Pandora In The Gp2x Form Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yrx said:
chad78, you kind of like to argue...

I don't get why you wouldn't want the keyboard if it's already there. I could live without it, and I probably won't use it much, but it will be nice to have if I ever decide to use the vast potential for something else. I don't really see how it gets in the way, that's all. The only benefit to taking it away would be that you could squeeze everything into a non-clamshell design, but it would still be very thick (although I guess I still don't see the benefit of this...). The analogs wouldn't really have anywhere to go, either.

Oh, and if anyone ever puts an online game on here, then a keyboard would be very nice for chat.
I'm not the one asking for the game-only version. I'm not the OP. And I have already said, on this thread, that *I* personally want the keyboard - as *I* will be using the Pandora as more than a game system. All I was trying to do was explain why someone, (like the OP), who just wants a game system as powerful as the Pandora could easily do without the keyboard and still play (almost) as many games as the Pandora. I doubt anyone will be playing "a proper flight sim" (whatever that means - a proper flight sim would have a throttle and a steering wheel - NOT a QWERTY keyboard. I've never see a pilot sit down behind a keyboard and mouse in the cockpit) on the Pandora using the keyboard. As I am not a Linux gamer, I don't know of too many "proper flight sims" that are open source, ARM compatible, and run on Linux.

The keyboard is (primarily) for non-gaming related tasks. I like that. I don't want just another game system. I have a modded PSP and DS Lite (it's even in my sig). I even have a GameBoy Micro to do my ultra-ultra portable gaming on. If the Pandora were just the GP3X, or the GP2X2 or whatever - I wouldn't want it, (as evidenced by the fact that I have neither the GP2X, not the GP32, despite knowing about both for a number of years - check the date I joined these forums).

However, I *can* see the appeal of a keyboardless Pandora. To me, it would be a lot like having an N800 with gaming controls (or - an iControlPad equipped iPhone), only more powerful than either. Even as a non-gaming device, it would have merit, just like an N800 or an iPod Touch or a any number MIDs/PMPs/InternetTablets that don't have keyboards. Since BlueTooth has been announced, I plan on using a BT KB anyway. So, in most cases (admittedly, not all), the built-in keyboard won't see much use from me.

Once again, I personally want the keyboard. I'm glad it's there. I have all the inputs I truly need in one place, without having to carry an extra controller or an extra keyboard. Kudos to the keyboard! Viva la keyboard! But I do understand the OP's point.

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X said:
chad78 said:
How many non-port, non-emulated games do you really expect to come out for the Pandora? How many of *those* do you really expect to take advantage of the keyboard?
http://ifdb.tads.org/ for a start.

DOS, interactive fiction, adventure games, simulations, online chatting, documents, web browsing, forum posts, are just a few of the features. I used to like you, chad, but now you are just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn, prick.

chad78 said:
I doubt anyone will be playing "a proper flight sim" (whatever that means - a proper flight sim would have a throttle and a steering wheel - NOT a QWERTY keyboard. I've never see a pilot sit down behind a keyboard and mouse in the cockpit) on the Pandora using the keyboard. As I am not a Linux gamer, I don't know of too many "proper flight sims" that are open source, ARM compatible, and run on Linux.
Funny, because I distinctly remember playing AV8B Harrier on the GP2X and thinking how great it would be to have a physical keyboard instead of the on-screen one... I know others who have played Battle of Britain on the GP2X as well. You seem to have a tendency when faced with something you don't personally enjoy to assume that no one would or could ever enjoy it.

And yes, a proper flight sim (as opposed to an arcade flight sim, such as Ace Combat or other console games) most definitely needs a keyboard. Do I really have to explain this? Sigh, I guess so. You have seen a plane's cockpit before? Notice lots and lots of little buttons? They all do something. Here's just a quick example of some key controls: http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/getstart/ge...tml#x9-480004.2 (btw, that just happens to be from an open source Linux flight sim... and no, I'm not suggesting someone will port it to ARM)

I honestly don't understand why you're arguing -- you want the keyboard but you don't want anyone to use it to play games with?

I'm trying to explain somebody else's point. The person had a point. There's a reason no other game system comes with a keyboard.

This isn't a just a game system - I know. I've expressed that knowledge numerous times. if you can't or won't read, that's your own stupidity.

Once again, it was NOT ME who asked for the keyboardless Pandora.

It was NOT ME who asked for the gaming only version.

However, everyone who says that the idea of a keyboardless Pandora is completely without merit - is simply wrong. Will it happen? of course not, but it's not a pointless concept. The iControlPad kind of proves that.

If a new design is highly unlikely at this point then why waste any energy on the matter- let alone argue about it.

chad78 said:
Yrx said:
chad78, you kind of like to argue...

I don't get why you wouldn't want the keyboard if it's already there. I could live without it, and I probably won't use it much, but it will be nice to have if I ever decide to use the vast potential for something else. I don't really see how it gets in the way, that's all. The only benefit to taking it away would be that you could squeeze everything into a non-clamshell design, but it would still be very thick (although I guess I still don't see the benefit of this...). The analogs wouldn't really have anywhere to go, either.

Oh, and if anyone ever puts an online game on here, then a keyboard would be very nice for chat.
I'm not the one asking for the game-only version. I'm not the OP. And I have already said, on this thread, that *I* personally want the keyboard - as *I* will be using the Pandora as more than a game system. All I was trying to do was explain why someone, (like the OP), who just wants a game system as powerful as the Pandora could easily do without the keyboard and still play (almost) as many games as the Pandora. I doubt anyone will be playing "a proper flight sim" (whatever that means - a proper flight sim would have a throttle and a steering wheel - NOT a QWERTY keyboard. I've never see a pilot sit down behind a keyboard and mouse in the cockpit) on the Pandora using the keyboard. As I am not a Linux gamer, I don't know of too many "proper flight sims" that are open source, ARM compatible, and run on Linux.

The keyboard is (primarily) for non-gaming related tasks. I like that. I don't want just another game system. I have a modded PSP and DS Lite (it's even in my sig). I even have a GameBoy Micro to do my ultra-ultra portable gaming on. If the Pandora were just the GP3X, or the GP2X2 or whatever - I wouldn't want it, (as evidenced by the fact that I have neither the GP2X, not the GP32, despite knowing about both for a number of years - check the date I joined these forums).

However, I *can* see the appeal of a keyboardless Pandora. To me, it would be a lot like having an N800 with gaming controls (or - an iControlPad equipped iPhone), only more powerful than either. Even as a non-gaming device, it would have merit, just like an N800 or an iPod Touch or a any number MIDs/PMPs/InternetTablets that don't have keyboards. Since BlueTooth has been announced, I plan on using a BT KB anyway. So, in most cases (admittedly, not all), the built-in keyboard won't see much use from me.

Once again, I personally want the keyboard. I'm glad it's there. I have all the inputs I truly need in one place, without having to carry an extra controller or an extra keyboard. Kudos to the keyboard! Viva la keyboard! But I do understand the OP's point.

I can understand where he's coming from, as well. But I also understand that his logic is flawed. That's why I'm not defending him, lol.

My main problem was with Prophet's suggestion that having a keyboard and game controls somehow makes a new level of complex gaming possible. I've played games that use a keyboard. I've played games that use a game pad. I've played games that use a camera. I've played games that use a microphone. The combination of a keyboard and gamepad style controls isn't going to make good games instantly appear. It will allow for playing both types of games (kb & gp) but it won't magically combine the two into some kind of super game.

Unless someone purposefully sets out to write a brand new game that uses both the game controls and the keyboard of the Pandora - no game will use both. And if that special multi-input game does get written, it would be a bitch to play, because you'd have to keep switching your hand positions back and forth. It wouldn't be much more convenient than playing a game that made you use both a keyboard and game pad plugged into a desktop. You'd still be juggling controls, they'd just be in one place.

Hey, maybe someone will write that game - maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it will change the world of gaming forever, and all the next gen consoles will copy the Pandora's lead and all future game controllers will look like this:

xbox-360-chat-pad.jpg

Who knows?

(but, even in that, you still have to move your hands around to play - it's not like you're going to be hitting X Y A - Space bar Space bar - Shift - L1 - Right - Enter.... You are either typing - or you are playing the game - not both at the same time.)

But I really don't see how More Buttons = "Less Simplistic Games"

chad78 said:
My main problem was with Prophet's suggestion that having a keyboard and game controls somehow makes a new level of complex gaming possible. I've played games that use a keyboard. I've played games that use a game pad. I've played games that use a camera. I've played games that use a microphone. The combination of a keyboard and gamepad style controls isn't going to make good games instantly appear. It will allow for playing both types of games (kb & gp) but it won't magically combine the two into some kind of super game.
Geeze, chad, I and others have already pointed out to you that there are many games that do in fact use keys + gamepad (or joystick) to play. A few examples we have given to you are Sierra adventures (Kings Quest et al), flight sims, and literally dozens of games on systems like C64, Amiga, ST, MSX, ZX etc.

Here's a perfect example:

Exile (Key controls)

Or maybe you've heard of a little game called Elite?

There are a ton of examples. And there's no reason why Pandora could not be utilized to make similarly complex games in the future.

Chad, once again: Just because you don't play games that use keyboards, doesn't mean others don't. Just because you personally don't know something, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Walls of text, oh man. Why expend all that energy building a straw man case against a throw-away comment? Perhaps Prophet doesn't have the spare hours to qualify every one of his statements with an essay, but there's only one person here who didn't get what he was saying.

Chill mate! I was hoping you would check out some of those games and open up a whole new world for yourself... Stuff like Exile is amazing, and the Quest games should be brilliant on Pandora.

chad78 said:
My main problem was with Prophet's suggestion that having a keyboard and game controls somehow makes a new level of complex gaming possible.
But I really don't see how More Buttons = "Less Simplistic Games"
You just like to argue chad.

What I was referencing was mainly computer emulation. I was never suggesting "a new level of complex gaming" - that is your (mis)interpretation of what I wrote. Perhaps I didn't word things well in my post earlier, but I can't believe you turned it into such a pointless argument. It was only my opinion, just as the TC had his opinion. There was no need for any arguments.

atomicthumbs said:
The Pandora ought to be like this, so that everybody can afford one:

GameKing2.jpg
Well it's a nice idea. But can we change the D pad coz I don't like it? Also I'm not too sure about the button labels... does anybody have any other suggestions :p

Playing Police Quest 1 on the F200 can be a chore, because using the stylus to press the predictive text keys is extremely awkward. I am grateful that the ScummVM devs have given me the oportunity to play PQ, don't get me wrong. But as far as an on-screen keyboard goes, it is in no way better than a real keyboard. Using a stylus just can't cut it when it comes to text based games, it is hard enough playing games like Sam and Max (ahhh, the good times) let alone text based games.

EDIT: I would be hesitant to purchase the Pandora if it weren't a clamshell. IMO, the design offers more protection for the screen and the pressing of buttons, it is practically its own case. And it adds more functionality, I don't see the problem, in fact I see the problem with the GP2x style rather than the clamshell design.

I'm hoping there's a way to mod it to rotate and fold over the screen like the more recent model Sharp Zaurus PDAs or like the OLPC XO-1 (including the controls on either side and the screen rotation option). I'd love for this thing to operate as a PDA and eBook reader, too (great for those bathroom meditation sessions). In fact, I'd get the OLPC if it weren't sooo slow and could be pocketed like this can... *sigh*

PoisonedV said:
I'm a tolerant racist!
Was that a Godwin?

Can I post funny Hitler pictures now and get this thread locked?

Ok, I won't, but...

People... or rather, certain people... if you don't agree with a point that someone else made, why spend such a huge amount of energy explaining it when that person couldn't even be bothered to write anything more than a small paragraph? If he cares that much about it, let him do it. It's not your job to care for him.

Ok, Ok, Ok, Really I think that when I get my pandora the keyboard will be very useful, I could use my pandora at school or use it for web browsing and chatting. I know that pandora is not only for gaming, but SOM E PEOPLE WOULD PREFER a pandora without the kayboard FOR JUST FOR GAMING. And ass we know most of the game systems that will be emulated won't use some 101-button keyboard controls. like the Neo-geo, 4 buttons, coin, start, dpad. PSX has 8 buttons, start, select and a dpad. Why would you use keyboard with those systems?. If Pandora becames very popular I don't see why something like "Pandora: Game Edition" could not been released if there would be demand for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back