Pandora In The Gp2x Form Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
PoisonedV said:
DOS, interactive fiction, adventure games, simulations, online chatting, documents, web browsing, forum posts, are just a few of the features. I used to like you, chad, but now you are just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn, prick.
sorry to rant around. But what kind of idiot are you?
He stated since his FIRST post in THIS thread, that it is NOT HIS opion. And I can understand the OP aswell.
For gods sake, the OP don't want to abondon the pandora and make it a GP2x clone!

He is intending to use it as a GP2x (that is, a faster Gp2x with better screen and D-Pad). He is NOT intending to use it as an UMPC as all the others here. For gods sake, get some brain and don't start bullshitting against other users when you don't understand what they are saying.

What a horrible thread, no I jumped in to explain what soem one was saying, who just explains what anotehr poerson was saying :)

P.S.:
Normally I don't swear as much in public to people I don't know, but this made me REALLY angry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joppu said:
And as we know most of the game systems that will be emulated won't use some 101-button keyboard controls. like the Neo-geo, 4 buttons, coin, start, dpad. PSX has 8 buttons, start, select and a dpad. Why would you use keyboard with those systems?.
Hardly justifying why don't need a keyboard. Please, for the sake of my sanity and others who disagree please find out the reason why the Pandora is the way it is.

Joppu said:
If Pandora becames very popular I don't see why something like "Pandora: Game Edition" could not been released if there would be demand for it.
Read my last sentence in the quote above.

I for one would actually welcome a Pandora in a gp2x form factor. Clamshell does offer better screen protection but an innovative solution could be developed for a gp2x-like handheld. Maybe a thin hinged lid, not unlike the clamshell except it contains no screen, covering the entire device but folds all the way to the back when it is to be used.
Anyway this isn't my point.

This is entirely my opinion:

While I appreciate that most people here seem to have the need to use the Pandora not only as a gaming device but as a UMPC too, I've never really understood the appeal of a UMPC. For myself, any computing related tasks would mostly be rendered useless without an internet connection, and here in the UK, wifi coverage isn't great, so if a UMPC isn't also a phone with 3G/Edge I probably wouldn't have much use for it. This is why I own an iPhone as it integrates my phone with a music player, and any PDA/general computing related apps that I might need.

Now I just need something for gaming, so currently I use a GP2X, and eventually Pandora when it is finally released.

I generally look at my life and try and find where a UMPC would be beneficial and to be honest I can't find anywhere where it would fit in. I am a programmer by day, so I spend 9-5 sat in front of the computer doing work, so the last thing I want to do is to do work while I'm commuting or on-the-go. In the rare occasions, I can simply whip out my laptop and do a bit of quick coding here and there, but when I'm travelling, I often just listen to music or play games. I expect thats what most people do too?

If I require PDA type applications such as calendar, todo etc I have my iPhone, which also has a handy edge connection for the occasions where I want to find the nearest Starbucks using googlemaps.

I think my mindset is probably due to the fact that I simply prefer the slick simplified user interface of the mobile phone, which is very efficient at what it does, and doesn't distract me what I want to do.

At the end of the day, if the pandora had phone capability, then that would be a whole different story altogether

Edit: By all means I am not demanding a change of Pandora's design, of course it is too late and I apperciate the compromises that the developers have made. However, given that there is sufficient demand, I see a Pandora Gaming Edition would be a good idea to boost further sales.

I understand where you're coming from:
phi6 said:
I see a Pandora Gaming Edition would be a good idea to boost further sales.
But surely that would require two lots of set up costs, everything that was written/ported would have to be checked that everything worked on both versions. I'm guessing the OS would need to be different too, as would would be based upon apps where you could type etc and uses linux apps/repositories that weren't needed/capable of being used on a games only version.

phi6 said:
If I require PDA type applications such as calendar, todo etc I have my iPhone
And for those of us who don't want (or can't afford/can't afford Pandora and) an iPhone, the Pandora makes a lot of sense. And it will be fun and useful.

[Rant]
Before it hits the streets people want changes, next versions etc (that's not aimed at you phi6). Pandora is a big step in a direction I (and many others) like. The developers have tried to best meet peoples wants and needs. If people don't like it, don't buy it. Get a beagleboard and develop it yourself.
[/Rant]

Thanks for your comments Tag. Nevertheless I WILL be pre-ordering one of the first 3000 units, and I can't wait. Having a keyboard won't bother me that much, but I just made my comments to show how a unit would 100% be most ideal for myself. Selfish? Probably!

But I'll probably eat my words when I try to play Elite without a keyboard.

phi6 said:
Having a keyboard won't bother me that much.....

But I'll probably eat my words when I try to play Elite without a keyboard.
It will be interesting to see if after a month or two of ownership you find that the keyboard is useful and because it's there you use the functionality - I suspect you will find it very useful and end up glad its there, perhaps not all the time. We'll have to wait and see.

TaG said:
But surely that would require two lots of set up costs, everything that was written/ported would have to be checked that everything worked on both versions. I'm guessing the OS would need to be different too, as would would be based upon apps where you could type etc and uses linux apps/repositories that weren't needed/capable of being used on a games only version.
No, it wouldn't require a new OS. The already-in-use example is the N800 / N810. The N800 has no keyboard, the N810 has one built in. They have the same OS, same applications, same games, same everything. They both have a touchscreen. The N800 simply uses an onscreen keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard or a USB keyboard for those applications where a keyboard is needed. The onscreen keyboard has already been brought up several times in this thread.
And for those of us who don't want (or can't afford/can't afford Pandora and) an iPhone, the Pandora makes a lot of sense. And it will be fun and useful.
Agreed, I already got rid of my N800 because it will be useless once I get my Pandora.
[Rant]
Before it hits the streets people want changes, next versions etc (that's not aimed at you phi6). Pandora is a big step in a direction I (and many others) like. The developers have tried to best meet peoples wants and needs. If people don't like it, don't buy it. Get a beagleboard and develop it yourself.
[/Rant]
Yeah - because you developed the Pandora yourself, right? It's easy to say "Do it yourself" when someone has already done it for you. Why don't you let other people make suggestions for the Pandora - and *YOU* build your super gadget YOURSELF? Everyone, and I do mean *EVERYONE*, is just as entitled to voice their opinion about the Pandora as you. There are obviously people whose ideas don't mesh with yours. Telling them to STFU doesn't somehow make your opinion more important. Just because you were "here first" doesn't make your opinion more important. I'm not saying the other guy's is more important either. Just not less. As in, equal.

chad78 said:
Yeah - because you developed the Pandora yourself, right? It's easy to say "Do it yourself" when someone has already done it for you. Why don't you let other people make suggestions for the Pandora - and *YOU* build your super gadget YOURSELF? Everyone, and I do mean *EVERYONE*, is just as entitled to voice their opinion about the Pandora as you. There are obviously people whose ideas don't mesh with yours. Telling them to STFU doesn't somehow make your opinion more important. Just because you were "here first" doesn't make your opinion more important. I'm not saying the other guy's is more important either. Just not less. As in, equal.
My point was precisely that the developers were going to all this trouble so that people like me/us can buy it. No I can't even begin to develop it. Nor can you. Nor can a lot of the people reading these forums.
Thats the point - if any of us don't like what we are being offerred its probably too late to change most things so either buy or don't.
I also didn't tell anyone to STFU, and I certainly don't think my opinion is more important than anyone else's, far from it. Although looking at some of your recent posts maybe yours are more important.

Do you have to argue with everything anybody writes?

chad78 said:
No, it wouldn't require a new OS. The already-in-use example is the N800 / N810. The N800 has no keyboard, the N810 has one built in. They have the same OS, same applications, same games, same everything. They both have a touchscreen. The N800 simply uses an onscreen keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard or a USB keyboard for those applications where a keyboard is needed. The onscreen keyboard has already been brought up several times in this thread.
But... Do you think that the developers will try to go through the trouble to figure this all out, all to eventually release, basically, a replica of the old design minus the excellent functionality of a qwerty pad, design an onscreen keyboard that somehow pleases everybody, all to eventually release it at the same price tag as the original? Just to appease a few people? I mean, we're talking fundamental design changes this late in the game. This project has already taken a turn (some, apparently think for the worse) somewhere down the line that made it into the thing it is now. I am happy.
I, personally, think it's too late to ask for a redesign, and too early to want a second edition.*

*Disclaimer: I am in no way attempting to attack the OP. I feel I have just as much right as he to voice my opinion on the subject.

chad78 said:
Everyone, and I do mean *EVERYONE*, is just as entitled to voice their opinion about the Pandora as you. There are obviously people whose ideas don't mesh with yours. Telling them to STFU doesn't somehow make your opinion more important. Just because you were "here first" doesn't make your opinion more important. I'm not saying the other guy's is more important either. Just not less. As in, equal.
chad, can you fell my pain now? it's incredibly unpleasant to have to keep explaining your opinions over and over, just because people keep flaming you.
people, read what chad has said before trying to distort his words.
even though I don't agree with the tone he used to reply to Prophet, which is a nice guy, he hasn't said anything that absurd.
let it rest already :closedeyes:

Creature XL said:
PoisonedV said:
DOS, interactive fiction, adventure games, simulations, online chatting, documents, web browsing, forum posts, are just a few of the features. I used to like you, chad, but now you are just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn, prick.
sorry to rant around. But what kind of idiot are you?
He stated since his FIRST post in THIS thread, that it is NOT HIS opion. And I can understand the OP aswell.
For gods sake, the OP don't want to abondon the pandora and make it a GP2x clone!

He is intending to use it as a GP2x (that is, a faster Gp2x with better screen and D-Pad). He is NOT intending to use it as an UMPC as all the others here. For gods sake, get some brain and don't start bullshitting against other users when you don't understand what they are saying.

What a horrible thread, no I jumped in to explain what soem one was saying, who just explains what anotehr poerson was saying :)

P.S.:
Normally I don't swear as much in public to people I don't know, but this made me REALLY angry.

:rolleyes: I have to say, some posts in this thread made me laugh out loud. And, you know, lose all faith in humanity.

You guys keep repeating the same shit: LOL, CHAD NEVER SAID THAT WAS HIS OPINION, HES JUST ARGUING TO POINT!

PoisonedV said:
You guys keep repeating the same shit: LOL, CHAD NEVER SAID THAT WAS HIS OPINION, HES JUST ARGUING TO POINT!

You keep saying the same shit - "I'm an idiot who can't read. But I'm going to keep saying the keyboard is vital to play 20 year old text based adventure games. NetHack FTW!"

Sierra released a number of those keyboard-is-god games for consoles. Some even on consoles as limited as the NES (King's Quest 5, for example - I wonder how such a complex game was ever ported to such a simple 4-button system?). Even that Exile game that I was introduced to on this thread - THAT game was ported to non-keyboard equipped consoles, according to the page I was pointed to, two systems that, from what I can see on this website, use game pads. I could be wrong - I've never heard of a CD32 or a AGA before this thread - but the scans of the instruction booklet on this website show what looks like a game pad to me.

The "Elite" game that was mentioned, I don't know anything about.

phi6 said:
At the end of the day, if the pandora had phone capability, then that would be a whole different story altogether

Now that we know it has BT though, it would be feasible and cool to connect with your phone and BT the connection to the Pandora, essentially making the Pandora have access to any networks your phone can get into :)

Chad. My replies were limited to your insistence of these "facts":

The keyboard is not for games.

There are no games that will likely run on the Pandora where both the keyboard and the game controls will be used in any significant way

Name another game system that uses a keyboard for games. Name any game that uses a keyboard and a game pad. There are PC games that can use either a keyboard *or* a game pad - but not both at the same time.

Unless someone purposefully sets out to write a brand new game that uses both the game controls and the keyboard of the Pandora - no game will use both.

which are blatantly false and I'd hate for others to believe it and thus deny themselves of the wide world of games out there.

Edit: FYI while some key + stick games have been crammed into consoles (including Elite), they don't play nearly as well as the original control system allows. You could just as easily say that Mario Bros can be played via keyboard (which it can on some versions) -- but I wouldn't recommend it.

Chad, I'm having trouble understanding why you are not just trying to start trouble here on the board. If I'm wrong then convince me and the others on the board by answering the following questions.
1. What do you personally feel about the Pandora having a keyboard?
2. Do you personally think the price point of the Pandora is too expensive?
3. What would you personally like to happen with Pandora design?
4 If the possibilty for redesign is highly unlikely now, why argue so aggressively?
5 Please, clarify and crystalize your motive for arguing and dedicating energy to this thread.
6. Do you acknowledge the highly unlikely possibility of the Pandora being changed?

I think we should give it up guys, chad isn't worth our time and frustration.

You're right, PV, sorry couldn't help myself.

And computarman: chad doesn't want a redesign, he said a few times he likes the keyboard being there, but, oddly, he just won't accept that it can be used for games as well as non-gaming tasks.

I want a portable entertainment system that will play movies, music
and games. Then I want to be able to surf the web, IM, and do email.
And I want it to be small enough to fit in a jacket pocket.

Hmm, gp2x hit the mark on the first bit - no complaints there.
I haven't been happy with any of the "input options" - keyboards
on the devices that do the latter.

pandora looks like the holy grail to me...

Anyone who had a Spectrum, Amiga, C64, ST, PC (etc.) knows how wonderful it will be to emulate those systems with a real keyboard.

I hardly play them on the GP2X due to having to bring up menus etc. to access the keyboard (this just feels clunky and unnatural), it will be bliss to fire up programs on those systems and use them as they were designed to be used.

However if you are only used to Console games then you can probably never understand my pain.

I also really like the idea of posting on this very board from the Pandora.

craigix said:
Anyone who had a Spectrum, Amiga, C64, ST, PC (etc.) knows how wonderful it will be to emulate those systems with a real keyboard.
I notice on Prophet's sticky that there is no one has said they will be working on the Spectrum or C64 emulators. Anybody know any different?
(All this power in a handheld and we want to emulate the Spectrum... Funny old world)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back