PanDebian

Hi!

I installed Pandebian squeeze several times without any problems. It's a really great addition to Angstrom on the Pandora!

Some time ago I wanted to try wheezy, but it aborts after a hour the installation every time with "failed to create /var/run ..." (can't rembember exactly).

Sorry, I'm a linux noob, did I have done anything wrong or is there a special trick to get the wheezy installation working?

At the beginning everything runs fine:

20130309_002.jpg

But then I get this message:

20130309_003.jpg

I'm running the latest SZ 1.53 on a Rebirth Pandora. I've also tried different SD-cards... always the same result.

How did you guys install pandebian wheezy?

This PND is meant for people that don't want to mess with formating and bunzip/untaring a rootfs image and such.. the PND you click it and it runs.
Or for people who want a Debian setup that is transferable.   Now, if I upgrade Zaxxon or move to a larger SD... I just copy the loop file over and have Debian where I left it!

I would love to increase the size though. The loop file is max at about 4GB and it would be neat to have a second loop file for /home. Is this possible? How?

I found that vlc plays mp4s jittery in SZ1.5 using the vlc 1.7 pnd. But the PanDebian setup is smooth and faster. I was surprised.

^ you don't need to shout.

Having played with this before I'd still like a proper debian install for the pandora (should really work on that again ;) ).

also,  is there A WAY to get the DEBIAN menu to show up? And how to edit other entries. I tried the "Main Menu" Editor and Alacarte.

I have programs which install from Synaptic and ether show in the menu OTHERS or not at all because they went into the Menu DEBIAN and that is invisible.

attachicon.gif
20130309_002.jpg

attachicon.gif
20130309_003.jpg

I'm running the latest SZ 1.53 on a Rebirth Pandora. I've also tried different SD-cards... always the same result.

FWIW, I just installed PanDebian and selected wheezy....but I noticed that when installer got part about installing packages, it showed it was using squeeze repos....

So, I assume that the open to install wheezy, really isn't working yet....

When I looked at Gregor's PanDebian blog, it notes that he added wheezy as an option, but it was untested.....so, think we've now tested it and it does not work....

Going to try upgrading to wheezy manually and see what happens...

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep clicking the Synaptic package manager and it won't start up, I wish to  install  openoffice, in fact if I did not find that this device could run openoffice, I would have never wanted it.

Please lend a helping hand XD

Synaptik doesn't run from the menu, it's a bug in Pandebian. Start a Pandebian shell and use the command line to start synaptik from here.

Is there a reason you need OpenOffice? Because we've got a native Libreoffice port.

attachicon.gif
20130309_002.jpg

attachicon.gif
20130309_003.jpg

FWIW, I just installed PanDebian and selected wheezy....but I noticed that when installer got part about installing packages, it showed it was using squeeze repos....

So, I assume that the open to install wheezy, really isn't working yet....

When I looked at Gregor's PanDebian blog, it notes that he added wheezy as an option, but it was untested.....so, think we've now tested it and it does not work....

Going to try upgrading to wheezy manually and see what happens...

;)

Aha! Thanks for this post - I also tried to install Wheezy fairly recently and left Pandora installing several attempts with no success - I was ready to pull my hair out.

I'll give this another try with Squeeze!

Well I tried again but with Squeeze and it installed correctly!

First thing I tried was installing Osmo and... it works, no segfaults! So now I finally have an awesome PIM working on Pandora... but I used a Spare SD and I really want Osmo on my main SD!

I'm also going to try and install Steam Linux using Linuxbochs WINE/Qemu/LibGL stuff... I have a feeling I may be able to install the deb file and dependencies will be pulled in... hopefully.

I successfully updated from squeeze to wheezy with a similar method as shown on this page.. http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-debian-squeeze-to-wheezy

The source list file shown has a little different look then the one shown, but you basically just need to swap squeeze with wheezy, run the update commands shown and that's it.

Folks, I assume this project is long dead. After trying Pandian and finding it not working and defunct, I am trying here. Unfortunately, no much in terms of instructions. I've attempted to install sid, wheezy and squeeze, each one fails. Can this work and be useful?

I can try to help. Squeeze is definitely the way to go. Installing it has worked for myself and at least one other recently. I also recommend using a stronger internet connection than just the internal wifi. A usb-ethernet adaptor is what I used. Besides that just run the installer and let it sit for a looong time. There is one point where you need to ctrl-c out of the installer as well. Let me know as much detail as you can about your setup: firmware, filesystem, loopback or direct install...

Edit: oh and if you use the internal but trust your connection, just run it a few times for squeeze until it goes without errors. It took a couple tries for it to work on my unit, it worked more often over ethernet, and no versions but squeeze ever worked for me.

OK. I am running the latest SZ. The card where I am putting the loopback file is a 64GB card with FAT. I hit ctrl-c when it said the base system was installed and it seemed to be stuck. The installation completed, but it won't seem to run. I have the icon on the desktop and neither it or System>Pandebian Pandebian will make it go.

Interesting. Do you have the pndrun log that you can post? Also how are you naming this FAT card?

Back