Pandora Angstrom Repository?

relliker

Are/will bug fixes/feature updates to the Pandora's Angstrom OS be happening only through PNDs or will there eventually be a repository for the OS where I can just do something like a yum update or apt-get update/upgrade?

On the same vein, is there something like a cli package installer for individual packages (ala rpm or dpkg)?

Thanks,

relliker

I would also prefer a repository, as this is the standard Linux install approach, which is very convenient!
Whereas the PND approach is more similar to the default Mac "Copy the app bundle to where you like it" approach,
or the even more work intensive Windows "Run the installer" approach.

A lot of stuff from the Angstrom ARM repo will probably work. However the 512MB of internal NAND will be almost full with the standard firmware ( http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual#Where_Can_I_Get_More_Apps.3F) and as far as I know anything installed using ipkg ( http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#Will_there_be_some_sort_of_package_manager.3F ) will need to fit on the NAND too.

So your options are:
1) run OS from NAND and use the PND system for additional software (does the word "App" make anyone else rage?)
2) Format a biggish SD card to ext2 (I think) and boot from it rather than the internal NAND, giving yourself more space.

We actually just had a big argument about this the other day!

The conclusion was that someone would eventually create a Pandora-specific repository (accessed through Angstrom's "opkg") to store everything included in the base OS, and maybe more. Individual end-user applications, however, will continue to be shipped in PNDs. But in that thread, torpor promised to make something even better than PNDs, so maybe that'll change!

But yeah, repo for the base OS eventually, once someone has time to assemble it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We already stated multiple times that there will be a repository available as soon as we had enough time to properly set it up.
Until then, we use Hotfixes for the updates, yes.

Hopefully, we can change that with the next firmware version at latest.

But in that thread, torpor promised to make something even better than PNDs, so maybe that'll change!

== a normal Repo for Base OS updates, and a repo for user apps (for devs that want to be distributed that way), + some form of truce with the PND system so this all still works alongside it ..

EvilDragon said:
We already stated multiple times that there will be a repository available as soon as we had enough time to properly set it up.
Until then, we use Hotfixes for the updates, yes.

Hopefully, we can change that with the next firmware version at latest.

Hehe, sorry ED, I didn't mean to deepen an already-opened wound but I had not seen this mentioned. Too many threads, so little time to read them all. ktxh for the info :)

PhillipJ said:
A lot of stuff from the Angstrom ARM repo will probably work. However the 512MB of internal NAND will be almost full with the standard firmware ( http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual#Where_Can_I_Get_More_Apps.3F) and as far as I know anything installed using ipkg ( http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#Will_there_be_some_sort_of_package_manager.3F ) will need to fit on the NAND too.

So your options are:
1) run OS from NAND and use the PND system for additional software (does the word "App" make anyone else rage?)
2) Format a biggish SD card to ext2 (I think) and boot from it rather than the internal NAND, giving yourself more space.
ipkg can install apps to SD, so there is a third option. (ipkg -d ...)

Also note .. nothign says we can't have some sort of repo for pnd files, too; we always wanted to look into such a thing, and thats what the community can help with :)

jeff

Chero said:
ipkg can install apps to SD, so there is a third option. (ipkg -d ...)

Uhhh :-o, you may want to rethink that, installing apps in the traditional sense to media that can just be removed without warning is just a tad insane ;) . Users will just love the fallout that ensues from that little trick.

Also worth noting that we use OPKG not IPKG (IPKG has been dead for a long time, OPKG is the developed fork). Neither support installing to removable media in any sensible way, patches welcome I am sure if you have some great ideas ;) .

As for the debate about Angstrom repositories, we support the main Angstrom ARMv7 one now for our target (just don't do any wholesale upgrades of the OS unless you want a lot of unvalidated stuff from the unstable repository getting dragged in, it's great for installing specific packages).

That's enabled by default. The plan is to offer an OpenPandora repository of sorts but the best way to do that is something I have been talking about with Angstrom devs (as you can imagine, supporting the OpenPandora in the mainline package repository's out of the box is quite desirable). It's not something that is settled yet.

DJWillis said:
Uhhh :-o, you may want to rethink that, installing apps in the traditional sense to media that can just be removed without warning is just a tad insane ;) . Users will just love the fallout that ensues from that little trick.

It would be silly to not make use of both SD card slots on the Pandora. One for removable media (mp3s, etc) and one for more "stable" apps that you won't remove often.

Just make an ext2 partition on one SD card, then edit your /etc/fstab file to add an union mount over your root (or /usr:/var:/etc or something) et voilà, "the NAND is extended by the SD card" so that everything you write to it gets stored on the SD card. And, when you remove the SD card, you will be on factory settings again.

Hi ,i have downloaded some software from http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=epdfview ,and when i choose the version to download i choose armv7a (base) is this correct ,and once i have downloaded the software i choose open with OPKG to begine installing is this right ? ,also do the files i download need to be on nand and also install to nand ,i am asking as i want to download a pdf reader and gimp.

I also wanted to try firefox ,but really wanted to know if there is any flashplayer plugins that would work with the firefox for angstrom.

thanks

paddy said:
Hi ,i have downloaded some software from http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=epdfview ,and when i choose the version to download i choose armv7a (base) is this correct ,and once i have downloaded the software i choose open with OPKG to begine installing is this right ? ,also do the files i download need to be on nand and also install to nand ,i am asking as i want to download a pdf reader and gimp.

thanks

Simply connect to WiFi and type
opkg update
opkg install epdfview

Be sure to not fill up your NAND though! This is NOT recommended! (it also wears out the NAND over time)

Last edited:
Ed do you mean type this into the terminal ?
Could not create lock file permision denied ,is what i get in the terminal.
Sorry needed to sudo first ,thanks Ed
:lol:
Sorry again ,could i have the command for gimp ,please :D
and can i do this but just use the correct filename within the repo ?

ok ,i got gimp ,thanks very much this is great.

I got pdf working gimp not ,i used the same command but just put gimp at the end ,could this be the wrong ver ,not armv7a ? sorry im all new to this ,usualy doing this on ubuntu only ,the reason i ask is that on the angstrom repo there are many versions for angstrom and i take it i need armv7a or do i need to add the lbs as well ?

One other important thing ,how do i remove the software so i can keep nand space free ?

sudo opkg remove gimp seems to work ,learning .

paddy said:
..... install stuff problems .....
This guy obviously needs synaptic working (or any other GUI package manager). Does angstrom have something like that? I never used angstrom, I was spoiled by the comfortability of debian.

I am getting some stuff working and other programs like totem download and give an error when installing ,not sure if it's a space issue or not ,gimp installed but didn't work then i removed it and tried to install the latest stable release but it would not install after download.

After i removed the non working software i then downloaded the full gnome games package and it works perfectly so i really need the correct gimp install and i would love to see totem player with youtube plugin support.

EvilDragon said:
opkg update
opkg install epdfview
:eek:
:(
You are aware that the repo data is an additional 30 or 40 megs, correct? For that cost, you could have installed all kinds of things into the NAND instead.

Pandora:~$ sudo opkg install xscreensaver-hack-galaxy 5.07-r2.1
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package xscreensaver-hack-galaxy.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package 5.07-r2.1.
Pandora:~$

I seem to get this when installing most things , i also tried installing the entire screensaver package and tried for gnome screensaver pkg but can"t do becase it requires opgl libs.

would still love to know how to get a simple paint program on the pandora tried mtpaint,no go.

EvilDragon said:
paddy said:

thanks

opkg update
opkg install epdfview

Be sure to not fill up your NAND though! This is NOT recommended! (it also wears out the NAND over time)

Pardon me, ED, but since it's obviously better to leave the internal NAND alone most of the time, how might one go about changing the install directory to another source, such as an SD card or an external hard drive? Can the default path be changed as well? Obviously the Pandora PND system is very convenient for the programs it is available for, but I'm also probably going to want things more easily acquired via compiling source or downloading from a normal repository when my Pandora arrives (such as kTechLab and Octave, for example). At least until someone with more skills than I do ports them. Forgive me if this is a noobish question; I'm still pretty new to Linux for the most part. Thanks in advance.

Back