Pandora NanoLemmings [Original Game]

Since 'dying in creative ways' is a Lemmings tradition, I have an odd twist idea...

What happens to the nano lemmings now when they die from a fall?  Disappear/fade/other?

How about they stick/squish - and stay.  The material build up becomes thicker as more 'bodies' pile up, gradually building up to where fresh falling lemmings don't squish - but instead bounce off the pile on random trajectories, preserving some largish percentage of their falling momentum.  Potentially splattering into a wall, roof, another floor, other - maybe surviving if they catch a ledge in the trajectory arc.

So - thousands of nano lemmings falling of of a ledge splat, build up, then start to fountain in all directions from the impact point, live sometimes, die and start building up surface most times, etc...

Aaand here are a few samples from me (68 :) )

I hope they're useful :D
WhatsYourOrdernumber.wav lol
Haha, this thread is gold.

AnotherVisitor.wav

Should be in the game. :D

I wonder how many people still know this phrase.

Maybe you could use stuff like this for the first level of every new set of levels / a new theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnotherVisitor.wav

Should be in the game. :D

I wonder how many people still know this phrase.

Maybe you could use stuff like this for the first level of every new set of levels / a new theme.
It's the first phrase I ever heard from a computer. Back on the C64 it was very, very impressive (even though you could barely understand the words).

I'll use it as one of the level start sounds.

We could make an impossible mission graphics themed level :)

Edit: Or some videogame themed levels in general.

We could make an impossible mission graphics themed level
im_13.JPG

im_15.JPG

im_shaft.JPG

Here's some I made earlier... :(

I.M. still is one of my fave games.

Since 'dying in creative ways' is a Lemmings tradition, I have an odd twist idea...

What happens to the nano lemmings now when they die from a fall?  Disappear/fade/other?

How about they stick/squish - and stay.  The material build up becomes thicker as more 'bodies' pile up, gradually building up to where fresh falling lemmings don't squish - but instead bounce off the pile on random trajectories, preserving some largish percentage of their falling momentum.  Potentially splattering into a wall, roof, another floor, other - maybe surviving if they catch a ledge in the trajectory arc.

So - thousands of nano lemmings falling of of a ledge splat, build up, then start to fountain in all directions from the impact point, live sometimes, die and start building up surface most times, etc...
Nice idea, but it would require too much code changes. At the moment, there is no real physics: the lemmings don't have momentum and there is no real gravity, they just have a direction (left or right) and fall down one or two pixels if there's no floor below them. So bouncing off in random trajectories would require a lot of changes, and it would probably take some effort to optimize the code so that all of that can be computed fast enough for all of those nanolemmings.

Bodies piling up is easy to do, so maybe I'll do that. It changes the game quite a bit though, since any cliff can be survived if you can make a big enough pile. I would certainly have to make sure that the pile does not end up being just a 1 pixel wide tower.

Let me know if you need anything else :)
Yesterday I integrated 22 of your sounds into the game, and I have selected 14 more to be included today if I find time for it. It's really fun to add sounds to a game like this. For example, when you're building a bridge, they go "nano-nano-nano", but if you're building a really big bridge, there's a chance that they'll start singing "like a bridge over troubled water" :)

Another example: if you have a lot of floaters in the air, it looks a bit like it's raining lemmings. If this happens, there's a small chance that they start singing "I'm singing in the rain" :)

One sound I still need is that of (a) drowning nanolemming(s), and maybe also a "splash" sound for when they fall into the water.

Sizzling would do, but "HotHotHot!" could sound awesome. Remember Rizzo The Rat in "A Muppet Christmas Carol"?

sounds interesting, a good idea but maybe we could have some words followed by a frying or sizzling sound. i find theres something bizarrely satisfying about this in many games (worms for example) so i'd like to see it in this. An alternative idea for some Lava based quote: "It burns! IT BURNS!!!" in the style of Blood (when you shoot the zombies with the flair gun) might be a nice little video game reference.

Do petrified NanoLemming "bridges" dissolve on contact with lava, if they fall from a higher point in the level into the pool, and do they float in liquids in this case (water/lava)?

Bodies piling up is easy to do, so maybe I'll do that. It changes the game quite a bit though, since any cliff can be survived if you can make a big enough pile. I would certainly have to make sure that the pile does not end up being just a 1 pixel wide tower.  

While this would be cool i think it might make the game a little bit easy because the player could just reshape the level with lemming corpses, but maybe they could disappear after a little while or something to prevent game breaking in this way.

Do petrified NanoLemming "bridges" dissolve on contact with lava, if they fall from a higher point in the level into the pool, and do they float in liquids in this case (water/lava)?
They dissolve in both cases, which means they die in lava and they start swimming/sinking in water.

"I'm melting!" from "The Wizard Of Oz" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" could be good for lava'd lemms. :)

Mmm...  Lemmings = conga line.  "I'm feelin' hot hot hot!"

If you're ever on a Caribbean cruise, keep a running total of how many times you hear, "Hot Hot Hot", "I shot the Sheriff", and "Margaritaville" - then another total for all other songs.

Back