Pandora NanoLemmings [Original Game]

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
After Pandora Microbes and Pandora NubNub, I'm going to make a new game. Its working name is NanoLemmings (I don't know if that will be the final name).

Do you like Lemmings? Do you want to play with thousands of lemmings instead of dozens? Do you hate the micro-management needed in the original Lemmings: clicking individual lemmings, hoping they are walking in the right direction, not forgetting to renew the stair builders in time?

Then this game is something for you!

In NanoLemmings, you control a swarm of tiny lemmings. Each lemming is only 2 pixels big, and they walk on top of eachother. The net result is that things start to look a bit like LiquidWars.

Instead of assigning tasks to individual lemmings, you can indicate your intensions (where to dig, where to build stairs) and the lemmings will do the task whenever they can. Stairs are not built out of bricks (I always wondered where those lemmings store all those bricks), but out of "petrified" lemmings. You can dig and build stair in arbitrary shapes. A stair has to be connected to something solid (the ground or walls), otherwise it collapses.

The game is still very much work-in-progress, so I don't have much to show yet. Let me know if you're interested to get an alpha/demo version when that is ready.

I'm also looking for level designers -- I'll probably not have time to make much more than a tutorial set of levels myself. Designing a level is easy: it's just two PNG files: one where certain colors correspond to certain terrain types, and one that is shown (you can use the same PNG file as the one that describes the terrain, if you don't care about looks - e.g. for testing playability).

Very interested in a demo!

Would be more than happy to help you create some levels. Level design concept reminds me of Trial Bike Pro modding lol

This sounds like an interesting concept and judging by your track-record the result should be very promising (no pressure ;) ).

This sounds _amazing_ .. really great twist on a classic idea.

I hope it works out as well as it does in my imagination!

Good luck with it!

jeff

very interested in this if you're still looking for level designers, great concept for a game!

Go on then. Show us a NanoLemming (all 2 pixels-worth). It's the very least you could do after whetting our appetites like that :D

Let's go!

I like that concept. Especially when I think about all the hours I spent with the original lemmings when I shoud do homework instead.

Could think of some levels, too.

Go on then. Show us a NanoLemming (all 2 pixels-worth). It's the very least you could do after whetting our appetites like that :D

Let's go!
Here is a NanoLemming on a black background (he's walking to the right):

lemming.png

Only the blue and the white pixel are actual "mass" - the luscious green fluffy hair is just for show.

^ Saves you the trouble of doing pretty game graphics, certainly ;P

I might be interested in doing some level design too...

Oh i am cirous about a new Game from _WB_ ;)

Can you try to make a Lemmings Game who not work only with Touchscreens?

My Touchscreens work randomizly not correct and i think i am not the only one.

No Prob for me because i use Mouse and Nubs on the Pandora but i cannot play Kami Retro good.

But no Reason for me to send it Home to Fix ;)

Oh i am cirous about a new Game from _WB_ ;)

Can you try to make a Lemmings Game who not work only with Touchscreens?

My Touchscreens work randomizly not correct and i think i am not the only one.

No Prob for me because i use Mouse and Nubs on the Pandora but i cannot play Kami Retro good.

But no Reason for me to send it Home to Fix ;)
I'm afraid that this game will be somewhat touchscreen-intensive. For this game, it makes the most sense. You won't need fast, reliable touch gestures like in Kami Retro - it's more of a puzzle game than a fast-paced action game. But you will need the stylus.

Essentially you are drawing stuff on the level, like in an image editor. I could theoretically do that with a cursor with relative movement, mapped to the nubs and/or dpad, but I think it's clear that that's not how you want to draw stuff.

The game will of course also use the Pandora game controls, but not as crucially as in NubNub and it will not be possible to not use touch at all (like in Microbes, where touch is completely optional).

Interesting concept. Not sure how it will really work in the end, but it sounds cool.

Using NanoLemmings as building-material for bridges may upset people who were always angry about levels where you had to sacrifice some Lemmings to solve it ;)

Would be cool to see some of the original levels (if they work with the new concept) and have the original sounds and music (or something close).

Interesting concept. Not sure how it will really work in the end, but it sounds cool.

Using NanoLemmings as building-material for bridges may upset people who were always angry about levels where you had to sacrifice some Lemmings to solve it ;)
Yes, in this game there will probably not be a lot of levels where you can rescue 100% of the Lemmings, so you'll have to get used to that.

Then again, the lemmings who get stuck in bridges are not really dead - you can always revive them (of course then the bridge collapses) - so some bridges can be only temporary and if you finish a level, you don't have to think of those stuck lemmings as "dead", if that helps to keep to keep your conscience clear :)

As long as there's still the option to nuke the little buggers, I'll be happy! :lol:
I was implementing that this morning :)

If you press X, the current selection of lemmings gets nuked (5 second bomb timer). An exploding lemming will be able to destroy some terrain that cannot otherwise be destroyed by regular digging.

Back