Pandora Owners: Any Other Hardware Issues?

EvilDragon said:
I'll do some quick disassemble-guide video when I find some time.
Could we get one for the screen too? I'd like to have a go at fixing the bowed bezel, but I understand disassembling the lid is a bit hairy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a new problem: The left nub, which has been a bit weird from the beginning is making a strange noise when I move it in some directions. The noise sounds little like tearing sellotape. It doesn't sound happy at all!

Slight grave digging, apologies :)

With regards to the should button issue, is this the problem being talked about? R-shoulder.jpg
Mine just sticks out as shown, it can be pushed up again so it's no big issue, it just gets stuck occasionally when frantically button mashing <insert favorite beat 'em up>.

Thanks.

Cannibal said:
Slight grave digging, apologies :)

With regards to the should button issue, is this the problem being talked about? R-shoulder.jpg
Mine just sticks out as shown, it can be pushed up again so it's no big issue, it just gets stuck occasionally when frantically button mashing <insert favorite beat 'em up>.

Thanks.

Yep, exactly. The drilled hole is too big.
You can fix that yourself if you're careful and are not afraid of opening the unit (be careful about your warranty though!)
Open it up and use a very thin tape to put it around the peg, so that the R buttons sits firmly and doesn't wiggle anymore.
If done correctly, it should work.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just got my Pandoras (2 of them). I think that I am the first in Africa to have one? W00t! :)

Interestingly enough of the 2 units I received, one is near perfect but the other has the following faults:

1. 2 X buttons, no Y button ... !
2. Bad left shoulder button (doesn't click properly)
3. Dodgy right nub (generates right and left click when used as a mouse!)
4. VERY stiff volume wheel on both units.
5. Lines in the LCD and "8-bit colour effect" as described here somewhere (purple tint cable issue).

I have sent the borked unit back for repair to Craig's.
Openpandora have been good in dealing with the issue but to be honest I am quite surprised this unit got through QA.

I think I deserve a completely new unit actually...

The one that works however is a really awesome machine and I am still 100% behind the team and the product.
Its just a pity I had to tell my brother that his Pandora birthday present is going to take a while longer to get here.
(note that the borked one immediately became his LOL :) )

-(e)

sweetlilmre said:
Openpandora have been good in dealing with the issue but to be honest I am quite surprised this unit got through QA.
If such a unit was able to left England, they can't have real QA testing. I still read alot stuff like this, missing screws, Styli, cracked Cases, cigarette ash between case and Lid (!!!)...
Craig often mentiones the improved building quality, but the Forums speak another language, I really hope these all are just Individual cases and not a common problem of the method, how the units are assembled (I'm sure there are standardized ways to optimize assembling included effective quality control)

^ Please pardon my pedantry, but in the case of the cracks from an overtightened screw, I gather that those don't form until weeks or months later (indeed, the crack on mine did not appear until the unit was almost two months old), so I don't think you can really count that among more easily visible issues. :p

Prometheus said:
^ Please pardon my pedantry, but in the case of the cracks from an overtightened screw, I gather that those don't form until weeks or months later (indeed, the crack on mine did not appear until the unit was almost two months old), so I don't think you can really count that among more easily visible issues. :p

Do you think rubber or plastic washers would prevent stress cracks?

Jason

I've heard it said, but I know relatively little about plastics, so I can't comment.

fusion_power said:
sweetlilmre said:
If such a unit was able to left England, they can't have real QA testing. I still read alot stuff like this, missing screws, Styli, cracked Cases, cigarette ash between case and Lid (!!!)...
Craig often mentiones the improved building quality, but the Forums speak another language, I really hope these all are just Individual cases and not a common problem of the method, how the units are assembled (I'm sure there are standardized ways to optimize assembling included effective quality control)

Sounds like a unit shipped back for RMA was accidentally shipped out to me.
I've not yet had a purple tint issue with later units except for the first 150, so it most probably was an older one that slipped onto the wrong pile :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
fusion_power said:
sweetlilmre said:

Sounds like a unit shipped back for RMA was accidentally shipped out to me.
I've not yet had a purple tint issue with later units except for the first 150, so it most probably was an older one that slipped onto the wrong pile :)

I thought it might be something like that. The difference in build quality was really incredible.
Its a real pity though... the hoops I have to jump through to send the unit back (reliably) are intense :)
(The mate that brought it over takes it back to IOM to another mate who packs and ships it to OP. It gets returned to him, then I wait for someone coming back to R.S.A. to deliver it...)

I think I am going to get some TV out cables with the return, at least that will make the wait worth it.

-(e)

EvilDragon said:

My replacement unit (replacing my first purple tint unit), which was given away, has apparently got he purple screen symptoms.

It is a cause for concern that OP have said that the LCD cable design (and corresponding PCB connector) are going to change - where does that leave owners of first batch machines in the near future? Is ED going to spend the next few months amassing a pile of handmade cables to service the original design?

Asmo said:
It is a cause for concern that OP have said that the LCD cable design (and corresponding PCB connector) are going to change - where does that leave owners of first batch machines in the near future? Is ED going to spend the next few months amassing a pile of handmade cables to service the original design?

Nothing has changed on the cable except for moving the pads where the speakers are soldered to out of the way (and make all the speakers have the same cable length) and to make proper assembly easier and faster.

It's the same cable, the same connectors, no need for any exchanges unless your unit fails (though this only happened to the first 150 unit so far, which weren't assembled as properly)

Last edited:
Some cables seem to be of bad quality, yeah. I had one that had the purple tint immediately on first switch-on.
Sounds like ubermensch had such a cable, as the screen died rapidly, whereas the normal purple tint death takes about a week until it fully stops working.

However, after those 150 first units, where the LCD Cable death happened to quite a lot, I have only seen those two you mentioned here yet.
And I always ask if I get one with a bad cable if it was one of the first units.

But yeah, we're not 100% satisfied ourselves - that's why we actually have some company experienced with flat flex ribbon cable and clamshell design check our cable and give us solutions to make it way more sturdy.
So we might have more robust cables with batch 2 already.

The connectors won't change though, every failing cable will then be replaced with the new one :)

mine went purple and funky after about a month. We're now approaching 2.5 months and it hasn't gotten much worse, just weird purplish tint depending on the angle.

WizardStan said:
mine went purple and funky after about a month. We're now approaching 2.5 months and it hasn't gotten much worse, just weird purplish tint depending on the angle.

How often do you open and close it?

Last edited:
Back