Pandora OS on BeagleBone Black

KyRol

Still Fresh
I have an idea to run Pandora OS on BeagleBone Black (BBB). This device is similar to Pandora 1GHz. It contains very same GPU PowerVR SGX530 (as I think, if I'm wrong – please post below comments), it also got CPU 1GHz Cortex-A8. The only thing is different is multimedia processor. Pandora features some, from BB xM I suppose, however BBB does not include it. (there I may be wrong too). In BBB audio is possible over HDMI, but in general BBB contains only one USB port. However HDMI as audio source is not only one solution. It's possible to fix it using USB Hub as I use. Further details promises even better features – RAM is faster twice (200MHz in Pandora and 400MHz in BBB) and onboard flash capacity is 2GB (Pandora features 500MB). Surprisingly Pandora and BBB by default uses one very same Linux distribution – Ångström. Futher details about features of these two devices: BBB and Pandora 1GHz.

My goal is, as I told before, to run Pandora OS on BBB. In my opinion, in beginning it is best to move all stuff which is unnecessary. Simplest way seems to be installation of all missing packages, scripts and other stuff which features Pandora into BBB's software stack. As I told - BBB contains Ångström already, so I'd like to try restock it. If it will fail, I wonder about merging and compiling sources which are released by BBB and Pandora community. Is anybody here who is interested about it, and may help me to make it real?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, could be as easy as copying the rootfs and start the beaglebone with an appropriate boot.txt

^ yeah, also the Default keymap would need to be changed back to something standard.

1st of all - thanx for the response. I think I found out good stuff for me just for beginning. Pandora's Wiki is another my must-read objective. Could you recommend another knowledge resources which are worth of my attention? Second thing - image and hw support: Could you recommend appropriate image for me? I do not need stuff such as wifi controller support or so on. Just basic stuff in terms of device support with possibly latest kernel. I'm also wonder how to change default audio device system-wide. As I mentioned previously, I own USB Hub with build-in an audio controller. I'd like to change default sound device however I do not know it is any Pandora-specific solution in this case (as pnd's or keyboard mapping) or may I change it in usual way. And last – I wonder, may I bypass keymapping. I saw this tool, however I'm not sure am I misunderstand it's purpose.

Master contol sets up your Pandora as a USB HID device - that is keyboard/mouse etc.  So your Pandora becomes a bluetooth controller for your other device.  Not what you want, I assume.

As for sound all Pandora PNDs use standard libraries like Alsa, so you should be fine there using the normal controls.

For setting the keyboard map, you probably want Slaeshjag's tool: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=change-keymap-0.1-slaeshjag

I've used that in the past when I've hooked up an external keyboard to my Pandora.

Your first port of call for OS images is probably: http://openpandora.org/firmware/

That's linked from the wiki too, if you forget.  If you want an image with less drivers, you'll probably need to build it yourself - sources are included, I believe.

I would be very interested in running Pandora specific libs (or even the full OS) on a BeagleBone Black for use in a PiCade as a 'stationary Open Pandora'. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

I'm also playing with the thought of hacking analog thumbsticks on the PiCade (but I'm more confident with software and electronics than with a drill and a screwdriver, so let's see how that goes).

I already had some PND's running on a regular (older) beagleboard with Ubuntu, but I didn't see the need to use the full libpnd on there at the time. More info, helpful comments and links here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56010-running-pnds-on-a-beagleboard/

A Playstation 2 controller (with USB converter) worked flawlessly.

All I know is that it's certainly possible, it's just that someone needs to do it and maybe clean stuff up a little to strip out the Open Pandora specific parts (for example, the wifi wouldn't add much as you already said). A ready to go disk image that can be flashed to the BBB NAND would be awesome.

On the Pandora I prefer XFCE, but I could imagine MiniMenu being a more suitable option for an arcade-like cabinet. So it would be nice to have that runnning as well.

Anyway, just popping in here to say "Hi", and "you're not alone".

Funny, just today I was searching for an affordable, power saving platform for downloads/NAS kind of use, came across the BBB and thought about how the oPa OS would be charming to have on it :D

Hmmm, could be as easy as copying the rootfs and start the beaglebone with an appropriate boot.txt
This procedure really seems not to be complicated too much. I found page with BBB's image, where below was instruction with a prepared script and commands, my method was "hard way". This process is not meant to flash straightforward eMMC's, it's guide how to prepare an SDCard. I also found useful script which moves SDCard contents into eMMC. I decided to replace an image using Padora's one. As you see, process seems to be fairly straight-forward, however I couldn't find anything as boot.txt, autoboot.txt or so on. In result boot process from SD card failed. When I put SDCard into slot and then BBB's powered, all LEDs remain lit. It looks like eMMC flashing process but it's not. I should see on LCD something. I'm sure I do something wrong. I have not any debug cable, unfortunately, is quite expensive and unaffordable. First BeagleBone (white) has on-board such feature, however BBB haven't anymore, because it was removed in order to reduce the price point.

What to do? What I should check 

Back