on -14 now ;)

'MarkoeZ' said:
You may recall a small flap over a joke that some thought was being taken too far :p

As a result, the "pwned" screen in BadVista got hidden. My addition last night was to add a second pwned screen, as provided in the previous page of this thread. These screens are found by letting the arm cycle from bottom to top to bottom twice or thrice and then losing.

--Todd

'todd' said:
'MarkoeZ' said:
You may recall a small flap over a joke that some thought was being taken too far :p

As a result, the "pwned" screen in BadVista got hidden. My addition last night was to add a second pwned screen, as provided in the previous page of this thread. These screens are found by letting the arm cycle from bottom to top to bottom twice or thrice and then losing.

--Todd

ghehehehe, an easteregg, i like it!! :D

I'm playing with shrinking the sweetspot, increasing the focus velocity, and decreasing the countdown. It seems more fun like that, hehe.

*edit, I also made the sweetspot move around randomly so it isn't always in the top part of the bar.

'DasFool' said:
I'm playing with shrinking the sweetspot, increasing the focus velocity, and decreasing the countdown. It seems more fun like that, hehe.

*edit, I also made the sweetspot move around randomly so it isn't always in the top part of the bar.
Nice, those changes will really make the game more interesting in the long run :)

It's just great to see so many new additions and updates, PandoraPanic! is getting better every day it seems.

Ok, new PuttPutt build.

Changes:
*focus speed increases with level
*sweet spot size decreases with level
*sweet spot now appears in different places within the golf bar instead of the same area every time
*countdown decreases with level
*fixed a small bug concerning the focus thickness

CODE
http://www.filesavr.com/puttputt_1

'DasFool' said:
Ok, new PuttPutt build.

Changes:
*focus speed increases with level
*sweet spot size decreases with level
*sweet spot now appears in different places within the golf bar instead of the same area every time
*countdown decreases with level
*fixed a small bug concerning the focus thickness

CODE
http://www.filesavr.com/puttputt_1
That's quick!

Looking good. One small note, it gets a bit too difficult too fast now ;) Try to see the first 10 levels of PandoraPanic! as a kind of introduction to the minigames, remember there are 15 of them now. Maybe if it started just a bit easier then it does now, and get's tougher slightly slower.

Back