Pandora Button Key Mapping

WorldTripping

Hi,

I read somewhere that pressing the Pandora key brings up the menu.

This only works on my unit if the mouse if over the panel, if the mouse is anywhere else on the screen nothing happens.

Here: http://pandorawiki.org/Keyboard it describes what I believe should be happening, "Quick-press pulls up start menu."

Yet here: http://pandorawiki.org/Keyboard_remapping it says "The use of the Pandora button for menu/kill was un-reliable as of hotfix3."

Is there something I'm missing or need to change to implement this useful feature?

Cheers.

What should be happening is: the mouse jumps to the position of the menu button and clicks. It's a hack implemented a while ago (Zaxxon HF6 AFAIK) because the menu open command wasn't very good.

Do you have the panel set to auto-hide? I think that can make the behavior not work.

• XFCE Menu => Settings => Desktop => Keyboard
  • Goto Tab "Application Shortcuts"
  • Press "Add"
  • fill the textbox with "xfce4-popup-menu"
  • Press "OK"
  • Now press the Pandora Button once*
  • close the "Keyboard Settings" window

Now the menu comes up even if the panel is hidden (well 99% of the time) => but I don't know why the workaround was implemented

* Note: this Dialog is not very self explainatory as you get no information what to do, just the "cancel" button - but you just have to press the (combination of) button(s) you want it assigned to and your done

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the menu comes up even if the panel is hidden (well 99% of the time) => but I don't know why the workaround was implemented

Thanks for the reply, but doesn't seem to work for me. The menu pops up, but flashes off the screen very quickly. It does this whether the panel is set to 'Autohide' or not.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, but doesn't seem to work for me. The menu pops up, but flashes off the screen very quickly. It does this whether the panel is set to 'Autohide' or not.

Cheers.
Thats odd, anything else (other than setting the panel to autohide) that you have reconfigured - regarding panels n' stuff ?

I didn't have a Pandora until after they switched how it works but I'm pretty sure the reason they changed it was that if you run the xfce4-popup-menu when the menu is already open, it will open another one. With the change, you will only get one menu and if you press the Pandora button again it should close the menu (I can't check if it closes since my Pandora is still on it's way back to me after being fixed)

Thats odd, anything else (other than setting the panel to autohide) that you have reconfigured - regarding panels n' stuff ?

Apologies for the late reply. The only other thing I had changed was to move the panel to the top of the screen.

if you press the Pandora button again it should close the menu (I can't check if it closes since my Pandora is still on it's way back to me after being fixed)

It does if the menu is small enough, but if any part of the menu overlaps the menu button, it doesn't work.

ahhh. Well that will be why mines pops on and off the screen then, the menu is quite long.

Nevermind, I'll either shorten the menu, or live without the Pandora Key menu.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

There should be a better way to implement the Pandora button menu, simulated screen click is a quite ugly hack imo. Doesn't xfce have a shortcut for the menu that can be remapped?

There should be a better way to implement the Pandora button menu, simulated screen click is a quite ugly hack imo. Doesn't xfce have a shortcut for the menu that can be remapped?

It seems as if both:

xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu

xfce4-popup-places

Only work when the panel is visible.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back