Painting/Touch-up options for Silver Cases

Franko

Hi Ed.  I have a potentially silly question.  Yes, I know that if the OP Team had a nickel for everytime that I asked one of those, all of the preorders would have been funded by now.  :rolleyes:  

...but anyway, here goes:  Can I purchase the EXACT color of paint from DragonBox or Ithic.com at some point?  Some of the paint on the bottom corners are starting to show the black casing underneath, which is inevitable the more that I play around with this great device.  I think that you said a Chinese company painted it "gunmetal" or what they thought was "gunmetal".  I wonder if you ever got some of this paint from the company that you'd be willing to resell to us Pandora users?

Or am I better off just taking my Pandora to a paint shop so that a color expert can just "eyeball" and custom-mix me up a small batch?  Maybe I'm putting too much thought into all of this, but maybe the OP Team could make some additional money by selling small paint touch-up kits in small (1-2 oz) glass bottles with the brush/screwcap.  Just curious - thanks!

yeah the paint wears off. its ever so noticeable to begin with. oh well what the heck.

Get some dulux paint and a huge flippin brush and erm ah paint it with that...Highly recommended course of action...not!!!

@ParadisoShlee : I also like the blue (and gold) one that ED showed off, but most recent Pandora purchasers have the silver paint job.

I guess as a follow-up question, I'd like to ask if the plastic itself could be made as a solid color other than black?  Not now, but as a future option if more P1 cases need to be made using the same moulds, or when the OP Team wants to go forward with a "P2"...

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining - I love my Pandora.  It has fulfilled if not surpassed all of my expectations.  I knew that this might become a slight issue in the future and it in no way inhibits it's functionality, nor did it dissuade me from purchasing the unit.  I'm merely curious as to what my options might be or what you would recommend.  If I don't get a response, then I won't be offended - I know that you're incredibly busy.  Thanks for your time, ED.

Well, the main reason we have painted cases is because the chinese factory was not able to make the plastic a "solid color".

There are discolored marks everywhere, so they chose to paint the case, to hide it.

Now I guess that, if ED was able to find a german factory as cheap as the chinese one and get back the moulds… Then, they would probably use a better plastic that don't loose its color when moulded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the main reason we have painted cases is because the chinese factory was not able to make the plastic a "solid color".

There are discolored marks everywhere, so they chose to paint the case, to hide it.

Now I guess that, if ED was able to find a german factory as cheap as the chinese one and get back the moulds… Then, they would probably use a better plastic that don't loose its color when moulded.
Interesting.  I remember a little bit about that, but couldn't remember the specifics.  I wasn't sure if it was the inferior plastic that the factory was using or whether it had something to do with the quality of the molds or what the crux of the problem was.  I remember someone suggesting a "bakelite" type of look would be kind of cool and would render the discolorations a non-factor.  I guess that I still don't know the whole story.  I'm guessing If ED can't get the moulds back from the plant in China, then he's probably forced to use them as the sole (case) supplier.

Most home improvement shops in my country have a nifty little machine that you show your color to and it will tell you how to mix a color exactly like it.

I take from this that someone likes the silver colour. Well, its one that wears down, and thats not viable, nor is selling extra touch-up paint.

You have worked hard for those wear-marks, and personally i think thats cool on a device.

If you repaint it i guess primer is out of the question due to final thickness, but plastic lacquer on spray-can does not wear off. Get the automotive kind, its indestructible.

Any efforts to make a pandora case with a 3d printer? Does anyone have CAD files for the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back