Pandora Logo?

I like P&|a, it is witty it is geeky and it separates the Pandora from the other handhelds. It will be a bit more pricey than the competition so it is ok to give it a bit of an elitist appeal.
Stuff like this will draw devs and geeks to the Pandora like flies to honey. They will be the first offenders and the rest will follow.

P.gif

Prophet said:
Pandora is a hobbyist's machine, made for hobbyists by hobbyists.

As such I don't think it will EVER be "taken seriously" anyway. And by "seriously" I'm guessing you mean like the ipod or iphone. Which is fine, because I personally don't take Apple products seriously anyway. :p

I feel I'm in a small minority in believing that if

a) p&|a has real good build quality (unlike the appalling original 2X models)

B ) We can fully access all the hardware and have proper X11 2D and 3D acceleration at launch

c) They manage to produce it in decent volumes at the promised price point / approx time frame

then the Pandora will be a HUGE hit, massive! We're talking bigger than the C64, no really!

Look at the EeePC, its FLYING off the shelves- you can't get them for love nae money but its not as 'unique' a computing device, doesn't have as much geek appeal as the Pandora I feel. I've been considering getting at EeePC but at that size (ie non-pocketable) I'd also want an optical drive in it- maybe the next revision will have one? The EeePC has done wonders already for the booming budget Linux computing device market and will help prime the market for Pandora, the 'Amiga of the 00ies' ('Naughties' ;)

Computer hobbyists aren't in the minority anymore - being geek is positively encouraged these days and there's a huge market for cool geeky devices now.

Last edited by a moderator:
danboid said:

B ) We can fully access all the hardware and have proper X11 2D and 3D acceleration at launch

c) They manage to produce it in decent volumes at the promised price point / approx time frame

then the Pandora will be a HUGE hit, massive! We're talking bigger than the C64, no really!

Look at the EeePC, its FLYING off the shelves- you can't get them for love nae money but its not as 'unique' a computing device, doesn't have as much geek appeal as the Pandora I feel. I've been considering getting at EeePC but at that size (ie non-pocketable) I'd also want an optical drive in it- maybe the next revision will have one? The EeePC has done wonders already for the booming budget Linux computing device market and will help prime the market for Pandora, the 'Amiga of the 00ies' ('Naughties' ;)

Computer hobbyists aren't in the minority anymore - being geek is positively encouraged these days and there's a huge market for cool geeky devices now.
I am afraid I have to agree, especially seeing as kids these days have been brought up on computers instead of wooden horses, dolls and plastic guns. The computer geeks of the world are now a dying breed. And because of this, the Pandora will be recognised by the public for what it really is, an amazingly powerful, feature packed pocket device.

danboid said:

I can only add a d) point here - luck. I really think (hope) if those 4 points are met p&|a will be a hit. No doubt.

danboid said:
Nah, don't think it will be that big. I'm sure it will be a success, but it will only be a huge hit when big companies start making commercial games for it. I don't see that happen.
Also I think the Pandora will be launched too late to really benefit from the eeepc effect. There are even eeepc look-a-likes appearing right now, and I think within a few months we will have a lot more choice in the small laptops /handhelds segment.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Am I the only one who dislikes using p&|a? Okay I got the joke straight away but commercially it's useless.
Agreed. The Pandora wants to reach a wider class of customers so this is the wrong way in my opinion.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
Agreed. The Pandora wants to reach a wider class of customers so this is the wrong way in my opinion.
Regards,
Stephan
Who said so? As far as I know the Pandora aims for the GP2X usergroup and it may also attract people that want to use it for the PDA/laptop capabilities. It is not meant to compete with DS or PSP, those are for the kids. P&|a is just great. Advertise with Pandora and use P&|a as logo.

b_o_b said:
sbock said:
Regards,
Stephan
Who said so? As far as I know the Pandora aims for the GP2X usergroup and it may also attract people that want to use it for the PDA/laptop capabilities. It is not meant to compete with DS or PSP, those are for the kids. P&|a is just great. Advertise with Pandora and use P&|a as logo.

So the Pandora is only meant for people who have studied logic? Yeah, great idea.

P&|a is a great little thing, but lets face it, not that many people will get it, and those who do won't give a shit about the marketing, they'll already know about it, so if they're gonna buy one they will regardless of the logo.

Interesting Logo ideas here in this Thread. :) I like simple ones, these open Boxes, only one or 2 colours are good. But there always should be some kind of mysterious shining from inside the Box which indicates, that something is inside, something powerful.

fusion_power said:
Interesting Logo ideas here in this Thread. :) I like simple ones, these open Boxes, only one or 2 colours are good. But there always should be some kind of mysterious shining from inside the Box which indicates, that something is inside, something powerful.
I did:
P.gif

because it was a box, and kinda pixel like, which emulates the old style. I had an idea that kinda sliced through the pixels, but it didn't work.

Adition: A mono logo is easier to stamp etc....

teggun said:
b_o_b said:
sbock said:
Regards,
Stephan

So the Pandora is only meant for people who have studied logic? Yeah, great idea.

P&|a is a great little thing, but lets face it, not that many people will get it, and those who do won't give a shit about the marketing, they'll already know about it, so if they're gonna buy one they will regardless of the logo.

The point of a logo, is that you don't have to get it, if it's done right. Just has to look nice and P&|a represents the console well I think and should be easy to turn into a nice logo. And as mentioned the word Pandora can also be put on the console somewhere, and the console should probably be referred to as Pandora.

The point of a logo, is that you don't have to get it, if it's done right. Just has to look nice and P&|a represents the console well I think and should be easy to turn into a nice logo. And as mentioned the word Pandora can also be put on the console somewhere, and the console should probably be referred to as Pandora.

Agreed, but P&|a is clever, it just looks ugly.

Sphinxter said:

No one will take it seriously
How delusional can you get. Naming it the Suppository with a graphic usage logo would not alter it's impact.

That is why corporate companies spend millions on logos....?

WarmFluffyUK said:

Agreed, but P&|a is clever, it just looks ugly.

Agreed 100% with W&FUK

WarmFluffyUK said:
Sphinxter said:

No one will take it seriously
How delusional can you get. Naming it the Suppository with a graphic usage logo would not alter it's impact.

That is why corporate companies spend millions on logos....?

Impressive as that might be just because they piss away millions at it doesn't mean anything except they piss away millions. History has shown that you might as well choose by casting chicken bones or swinging a dead cat in the graveyard. Do you believe Coke owns the cola market because the can is red?

Sphinxter said:
Impressive as that might be just because they piss away millions at it doesn't mean anything except they piss away millions. History has shown that you might as well choose by casting chicken bones or swinging a dead cat in the graveyard. Do you believe Coke owns the cola market because the can is red?
Among other things, Coke owns the cola market because when you see text that looks remotely like the Coca-Cola text, you think of one particular soda pop. Because when you see a red background with a white curvy line going across it, you think of one particular soda pop. Because when you see a can of pop that's coloured red, you think "I bet that's a cola drink".

Of COURSE it has to do with successful marketing in general, but you cannot deny the fact that an easily recognisable logo (Apple, anyone?) makes marketing a LOT easier. If you're going to market a product, it's useless if your logo is a jumbled mess.

When thinking of logo creation, you have to think outlines. Again, look at the Apple logo. Look at the Windows logo. Look at Pac-Man. I'm not saying an easily recognisable and memorable logo automagically gives you good sales, but I'm saying that marketing outside of the enthusiast market is useless without one.

Back