Pandora 2 Features POLL

What CPU architecture do you want to see in the Pandora 2?

• Total voters

Bumps on the 'F' and 'J' keys to facilitate touch typing.

Some means of attaching a car mount.

I'd like OPt to pay attention to the results of this poll.

A community-driven project, with community devs and word-of-mouth advertising relies on happy fanboys (or fangirls)

Even from a cold-hearted business perspective, ignoring the current Pandora customer base would be stupid.

Having said that, ED's plans seem right in-line with this community, and Craig appears to be on the verge of bankruptcy. FSM knows what the future holds for this project <_<

Speaking of community. The community could probably solve the problem and save the project if it really wanted to. Or, we could continue to argue about things not set in stone, and watch it flush down the drain through inaction.

The P1 was used for:

- emulating gaming consoles

- linux (inc. music/browsing)

I think all features that support those two should be required, other features should be optional.

For example, the gyro is used in games so it should be there.

A webcam is sometimes but mostly not used in games, so it's optional (via usb).

I think we must have all/most controls the emulated systems have. So 4 shoulder buttons, 2 pressure sensitive. (ps2/dreamcast)

Microphone might be cheap to add, otherwise can be optional (either via usb headset, or microphone line-in).

Docking connector, with docking station. Station would add I/O pins for hacking and to connect actual old hardware/controllers for example.

hdmi out, for playing on the tv. Great icw. with bluetooth controllers, icontrolpad for example.

The P1 was used for:

I think all features that support those two should be required, other features should be optional.

So you are removing the cameras because of cost, space, battery...? I'm curious why you feel them so superfluous.

I think we must have all/most controls the emulated systems have. So 4 shoulder buttons, 2 pressure sensitive. (ps2/dreamcast)

Microphone might be cheap to add, otherwise can be optional (either via usb headset, or microphone line-in).

Docking connector, with docking station. Station would add I/O pins for hacking and to connect actual old hardware/controllers for example.

hdmi out, for playing on the tv. Great icw. with bluetooth controllers, icontrolpad for example.

I think it best if we stay away from proprietary docking stations, but it would be nice to have an official dock that has ports for controlers and what not that attaches via USB

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not make a proprietary port that connects to a optional ( maybe for the price of 10 euros ... ) cable that has multiple custmizable ports for plugging in ... Proprietary ports :)

Why not make a proprietary port that connects to a optional ( maybe for the price of 10 euros ... ) cable that has multiple custmizable ports for plugging in ... Proprietary ports :)/>

This additional attachment can be proprietary, but the actual Pandora should keep to industry standards (if not open source)

The P1 was used for:

So you are removing the cameras because of cost, space, battery...? I'm curious why you feel them so superfluous.

For me it is really important to keep the purpose of the device in mind.

The main purpose for me of the pandora is/was retro-gaming.

So with that in mind a webcam would make no sense. Even if it was cheap, small and cost almost no battery.

Also the team has to spend time integrating this functionality into the device (being software/hardware-wise) and this also costs time + money.

This money, space, weight and battery drain could be spend on something related to actual requested subjects like enhancing gaming functionality or lowering costs or a faster production time of the device.

In the end the people that design the new device should be able to know if these parts have added value or not, I couldn't tell before I've seen the device and know the purpose.

For me it is really important to keep the purpose of the device in mind. The main purpose for me of the pandora is/was retro-gaming.
For me, the main purpose is a palmtop computer.

So far the only game I've played on my is Spider 3 decks (part of Aisleriot) which I need my bifocals to be able to tell the clubs from the spades.

I use it so far, mostly for web browsing, but I'd like to start using it as a calculator (and will as soon as a RPN calculator is available for it), and a display for a bluetooth GPS I don't yet have (the i-blue 850 was discontinued and became unavailable just before my Pandora arrived :-( ).

as soon as a RPN calculator is available for it)
x48 is available on the app store :)

---

Proprietary connectors should be avoided at all costs.

The current TV-out situation should not be repeated.

I think USB, HDMI, USBotg and so solderpads on the pcb will do the job nicely...

as soon as a RPN calculator is available for it)
x48 is available on the app store :)

---

Proprietary connectors should be avoided at all costs.

The current TV-out situation should not be repeated.

I think USB, HDMI, USBotg and so solderpads on the pcb will do the job nicely...

2X on X48 - and it's a GOOD one. Having an HP 48x on my Pandora is marvelous.

2X on NO proprietary or odd-ball ports. If I can't buy a $10 cable that fits from monoprice, then you're using something too 'out there'.

Back