Prepared to replace the nubs by hand, any advice?

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Ok, so 8 months ago I asked ED for an LCD cable and a pair of nubs to replace on my unit, I only repaired the LCD because nubs can be used as mouse/mouse buttons although response is unacceptable for gaming.

I waited until the production was stable enough to buy a replacement in case I broke the board, and the that day will be this monday, if I really mess the board at least I can buy a replacement in a couple of months.

But before begin with it I wanted to ask here if people who have done this before has any advice.

This topic has emerged before and I remember thing like using gauges to free the nubs and solder the new ones with the lowest temperature possible to avoid damaging them. I have gauges and I will use a soldering station at my faculty, any suggested additional equipment?

Well, I finally did it and it has been an almost-success, the nubs are working but I screwed the mic. I think that it was damaged since I replaced the LCD cable, so, no drama here.

Just wanted to share some thoughts about the process here:

-First of all, don't do it if you are no sure of what you are doing, really those thing are attached in a way to the board that makes very hard to detach them.

-The set of gauges is no optional, you will need something to put under the nubs and then make force while heating the soldering points. And I can't thing in anything more suited for that work that the gauges. I used thickness between 0.1mm 0.25mm.

-Use the thinnest soldering iron you can find, again, the soldering points are really small.

-I used a temperature of 270º for both, detaching and attaching the nubs, neither the nubs nor the board seems to have received any damage so I would say that this is a suitable temperature.

-Be patient, i'm sure this can be made in 10 minutes if you're used to repair pandoras, for me it has been around an hour.

-And finally get prepared to break the mic, that thing is so delicate that you're are going to hit and break it almost for sure when focused on the nubs.

By the way thanks a lot ED for sending me the nubs.

Back