Beta Pandora Hotfix Pack 2 For Zaxxon

Off, or just disconnected? Mine goes off when I've used the "Toggle WiFi" option in the menu, but it'll stay there otherwise.

gibberish said:
well that's vaguely worrying because i have wifi switched off. :D

It will be bluetooth then, I had the same problem.

Also, first post from pandora B)

edit: or it could be what Prometheus said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disabled? Have you been right-clicking the networking icon, by any chance? There's an option called "Toggle WiFi" in the menu, under System, if you're using Xfce. Use that. ;)

aha. done, and voila the light goes out.
so what is the difference between disabling wifi (right clicking the networking icon) and turning it off in the menu? they sound like the same thing to me...

That, I don't know, but my best guess is that the networking icon's option pertains to software, whilst the menu option doesn't. (It's just a guess, though.)

If you disconnect, WiFi stays on and Network Manager keeps scanning for Networks - which eats battery and causes games to stutter. Also, you should not use it like that in an airplane.
If you disable WiFi, it is disabled. No more scanning, no more battery eating, no more stuttering.

EvilDragon said:
If you disconnect, WiFi stays on and Network Manager keeps scanning for Networks - which eats battery and causes games to stutter. Also, you should not use it like that in an airplane.
If you disable WiFi, it is disabled. No more scanning, no more battery eating, no more stuttering.

hmm!
is ther no way to tell network manager to not scan automatically?
like say, only manually by clickin a refresh button in the gui?

also, a wardriving app would be awesome :3

Gruso said:
Don't mince words do you Dave.
Nope. And it's refreshing, because he's generally right. :)

This idea that Dave and ED thought up for Minimenu sounds a lot like what was done in woogal's Yet Another File Manager (YAFL) for the GP32.

LvZC1.gif

EvilDragon said:

IIRC you planned an 'airplane mode' toggle as some keyboard shortcut? That is the fastest way for "saving battery": pressing that button. Or that wasn't you? :) I'm sure it wasn't me, but we talked a lot about this.

i think things are pretty stable with this hotfix, i'm really using the hell out of my pandora and getting a good time with it ..

torpor said:
i think things are pretty stable with this hotfix, i'm really using the hell out of my pandora and getting a good time with it ..
Glad to hear. :)
I have some progress fixing sound underrun issues, might have a fix soon. After that wifi reconnect issues will need to be looked at and when (if) that works, we could start packing things and moving to the latest mainline kernel and start messing with cpufreq, sleep states and suspend.

notaz said:
torpor said:
I have some progress fixing sound underrun issues, might have a fix soon. After that wifi reconnect issues will need to be looked at and when (if) that works, we could start packing things and moving to the latest mainline kernel and start messing with cpufreq, sleep states and suspend.
Sounds great. :)
Will this be the kernel that supports HW accelerated Video and Audio? ^^

Oh, another Question: I know only some Pandoras have weird Sound problems. But the WiFi reconnect problem, do all Pandoras have this or also only a few?

cosurgi said:
EvilDragon said:

IIRC you planned an 'airplane mode' toggle as some keyboard shortcut? That is the fastest way for "saving battery": pressing that button. Or that wasn't you? :) I'm sure it wasn't me, but we talked a lot about this.

Keep looking in the software hacking subform. I'll be posting a guide (probably later) on how to set up hotkeys - I personally have the wifi toggle set to ctrl-alt-w.

B)

fusion_power said:
notaz said:
torpor said:
Sounds great. :)
Will this be the kernel that supports HW accelerated Video and Audio? ^^

Oh, another Question: I know only some Pandoras have weird Sound problems. But the WiFi reconnect problem, do all Pandoras have this or also only a few?

All. That's software. Disable and re-enable WiFi (without even restarting the unit) and you can reconnect.

Last edited:
Esn said:
Gruso said:
Don't mince words do you Dave.
Nope. And it's refreshing, because he's generally right. :)

This idea that Dave and ED thought up for Minimenu sounds a lot like what was done in woogal's Yet Another File Manager (YAFL) for the GP32.
Actually the idea came as a cross between Gmenu2x (which was my idea originally also) and Pmenu.

OK the 'dont save a screen brightness value of zero' introduces it own little 'feature'. If you plug the Pandora in while it's closed and turned off, the screen comes on meaning charging will take longer. If you're trying to charge with USB and don't notice the screen go on you risk actually draining your battery rather than charging it as, from my computers usb port at least, the usb connection doesn't provide enough power to charge the unit while the screen is on.

Pleng said:
OK the 'dont save a screen brightness value of zero' introduces it own little 'feature'. If you plug the Pandora in while it's closed and turned off, the screen comes on meaning charging will take longer. If you're trying to charge with USB and don't notice the screen go on you risk actually draining your battery rather than charging it as, from my computers usb port at least, the usb connection doesn't provide enough power to charge the unit while the screen is on.

Well, only if it was off during shutdown (meaning: You closed the lid while shutting the unit down) - since the script that saves and restores brightness is only being run on startup and shutdown and nothing else has changed here,

Otherwise, what you describe happened from the very beginning.

When the Pandora is started, a script switches off the backlight whenever you close the lid.
When the lid is already closed, it never triggers this event, therefore the backlight stays on.

An idea would be including a Lid test on startup - if it's closed, turn brightness to 0.

I'll look into this.

Last edited:
Aha. Does the closing of the lid only disables LCD light or also sent the Pandora automaticly into Powersaving mode? (Would be bad if you run Music player with closed Llid ^^)

fusion_power said:
Aha. Does the closing of the lid only disables LCD light or also sent the Pandora automaticly into Powersaving mode? (Would be bad if you run Music player with closed Llid ^^)
Closing lid just turns off the screen from what I've experienced. You can close the lid and continue listening to music, I've done it with the pand in my jacket pocket! :)

It did take me a couple of days to realise that you had to use the sqitch to put the pand into power saving! It downclocks the pand to 14MHz, turns off wifi, bluetooth, sound and the screen... my battery usage is much much better now I know about the power-save switch! :D

Back