Paint

bananajamslam

Still Fresh
I have a question about the paint that I was hoping someone could answer. (If this has already been answered I apoligize for staarting a new topic.)

Hearing that paint will be applied to all the pandoras got me worried. As most of you already know, the Chinese have a bad habit of using lead based paints and I would really prefer to not have to thouroughly wash my hands after touching this thing. Especially since we all know there is going to be at least one incedent where we will be eating at the same time as we're using this.

I believe that this is a fairly important issue that the OP team has perhaps, overlooked.

If they were using a lead-based paint they certainly would not admit as much.

Well when you get it...just get your little brother to lick it and wait a week.

I'm at work, so I really have no time.. But people should educate themselves before jumping to conclusions.

"Inorganic lead is the form of lead used in lead-based paints. It is commonly encountered in harmful levels in and around houses that were painted with lead-based paints. Unlike organic lead, it may not be absorbed through the skin, but can enter the body in high amounts through ingestion or inhalation."

and since there are 50 thousand topics on this. I will post in one of the others as well.

And perhaps you should take a leaf out of your own book before trying to educate people :p

It takes only a papercut and the paint to flake for lead based paint to become hazardous. The above is only true if the paint is intact (not worn or flaking) and if the skin is completely intact (those papercuts could be a lot more worrying!) Then touching AND breathing anywhere near the device become issues. Specially on a console thats paint will wear on the corners over time much, like the DS

barnesy said:
And that's only if this talk about lead paint is based on anything more than xenophobic mistrust.
Fifty-gazillion plastic toys and widgets leave china every day, but still people hear "China" and "Paint" and assume that there's a high risk of getting that lead paint they heard about on the news.

Quick Tip : When you hear about a manufacturing scandal, why is the culprit always Chinese? Because that's where manufacturing happens! You never hear about American manufacturing (non-car) scandals, because so little is still made here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not xenophobic. The same way you don't sell to a nigerian on ebay is the same way you don't trust a country that is third world and most of it's employees are under 10.

It is historic, documented fact that the chinese government operates in a way that violates it's own peoples human rights in a way that most people living in a democracy consider to both abhorrent and wrong. It's documented fact that the chinese will sacrifice safety of their own people for profit margins.

Milk manufacturers kill a load of babies
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7843972.stm

Milk manufacturers accept tainted milk after the 2008 scandal as debt money..
http://www.tcetoday.com/tcetoday/newsdetail.aspx?nid=12499

Faulty vaccines kill a load of children
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=50926

Flour makes stick a load of quicklime in flour, kill a load of children
http://www.tcetoday.com/tcetoday/NewsDetail.aspx?nid=12668

So you see, it's not really xenophobic to be sceptical of a country that routinely kills children through incompetance and profit margins on such a frequent basis the world isn't really shocked anymore.

zRichi said:
It's not xenophobic. The same way you don't sell to a nigerian on ebay is the same way you don't trust a country that is third world and most of it's employees are under 10.

False comparison. The vast majority of ebay users from Nigera are con artists, but the vast majority of stuff from china is entirely cool.

Edit : When I say "entirely cool". I mean cool for us. It may suck badly for the folk working the factories. (Especially less technical stuff like clothing.) ...but I didn't consider that because no one seems to be worried about the work conditions in the Pandora factory.

It's a matter of keeping a sense of proportion. Admittedly that's difficult to get from The News. This is the same urge that makes some people horrified if a stranger happens to say "Good morning" to their child. They heard about a child molester on the news, but the news didn't tell them how vanishingly rare child molesters are.

Nope nothing to do with that.

It's to do with how the chinese do business.

For instance a breat enlargment treatment process by a company out there that left 300,000 women with painful, disfigured breasts got shut down. What did this company own in addition to a Pharma company? a chain of hospitals.

In America or Europe, that sh/t would not happen. It's nothing to do with xenophobia. It's to do with a solid reputation of lax government control. For instance, that drug treatment process was given the ok by government officials. But hey, whatever makes a profit margin right?

My point in case you missed it, is that just because something is on the news does not mean that it's likely to happen to you.

China produces a gazillion things, and most of it is perfectly fine.

Sure, sometimes automobiles crash, sometimes lightning strikes, and sometimes dangerous goods get imported. But just because you hear someone is driving, walking in the rain, or buying something, does not make it likely that any of those things will happen.

I am not denying that buying goods from china increases the odds that the manufacturer has taken some dangerous shortcut, I'm just saying that even so, those odds are still very small.

For instance, that drug treatment process was given the ok by government officials.
Anecdotes are not the same as data. I could say the same about thalidomide.
Besides, you chose an unfortunate example. There have been loads of scandals about unsafe breast implants here in USA.

if there's too much lead in the paint then the WiFi won't work <_<

seriously, this firm is supposed to make components for some big companies, they aren't gonna flush that down the pan by supplying products with poisonous coatings, good way to go bust, also, you don't mention that the people who contaminated the babies milk to make a quick buck got fired by the Chinese government, literaly!, they stood em in front of a wall and shot em :eek: (they do the same with drug dealers etc, very zero tolerance when they do catch someone in Communist China)

two shot and CEO jailed for life

as well as executing the head of the Chinese food and drug safety administration

looks really happy about it too

we have had scandals just as bad here in the West or committed by western companies in third world countries, no need to assume it's a purely Chinese problem, we have had ethelene glycol based drinks killing people, companies using condemned meat for burgers (that's a nice tumour and cyst burger you have there :( ), infected chicken meat sold for production, radioactive lamb sold from areas affected by Chernobyl, at least one huge pesticide contamination cover up and one pollution cover up (sulphur dioxide causing deaths in vulnerable people), and a soft drinks company that extracted so much ground water to make their product that they destroyed the surrounding villages who couldn't go as deep to get water (Africa), etc,etc most of those people just paid fines or went bust, no executions, mores the pity.

hobbyman II said:
if there's too much lead in the paint then the WiFi won't work <_<

seriously, this firm is supposed to make components for some big companies, they aren't gonna flush that down the pan by supplying products with poisonous coatings, good way to go bust, also, you don't mention that the people who contaminated the babies milk to make a quick buck got fired by the Chinese government, literaly!, they stood em in front of a wall and shot em :eek: (they do the same with drug dealers etc, very zero tolerance when they do catch someone in Communist China)

two shot and CEO jailed for life
_42484546_zheng203ap.jpg

as well as executing the head of the Chinese food and drug safety administration

looks really happy about it too

we have had scandals just as bad here in the West or committed by western companies in third world countries, no need to assume it's a purely Chinese problem, we have had ethelene glycol based drinks killing people, companies using condemned meat for burgers (that's a nice tumour and cyst burger you have there :( ), infected chicken meat sold for production, radioactive lamb sold from areas affected by Chernobyl, at least one huge pesticide contamination cover up and one pollution cover up (sulphur dioxide causing deaths in vulnerable people), and a soft drinks company that extracted so much ground water to make their product that they destroyed the surrounding villages who couldn't go as deep to get water (Africa), etc,etc most of those people just paid fines or went bust, no executions, mores the pity.

bd3138f3-0cf9-4006-a36e-78a7dc658430.h2.jpg

Those men in China were executed for murder. They killed those kids. Here, a company can destroy a village and get off with a slap on the wrist.

Attachments

• _42484546_zheng203ap.jpg
    _42484546_zheng203ap.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 316
  • bd3138f3-0cf9-4006-a36e-78a7dc658430.h2.jpg
    bd3138f3-0cf9-4006-a36e-78a7dc658430.h2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 96
zRichi said:
And perhaps you should take a leaf out of your own book before trying to educate people :p
My mouse has paint on it, and after 6 years of of having my hand on it you can clearly see my handprint on it. Perhaps if it was lead based paint and I did have a cut on my hand, I would have gotton sick.

We don't know at all if the chinese factory uses or plans to use lead based paint on these things, but I would put my money on no. Should people be concerned? Probably not until we have more details.

hobbyman II said:
also, you don't mention that the people who contaminated the babies milk to make a quick buck got fired by the Chinese government, literaly!, they stood em in front of a wall and shot em :eek: (they do the same with drug dealers etc, very zero tolerance when they do catch someone in Communist China)

That'll learn 'em...

Although i'm not sure what use it would be if they were dead...

Back