Pandora Owners: Any Other Hardware Issues?

fusion_power said:
They should had done the cases right so that they didn't need painting. Propper surface "sand blasting" or whatever the common way is to get this silk surface shouldn't be any problem. The NDSi case looks very nice (and fits even much better togehter) and I'm sure at least the black one isn't painted.

You sure about that?
I don't know for the NDS, but at least I did some research and found out that almost all laptop lids, e.g. are painted.

And if the black NDS is not painted, then NO NDS is painted - as it would change the thickness and nothing would fit properly.
So either all are painted or none (they use different colored plastic then).

BTW: Sorry, accidentally locked that thread while browsing with my mobile phone.
Will unlock it now.

Last edited:
Will I be able to send my Pandora back to change the shoulder buttons to non painted ones? I don't even have my unit yet (some time this week) but it'll be with the painted buttons. What would you guys charge for this?

That's assuming I get annoyed with the painted buttons - like say, the paint wears off.

x68000 said:
^ All the buttons come to the assembly line painted and ready to assemble.

They said they're switching to non-painted.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
Will I be able to send my Pandora back to change the shoulder buttons to non painted ones? I don't even have my unit yet (some time this week) but it'll be with the painted buttons. What would you guys charge for this?

That's assuming I get annoyed with the painted buttons - like say, the paint wears off.

The painted L/R work fine, they just need some manual labour like drilling - which we needed to find out exactly how to do it properly, but except for the first few units all are fine :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
SomeGuy99 said:

The painted L/R work fine, they just need some manual labour like drilling - which we needed to find out exactly how to do it properly, but except for the first few units all are fine :)

Let's assume after a while I decide I would rather have non painted ones. Can I order non painted ones from you? Will it void the warranty to install these myself? For a charge, would you change them over for me?

SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Let's assume after a while I decide I would rather have non painted ones. Can I order non painted ones from you? Will it void the warranty to install these myself? For a charge, would you change them over for me?

We will have ALL parts of the cases available later on, yes.
As for warranty: I cannot speak for Craig, but as long as you don't break it with that, I'm fine. So if I send you shoulder buttons and a few days later you want a warranty replacement... that could become a problem.
If your unit breaks months later, I know it wasn't the shoulder replacement.

I will also offer to replace them for free, as long as you pay shipping costs.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
SomeGuy99 said:

We will have ALL parts of the cases available later on, yes.
As for warranty: I cannot speak for Craig, but as long as you don't break it with that, I'm fine. So if I send you shoulder buttons and a few days later you want a warranty replacement... that could become a problem.
If your unit breaks months later, I know it wasn't the shoulder replacement.

I will also offer to replace them for free, as long as you pay shipping costs.
Since I was one of the people that got the weird shoulder pads: is it best in the long run to get both replaced, or just the one?
I'm guessing the first option sounds right.

But, if the shoulder buttons on the first units are wonky then it wouldnt really do any good to replace them since the issue was the holes, right? You'd have to replace the part of the case that holds the holes for the shoulder buttons I'd think.

No. It was the holes in the shoulder buttons that were drilled to make them larger.

Yes, and we became way better in the drilling so now the painted ones are as good as the unpainted ones.

EvilDragon said:
Yes, and we became way better in the drilling so now the painted ones are as good as the unpainted ones.

Thanks EvilDragon, I think you guys are doing an amazing job, and the Pandora is really looking good, I understand all the hard work you guys are heaving, and really apreciate all the steps you are taking to polish the product and send them ASAP.

Its a pleasure to talk with one of the guys responsible for this amazing machine, hope I can get mine soon though I think I am probably around 3000 in the list or so.

Keep up the good work, and really hope that all your hard work during this amazing project pays off with the next batches, you really deserve to make some money after all the hard work and risks you guys are taking.

Big admiration from my part to all the folks working to make Pandora posible starting with Craix, of couse also for the geniuses that are working on software, just wish I had the brain to program myself.

Keep those Pandoras shipping.:)

^+1

Too bad some will say that he is a** licking, like I saw in another thread…
It seems moaning, whining and saying "two month" are the only posts accepted by a few ones on the forum.

EvilDragon said:
Nice. It amazes me that you had so few returns/issues for the first production run, with something daft like a a 3% return? Kudos to the team, and also to the superb support you guys are giving. I really hope this project takes off, it would be good to see you guys makes some money out of this! ;)

rpgmaker.es/descargas/tapa-y-base.ogv
rpgmaker.es/descargas/l-r-y-analogicos.ogv
rpgmaker.es/descargas/factura-manual-embalaje-contenido.ogv

Here some videos from Spanish forums, at least in his unit everything is fine, shows that the screen holds fine, unless for some reason you moove it up and down constantly like a wiimote, sholder buttons also working good, etc...

Ps. Thanks Mali for your coment, Im just happy to see the project is becoming reality, and I understand that a project like Pandora is really tough to pull off, thats why even with the delays and some problemas that apear I think they are doing a magnificent job, lets not forget that even huge multinacionals like Sony have trouble with shiping dates (Remember Ps3 delays) and their final products arent perfect, PSPs poor batery life, pretty bad controlls etc..

EvilDragon, the OS is looking amazing from the videos I see in internet, and its only going to get better and better with time, thanks.:)

@Kodein: oh dear, going down memory lane now, your avatar reminds me of playing destruction derby. Nice. :)

On a side note, more related to the thread topic, I've returned my pandora yesterday, don't know what's wrong with it but I guess the OP team will be able to figure it out!

EvilDragon said:
hobbyman II said:
the crackling means your internal volume setting is too high, you can turn the volume all the way up to 11 in Linux :ph34r: , but the electronics usually protest in this way, change it to about 80% of max, should stop the crackling (this is the internal bus sound out setting, not your speaker setting, tho that might work too), according to EDs post there is no wizard for that yet

Oh, yeah, right, might be an internal overdrive. Then you simply need to open the Volume Mixer in XFCE4 and turn it down :)

Thanks for all the info everyone. This community is great and the Pandora is fantastic :D

I still have crackling sound. It's definitely a software issue as it doesn't effect everything and sometimes sorts itself out.

Alsa mixer settings: Master is set to around 60% and the input boost is set to 0%

What should the .asoundrc settings be? I've not edited them yet as I don't want to make it worse.

> pcm.dmixed {
> type dmix
> ipc_key 1234
> slave {
> pcm "hw:0"
> buffer_size 8192
> period_size 2048
> #periods 128
> period_time 0
> buffer_time 0
> rate 44100

Murff said:
@Kodein: oh dear, going down memory lane now, your avatar reminds me of playing destruction derby. Nice. :)

On a side note, more related to the thread topic, I've returned my pandora yesterday, don't know what's wrong with it but I guess the OP team will be able to figure it out!
Destruction Derby was a fun game, loved to death match with my friends on lan (IIRC).

Psygnosis published and made great games (lemmings, wipEout, …) and I just love their owl (classical or ball version) :p

I hope you'll get a fixed pandora soon ;)

Back