Pandora as sound generator

joekutz

Still Fresh
Hi Community!

I would like to use my pandora as a sound-generator for testing speakers and amplifiers. I found some pnd for midi/synth/[music]keyboard but I did not manage to use them in the way i want. could somebody recommend something that makes the pandora:

a ) play a sine/sawtooth/square tone with given frequency

b ) play a sweep from let's say 50Hz to 5000 Hz?

I would really love to use my pandora for this, given the amazing sound quality of the pandora.

cheers,

joe

Last edited by a moderator:
In code::block PND, you have a little tool called "sfxr" that should allow you to do what you want.

If you already have this PND, just open a command line and type sfxr to launch it. If don't have it, downloading 1.3G+ for just that little tools is probably a little overkill, so I can put the program here.

*A unsuccessful search for code::block, a brain-controlled substring generation and a successful search for Code::Blocks later* ;-)  Ah, this is what you mean. Well.. when you could send me the tool without the rest of the package, it would be very nice.

I also found a website with a flash-controllable version of it (http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/)  that actually works on the pandora, but it only plays a limited range of what i want.

Nobody knowing a comfortable sound generator? I don't want to see myself ending up developing a .pnd that can do this for this wonderful little PC! :)

cheers

Here is the software. Put it somewhere and it should works (I hope), its dependencies are light. If it doesn't I'll do a small PND for it...

sfxr.zip

Attachments

• sfxr.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 135
Thank you for the software, but I couldn't make it run yet unfortuneately.

I tried copying the file to /media/mySDcard and also to /bin, but it always says "command not found" when i try to execute it in a terminal. What am i doing wrong?

I found another semi-comfortable method in between.. audacity. It can create and play frequencies and a sweep .. this is what I need at the moment, although seing the frequency that is played at the moment would be nicer.

I tried copying the file to /media/mySDcard and also to /bin, but it always says "command not found" when i try to execute it in a terminal. What am i doing wrong?

I found another semi-comfortable method in between.. audacity. It can create and play frequencies and a sweep .. this is what I need at the moment, although seing the frequency that is played at the moment would be nicer.
you need to type "./sfxr" (without the quote), and not just sfxr, welcome to linux world ;)

you need to type "./sfxr" (without the quote), and not just sfxr, welcome to linux world ;)
This is exactly what i did :). I live since quite a while in the linux world.

And as /bin is a standard executable path, it would have worked anyway. Thought that the pandora is may be not allowed to execute stuff directly from the SD. (I just got the idea.. can it be that i forgot to mark it as executable? did not check for that..)

Oh and actually something worked: Turned out that the topic was up in a old GP32x-forum, and somebody posted a sfxr also there. This one died with a segfault but at least, i tried :)

I think it's just the png that are missing. I just remembered that. I think a couple of them (a font and a logo or something like that) should be at the same place of the software. I don't have access to my Pandora right now, but I'll try to extract the files from the codeblocks PND (and this version of sfxr do works).

Here are the 2 files (tga, not png) (but according to the makefile, the should go to usr/share/sfxr)

sfxr_tga.zip

Attachments

• sfxr_tga.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 148
Hi Community!

I would like to use my pandora as a sound-generator for testing speakers and amplifiers. I found some pnd for midi/synth/[music]keyboard but I did not manage to use them in the way i want. could somebody recommend something that makes the pandora:

I would really love to use my pandora for this, given the amazing sound quality of the pandora.

cheers,

joe
do you need them to be generated on the pandora?

i did this a few years ago to test car audio, i generated several sinewaves on the PC and saved as wav files plus several sweeps up and down then burnt to a CD to test headunits .

im sure you could generate the needed files on a linux box maybe as flac or oog and then just "play"the needed one on the pandora.

Audacity can generate tones and sweeps.
That's what I wrote some posts before :p :)

Hi Community!

cheers,

joe
do you need them to be generated on the pandora?

i did this a few years ago to test car audio, i generated several sinewaves on the PC and saved as wav files plus several sweeps up and down then burnt to a CD to test headunits .

im sure you could generate the needed files on a linux box maybe as flac or oog and then just "play"the needed one on the pandora.
Well.. i don't need to have the sound generated on my pandora. But it would be nice to slide though to a sweep and know the exact frequency. I want to use this to detect standing waves in speaker boxes.

Something like this would be nice: (does not work on pandora unfortuneately) http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

At the moment, i think about creating a large bunch of waves of 1 sec, name them correctly and just play them in rockbox .. would be "almost" the same :)

Here are the 2 files (tga, not png) (but according to the makefile, the should go to usr/share/sfxr)
Thanks! Couldn't try yet but I will today :)

Depending on how precise your frequencies should be but you can use SunVox. Insert basic generator module where you can switch between sin/sq/saw/noise, activate the spectum analyzer and use the onscreen or hw keyboard to play the notes. There is also Touch Theremin-like XY pad to get the smooth frequency transitions.

Attached is the song file with pre-prepared sinus generator ;-)

Edit: Screenshot shows C6 note which is 1046.50 Hz according to this. Analyzer seems to be right.

screen131114-002558.png

sin_gen.zip

Attachments

• sin_gen.zip
    507 bytes · Views: 136
You can try Qtractor (needs QjackCtl) with Invada Test Tones or MDA Test Tone plugins. MDA works with lv2rack too, but not Invada, trying to fix.

I see there is sfxr-dssi plugin, maybe i can compile it for Qtractor.

OK, cool.. two things to try out on the weekend :) (no time before unfortuneately) I will tell what worked for me.

Back