Beta Pandora Hotfix Pack 2 For Zaxxon

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

I just finished packing up HotFix Pack 2 for our current OS.
I tested it and it works fine for me - but before releasing it to the public, I want some more guys to test it out :)
So please be aware to NOT TRY THIS OUT UNLESS YOU ARE AWARE YOU MIGHT NEED TO REFLASH YOUR UNIT IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG!
(unlikely, but you never know).

You can grab the pack here:
HotFix 2 for Zaxxon

HotFix 2 also includes all fixes from Hotfix 1, so there's not need to install HotFix 1 on a freshly installed OS.

To install, put the PND-File into /pandora/menu on your SD Card and run the pack from the System-Menu. After it has been installed, you can delete the PND from the card.

Please let me know if everything works.

The following things are included in the pack:

Hotfix 1:
* Kernel: Fixed a bug that caused the Linux Systemtimer to halt sometimes
* Included missing packages: python-shell_2.6.4, python-pygtk_2.16.0, python-pycairo_1.4.0, gnome-vfs-plugin-http_2.24.1, gnome-vfs-plugin-ftp_2.24.1

Hotfix 2:
* Bluetooth: Disabling and restoring state on startup now working properly
* XFCE4: When switching from MiniMenu to XFCE4, the settings are now properly loaded
* Brightness-State: When shutting down, a brightness level of 0 is not saved
* MiniMenu: Fixed caching and closed a memory leak
* WiFi: LEDs now working
* Kernel: Video: don't force waiting for refresh
* MiniMenu: XFCE4-Apps now included in MiniMenu
* Automount: SD Cards are now mounted with noatime and umask 0 so that all users can access the cards properly. Added lazy unmount.
* New: Boost, Lua5.1 and Evince
* New: Script to change the LCD refresh rate from 50 / 60 Hz (ideal for emulators)
* Some typo fixes and general tweaks

Is there a way for XFCE apps to NOT show up in minimenu? I don't want all of that stuff cluttering up the interface, more crap to scroll through. If I need XFCE apps I will switch to XFCE.

DaveC said:
Is there a way for XFCE apps to NOT show up in minimenu? I don't want all of that stuff cluttering up the interface, more crap to scroll through. If I need XFCE apps I will switch to XFCE.

Yeah, simply remove the PND files from /usr/pandora/mmenu

EDIT: In case anyone downloaded and installed the HotFix already - please redownload it! There was a small error that removed some settings from the XFCE4-Menus!
You can run the new one once more, it will fix that!

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

How do I do that? I assume a knowledge of linux is needed which I don't have.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I'm aware, all that ED's suggestion requires is that you use the file manager to navigate to that location, right-click the PND files, and click "Delete". No "Linux knowledge" required. :p

DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

sudo rm /usr/pandora/mmenu/*

Hmm, an editor where you can select which apps you want to show up in MiniMenu and which not might be a good idea :D

EDIT: Okay, new file ready for download and install!

Last edited:
DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

I'm not exactly a whiz but if ED's directions are correct wouldn't the following do the trick?

rm /usr/pandora/mmenu/*.pnd

Dead1nside said:
DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

I'm not exactly a whiz but if ED's directions are correct wouldn't the following do the trick?

rm /usr/pandora/mmenu/*.pnd

With sudo in front, but I posted that already :)

Just had a chat with Skeezix - a "Hide" option in MiniMenu would be nice.
Hide any apps you don't want and unhide them temporarily in case you need one of those.
That sounds like cool idea :) Might be an idea for a future update :)

Last edited:
Remind me in the morning, I can show you how to make a config file to suppress tabs you don't want

ED has a good idea, adding a 'hide tab' and 'hide app' set of options, so could hide random things as you go, and then reveal them if you need.

Also, remind me to make it so if oyu hit keyboard, it jumps to the apps starting with that letter (or closest match?), in the tab.

I can always do a minimenu update, and post a mini-patch like I did a week ago, so you can try out builds before hotfixes.

jeff

BTW, folks, you can now specify a default tab, if you want to edit your mmenu.conf file (or copy it to SD and edit it there; the SD copy takes preference over NAND one.) I have mmenu start up and jump to Game tab right away, instead of All

ie: go to Terminal (or Thunar, whatever) and copy /etc/pandora/conf/mmenu.conf to /pandora/mmenu/mmenu.conf on SD. Then you can hack away at it.

60 [categories]

61 catmap_searchpath /media/*/pandora/mmenu:/etc/pandora/mmenu:./minimenu

62 catmap_confname mmcatmap.conf

63 do_all_cat 1 # if >0, will show an All category; if 0, skip it, just your cats.

64 #default_cat Game # if specified, will attempt to use the named category when mmenu starts, instead of 'leftmost' (usually All)

For some crazy ideas about category mapping/renaming/etc, see http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual#Setting_up_Category_Mapping.2FMerging.2FAliasing_and_Custom_Tabs
(not that anyone has ever used the feature before, so god knows if it works ;)

We could create a pnd that hides/hows pandorascripts.pnd -- moves it out of the searchpaths and back, for en mass hiding these scripts from minimenu. That would be an easy hack, save you from mucking with mmenu.conf just to do it.

But if you want a 'hide this app' type feature, then go through and 'blow them all away', let me know ;)

jeff

The only problem I see with a "hide" feature is that is scans and loads the info then hides that info. That means time is wasted loading then hiding. It would be cleaner to bo load them in the first place. If there could be an option in the config "don't scan XFCE" or something like that I think it would be cleaner.

As I said if I want XFCE all I need to do is press a button and "switch GUI"

BTW, Skeezix did you add so that "B" can select menu functions as well as "enter"? That was kind of annoying and made no sense.

theres an option in the confif you coudl alter to do that as well. (Mind you, pulling in those 10 apps or whatever probably takes .1s or so, so not a big worry. Still, cutting down every bit is good ;)

If you copy mmenu.conf to SD, then you'll see this line:

29 aux_searchpath /media/*/pandora/mmenu:/usr/pandora/mmenu # if something here, also search this path; can be used for mmenu-only apps?

I think he's stuffed these apps into /usr/pandora/mmenu, so you could just cut that searchpath out:

aux_searchpath /media/*/pandora/mmenu # if something here, also search this path; can be used for mmenu-only apps?

Then mmenu won't look there.

IF you wanted to get really nutty, you could do stuff like scan the root of the SD for pnd files, or look in all sorts of goofy places. (which could lead to madness, which is why we well defined where it looks.)
Surprised no one has gone serious into minimenu hacking, turned off the All category, changed the widths of the grid columns, etc :) I just assume everyone is using xfce :)

jeff

Currently the Select menu needs Enter, yes.

Minimenu to do list..
- if an apps is in /pandora/apps on SD, don't show it twice
- add B to activate items in the Select menu
- add conf item, that when set, makes keyboard do 'jump to app with that letter' - good or bad idea?
- press 'A' to hide an app, and a Select menu item for 'reveal all hidden apps'? good or bad idea?
- the big one: add a comprehensive config editing UI to minimenu, so people don't have to go config file hacking; how to make a UI for all those damned settings?

- what else?

jeff

skeezix said:
Currently the Select menu needs Enter, yes.

Minimenu to do list..
- if an apps is in /pandora/apps on SD, don't show it twice
- add B to activate items in the Select menu
- add conf item, that when set, makes keyboard do 'jump to app with that letter' - good or bad idea?
- press 'A' to hide an app, and a Select menu item for 'reveal all hidden apps'? good or bad idea?
- the big one: add a comprehensive config editing UI to minimenu, so people don't have to go config file hacking; how to make a UI for all those damned settings?

- what else?

jeff
Jump to letter would be ok but that would conflict with "press A to hide" :p

App hiding? I guess it could be OK but could get confusing if someone hides something then forgets or something.

A context menu thing may work nicer. For example when an app is highlighted you could press a certain hotkey. Then a menu would pop up in the preview area. It would have options: hide, rename (would rename title text in the override file not actual pnd), select icon (pick icon override image) , select preview override image (ok this may not be a big deal as all you do is place in the same dir as pnd, but if someone wants the images in one spot like "previews" or something then ok), edit notes (cursor would pop into the notes area so you could type), maybe even delete (so if after you try an app and it sucks you can nix it right there). That would pretty much kill two birds with one stone. You would have your hide menu plus config file "GUI". You would basically just edit in minimenu interface itself as explained. WYSIWYG style.

Hi Ed, does the hotfix address the Wifi-Usb problem?

My connections is fine, but I need to enter that line of code(sudo ifconfig usb0 down)each time I reboot to disable the usb, or something like that. It's not the end of the world, but a pain in the ass.

Chris

torpor said:
EvilDragon: WHERE IS snd-usb-audio.ko?!!?!?! PLEASE INCLUDE THIS IN THE HOTFIX!

+1

EvilDragon said:
Hotfix 2:
[...]
* New: Script to change the LCD refresh rate from 50 / 60 Hz (ideal for emulators)
This is just too awesome! :D

Back