Pandora NanoLemmings [Original Game]

Are you looking for levels with advanced difficulty?

I guess you want to do the tutorial levels yourself?

Would it be good to have some unified graphics style or do you want to make levelsets out of the levels of contributors?

Are you looking for levels with advanced difficulty?

I guess you want to do the tutorial levels yourself?

Would it be good to have some unified graphics style or do you want to make levelsets out of the levels of contributors?
Easy levels are fine too. Anything goes. I like it most when it is not hard to pass the level, but if you want to save more lemmings than the minimum, it becomes harder.

If the contributed levels make a consistent levelset, I will put them in a levelset of their own. Otherwise I'll give them a place as I see fit. A unified style is not necessary, but if you have found a nice style, you're encouraged to use it in multiple levels and to share examples early so that others can adopt the same style if they like it.

New alpha here: http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/tmp/nanolemmings-alpha2.tar.gz

Only change is a minor improvement in the painting code (should look less jagged when you draw quickly), and a new feature just for mcobit, because his touchscreen doesn't work.

If you now press "N", you toggle nub mode (it's disabled by default). In nub mode, you get to see a cursor, which can be moved with left nub (right nub still moves the viewpoint). You can then select lemmings, build and dig by holding .

You can use the number keys (1,2,3,4,5,6) to select an action and 7,8,9 to set the brush size.

With this modification, the game becomes playable without the touch screen.

Purely cosmetic animations (in the level image) should be relatively easy to implement. Animations in the level terrain would be harder - since the terrain can be modified by digging and building, it is not clear to me how the modifications would have to be transferred to the other frames.

I mean cosmetic ones like candles, moving clouds, waving grass etc...

I tried the nubversion, but there is no cursor. Or there is one but it doesn't move with the mouseposition.

Makes it impossible to see what you are doing.

Did you press "N" to activate nub mode? You should see a yellow cursor that can be moved with the left nub.

Oh, are you using an external mouse perhaps? That one is ignored (that is, it's treated as if it was the touch screen, so no cursor), but maybe I should make that work too...

No external mouse. The cursor appears but doesn't move when I move the nubs.

Edit: I see... Need to set left nub to joystick :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, strange, the left nub should move the cursor and the right nub should move the viewpoint. Can you draw bridges or dig tunnels by pressing and moving the viewpoint, even if you can't move the cursor?

I have the nubs in mousemode by default. Need to set them to joystick to work as expected.

This would be done in the pnd startupscript. But as this is just a folder. ..

Also I have to preload your sdlgfx lib to get it starting.

I have the nubs in mousemode by default. Need to set them to joystick to work as expected.

This would be done in the pnd startupscript. But as this is just a folder. ..

Also I have to preload your sdlgfx lib to get it starting.
Oh, right, I forget to say that you're supposed to run it using "./run" :)

Any feedback on the game mechanics? If something needs to be changed in that, it's best to decide as early as possible...

What is the max slope a lemming can walk up? Or how many pixels straight up are seen as an obstacle a lemming cannot walk over?

Updated alpha version: http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/tmp/nanolemmings-alpha3.tar.gz

I implemented water (color #0000FF) and lava (color #FFFF00) - thanks to mcobit for the suggestions!

Water is pretty cool: it behaves like low gravity, but with the dpad you can also make lemmings dive or swim to the top. So if they fall in the water you can keep them alive for a while by holding up, but if there's nowhere to go, eventually you'll have to release the button... cruel :)

Water can add some interesting game mechanics I think. You can use a column of water as an elevator. It can act as a buffer (if lemmings fall in the water, they don't die from the fall). You cannot build underwater, so you can also use it to make "no-build" zones (although maybe I should define a new terrain type for that so you can also have normal air that is "no-build").

Is anyone designing levels?

i will be once I reflash my Pandora, is there any way you can define what tools/abilities are available on a level?

also your implementation of water is exactly what i had in mind when i suggested it, its almost like you read my mind.

By "no build" underwater do you mean that no abilities are useable? would it be possible to use "explode" to get through otherwise impassible watery areas (because you cant bridge or dig)?

i will be once I reflash my Pandora, is there any way you can define what tools/abilities are available on a level?

also your implementation of water is exactly what i had in mind when i suggested it, its almost like you read my mind.

By "no build" underwater do you mean that no abilities are useable? would it be possible to use "explode" to get through otherwise impassible watery areas (because you cant bridge or dig)?
I mean you cannot build stairs under water. You can still dig and explode. Climbing also still makes sense. Floating does not change anything underwater.

You can define what is available in each level, yes. For select, build and dig it's a boolean (1 or 0) - either it is available, or it isn't. For explode, climb and float it's a number: 0 means it is not available, > 0 means you can assign it to that number of lemmings, -1 means unlimited (this is the same as picking any number >= the number of lemmings in the level, but you don't have to do the counting and the number is not displayed to the user because you can't run out anyway).

I'd love a PC/Android/bleugh version of this, for us commoners that can't afford a Pandora  :unsure:

Back