Pandora ignorance

id say its a fair review for the most part, it just doesnt seem like the device hes looking for, he likes his little windows machine w/o any gaming controls. everyone here knows the build quality isnt on par with sony/nintendo/apple and that some of the early units can be compared to xbox as far as how quickly they break. he cant figure out psx emulation, he plays n64 with a tiny keyboard, he says the pandoras controls and nubs are excellent, and for once, someone says the wifi works great. this is a positive review in my eyes and is doing everything it can to sell me on it

id say its a fair review for the most part, it just doesnt seem like the device hes looking for, he likes his little windows machine w/o any gaming controls. everyone here knows the build quality isnt on par with sony/nintendo/apple and that some of the early units can be compared to xbox as far as how quickly they break. he cant figure out psx emulation, he plays n64 with a tiny keyboard, he says the pandoras controls and nubs are excellent, and for once, someone says the wifi works great. this is a positive review in my eyes and is doing everything it can to sell me on it

I'm sorry but every time some prat says that the pandora can't play n64 or PSX I want to shove a properly set up pandora in their face and say "Does this look slow to you, you thick idiot!"

People like this guy should stick to tech they understand like TV remotes and microwaves. The Pandora should require an IQ test to purchase to weed out people like him that just don't get it.

There... I feel much better now that's off my chest.

He complains a lot about the plastic case. Of course all of that is true, just depends on how much it bothers you, I guess.

I don't know what his issue with N64 and PSX emulation is.

I could not resist to make a few comments on that video. Basically he has a few good points about the hardware, but we all know OpenPandora is not a company with the money to make jewels. Considering the software: this guy does not know what he is talking about. Nothing at all. And comparing it to a device which costs $300 more is unfair to say the least. Although I would not want to trade my Pandora for that device either. Especially since it doesn't have any gaming controls.

It's obvious that he didn't spend much time on the boards, otherwise he would have known about the build quality.

He's not wrong though. Plenty of flaws and room for improvement there.

Before I received my unit, I once said I expected the case to be the weakest point of the Pandora.

I can only confirm that. It's not bothering me, but for some customers this is important.

I also believe him about his claim that his Atom based device runs N64 and PSX emulators faster.

So, it wasn't what he was expected. Well, that happens.

It's a fine unit and I'm looking forward to what its successor will become.

of course it's obvious that the Pandora isn't going to have the build quality of a multi-billion dollar company that spent hundreds of millions in research and device prototyping before releasing their devices. OpenPandora doesn't have the funding for anything of the sort, if perhaps they did, then we would have units of similar build quality to the big corporations. but for pretty much a home grown start up, i think OpenPandora got most things right. sure there could be room for improvement, but for a small company's first device, i say it's worth every penny. sure there may be no follow up to the Pandora, but let's hope there is.

everyone that's seen my Pandora never mention anything about it's build quality. i tell them the story behind Pandora and most show enthusiasm that such a project could even have gotten off the ground. and as for PSX or N64 emulation, pretty much spot on, so don't know where the guy in the video is coming from.

I can't say I care for people who critique plastic, or "fit and finish", because most of the time it's nonsense. Indeed that is usually the calling card of someone who buys a markedly inferior product, and then wastes massive funds trying to make it function like the superior product because they're obsessed with perceptional nonsense instead of functionality, utility, and durability whether it be guns, computers, or otherwise.

In this case almost half the review is emphasizing warpage that is within tolerances such that it is so subtle you pretty much have to look for it to notice. All without even an attempt being made at making the case this is a real issue instead of just 99% the arbitrary user perception of device that is utterly divided from functionality or utility.

I'm not finding his particular Atom UMPC, but similar models are 2-3 hours battery life with a single core, while his is claimed as a dual. So if one want to talk quality maybe he should focus on things that actually influence utility of the device like his Atom UMPC having no battery life of consequence, instead of obsessing over the polymers not being molded to sufficient tolerance to meet his perception of perfection instead of adequacy.

And hence we have yet another example proving the rule that if someone is obsessive on fit and finish, look at the opposite of what they're hawking.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just goes to show that Apple realized what people were looking for, looks and feel. While most of their products are usable they definitely excel in the product design category. If it looks flashy and cool, like he felt about his Umid and "works" that is enough for some people.

re: Apple

Not really. Apple's strength is in marketing perception, brand management, and recognizing opportunities they can exploit through a strong marketing campaign. None of the fundamental tricks they use are particularly sophisticated and they don't actually sell that many units. The way they've succeeded in dancing on the head of a pin about being the Idiot's Computer Company though is a feat in of itself though.

The actual design work from them tends toward the simple into the overly simple, and is only noteworthy compared to say Dell for their different choices in thermoplastics and logo insignia. It's very much the same sort of situation as with Ginsu knives.

actually this litle UMPC was very tasty to me some time ago, but i got a pandora instead :D

it exists in a few variations as different brands sell it (in france, it's sold under the name "spiga" by sagem) and i do recall that the first UMID version (from a korean brand i think... ) were highly criticized for.... build quality issues and lousy case molding and fitting....

so some people did buy this precise machine, and did get something even worse than the pandora in term of casing.... isn't it slightly ironic? :D

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released or officially canceled. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking. The word usually implies a negative opinion of a product or developer, and pessimistic uncertainty that it will eventually be released. The word has been applied to a growing range of products including consumer electronics, automobiles, and some stock trading practices. At times, vendors are criticized for intentionally producing vaporware in order to keep customers from switching to competitive products that offer more features.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Back