Assigning that new task manager to the Pandora button?

Blue Protoman

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xfce-taskmanager-xfce4-taskmanager-11126

A great thing, by the way. Any way to have it show up upon holding of the Pandora button? Perhaps even integration into the next Hotfix (because this is much better than the kill menu)?

I want to have the task manager;

1. Show up after holding the Pandora button for a few seconds INSTEAD OF the Kill Menu (even if I have to copy its contents into the NAND; it's a small program)

2. Have it show up over any other application, even those in full-screen

Assigning it to an obscure combination of keys (with as little yoga as possible) would be fine too, but I would prefer the Pandora button.

Last edited by a moderator:
the pandora button is handled via a script in /usr/pandora/scripts iirc. i can only tell from memory, but i think its something like op_menu. edit that and you can achieve what you want.

OK, but how do I force it to come to the front, even past fullscreen programs?

Would you not lose the soft reset function by altering the Pandora button function or is that aspect hardware wired? Just wondering.
the pandora button+power will be a hardware thing, wired into the omaps reset pin (as it works when you're in the bootloader/etc, can't be a software thing)

Uh-huh...but what do I do with it? I see a tar in there, where do I extract its contents to?

>< . lol, expected you had at least a small bit of knowledge about compiling sources on linux :p . ill see what i can do once i have a bit of time. ill try to compile it for you, but youll have to be patient, i dont have the time right now XD. if someone else want to do it, be my guest.

Oh, nice!

We never found a way to bring the kill-dialogue to the front!

This could be a nice solution.

Also, I could include the other filemanager into the OS as well and make it selectable in the settings :)

I would like an option to blast apps in XFCE as well. Maybe Pandora + Start or something like that?

Oh, nice!

We never found a way to bring the kill-dialogue to the front!

This could be a nice solution.

Also, I could include the other filemanager into the OS as well and make it selectable in the settings :)

You mean this, or what other file manager?

"Coming to front" is hard; its same as adding a "HUD" overlay that we've often thought about doing (PSP style)..

- app coudl be without X11 at all, or could be using X11 and full screen or not

- could be using SDL fullscreen driven

- could be GLES taking over the screen

- could be direct framebuffer

- could be using kernel overlays (bitplane style)

Coming to front in a formal way is hard; you coudl just render over wehatever is on the display as one option, but you run into the issue..

.. capturing inputs is another issue (mainly for overlay type idea) -- you coudl just capture the display one way, but if you just capture inputs.. the a game may be running (you could pause it by sending it a signal even), but the inputs are still buffering up for it, whiel the menu is operating .. so you end up needing a kernel hack to 'yank' all inputs.

But if its a well behaved and GUI app, you get off easy.

See, the trick we have, is a nice generalized system; in PSP case, tis one company runs the whole firmware and defines exactly one way to oeprate, so its easy; but for us, we have peopel runing alternative firmwares and running all kidsn of awesome stuff, nothign is easy :)

A new xfce tqask manager is piece of cake though.

jeff

"Coming to front" is hard; (...)

Is this also the reason why we can't minimize most of the running programs and "show desktop" doesn't work if a fullscreen application is running? I'm only used to desktop environments where everything can be minimzed...

If an app is grabbing fullscreen, then it has to cooperate to minimize, if you want it to be graceful.. so yeah. SDL apps can usually minimize okay if theres a way to kick them or they have a menu, but it generally works; ubt if its GLES or /dev/fb or the like, the developer has to take efforts to make it work nicely, and often a quick port doesn't take those pains :) Not much the firmware can do about it.

jeff

>< . lol, expected you had at least a small bit of knowledge about compiling sources on linux :p . ill see what i can do once i have a bit of time. ill try to compile it for you, but youll have to be patient, i dont have the time right now XD. if someone else want to do it, be my guest.
Just installed the toolchain last night and compiled this. No time just now so haven't done anything other than check it prints usage.

Attachments

• wmctrl.gz
    14.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:
Back