Own A Ds? Do You Like?

The FPS controls on the DS are excellent.

With great controls and the ability to link 16 machines,
I could see harder core gamers getting DS's for FPS fight-outs.

Halo on the DS? maybe...
M$ would like to kick SONY in the crotch every chance they get...

Microsoft already signed on the Gizmondo, and a HALO FPS game is suppose to happen on it
its got small screen too tho...
If they make ONE HELL OF A FPS for the DS that has 16 peoples, headesets, lots of guns, many big levels and lots of game modes that also looks good, then Ill get a DS
sorry, size does matter for me

~Octavious

has anyone got a scratch on their DS? I have read about them and am worried to use mine when i get it. My scratch protectors won't come tile liksang stock them and then i have to wait for them to be shipped.

This is probably a better link tbh:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/564/564070p1.html

edit: you may want to look at this:
http://nintendo.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/7768/
"Also cool is the system's durability. I really made sure to press down hard with the stylus to see if I could scratch the screen, and while it's prone to smudges, any marks caused by that little piece of plastic are temporary. With a sweep of my thumb, they disappeared!"

http://www.cv-games.com/news_view.asp?articleID=31188
"The DS comes with a stylus to be used with the bottom screen which is touch sensitive. Don't worry, the screen has a durable scratch resistant film over it for protection. It remains to be seen how long the screen will last..."

Microsoft already signed on the Gizmondo, and a HALO FPS game is suppose to happen on it
its got small screen too tho...
If they make ONE HELL OF A FPS for the DS that has 16 peoples, headesets, lots of guns, many big levels and lots of game modes that also looks good, then Ill get a DS
sorry, size does matter for me

~Octavious

But is there a game like you described planned for the Psp? Personally I'm trying not to make any conclusions untill the Psp is out. Tbh the pictochat proggy is pretty cool, and the controls for Metroid were slick as hell. I had an idea: Use the Ds as a controler for the cube or the next gen ninty system. It works much better than the analog stick for Fps games.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mate got his DS, I've played on it for about an hour or so and then some more at random intervals inbetween.

Having being spoiled by the likes of the GP32, the screen size is annoying. The two screens dont make up for this as the second screen is redundant in a lot of cases.

I am a big fan of folding designs, I just love the way once you done, you close it and that's it - safe and tidy. However, I must say the DS is much thicker than what I expected. A little toO bulky.

Mario is superb. Of course it is, it's a great game. The pad seems a little fidly with it at first but you get used to it. As a huge supporteR of d-pads insteAd of analog sticks I am pleased that Nintendo took this route - but, I can see the advantages of having a analog stick available (like on the PSP), as I do use them for racing games and the occasional first person shooter or 3d rpg (Fable etc).

Metroid is sh!te though. It looks like sh!te and the 'suggested control' method is crap. The touch screen is generally good, but when playing a game that requirse other button presses, it's just not feasible.

I've heard a lot of people say "it's inNovative, it's good". Because it's innovative, doesn't mean it's good. Look at Donkey Kong Bonga, I mean it's ok with your mates for a little bit but it's crap really - as was things like Virtual Boy etc. The two screens seem nothing more than a gimmick at the moment - again, one huge screen (like the GP32 would be much better).

Overall, yeah, it's ok. But with the PSP around the corner, I'm glad it was mate who bought the DS and me who is waiting for the PSP.

Dont know about you, but I rarely go on journeys that last over 2 Hours.

All the time, m8... If the PSP REALLY does have a batter life of 2hrs for heavy use then it's next to useless. WTF is the point of a handheld console that you have to plug into the mains, I mean fuck you might as well get an actual ps2 instead...

excuse me,but wasn't the whole 2 hour battery lifetime thng with the psp just early,EARLY speculation?i've read quite different news

i would never get the psps just because of the SERIOUS battery issues.

4-6 hours normal use, 2hours heavy use (heavy 3d games, movies)

and that is offical qoutes not propaganda.

thanks for that but what about the trip back.....aha! check, mate.

i can just see it now, "hmm what aeris doing, huh whats that thing from the sky, wait, whats happening, OH NOES! the batteries are failing! and i never saved! aieeee!

i would never get the psps just because of the SERIOUS battery issues.

4-6 hours normal use, 2hours heavy use (heavy 3d games, movies)

and that is offical qoutes not propaganda.

thanks for that but what about the trip back.....aha! check, mate.

i can just see it now, "hmm what aeris doing, huh whats that thing from the sky, wait, whats happening, OH NOES! the batteries are failing! and i never saved! aieeee!

Right, if you're going somewhere that takes 4 hours to get there and 4 hours to come back, the averge person will be staying overnight in between that journey in some kind of establishment, which will no doubr have plugs to charge your PSP for 8 hour round trip.

Even then I doubt you'll play it for 4 hours straight at a time, but you seem content in taking it to the extreme, so failing the above, buy a book. May I suggest Moby Dick?

What it comes down ti is some people just dont want to have to spend the time specifically recharging it after every use. They like to have some battery left for later on so that they dont have to keep remembering to do it.

Also there are time when even staying over night you cant really recharge things. I brought my laptop with me to a convention I went to with friends. Between the extra TV, the PS2, the various cellphones and the hotel lamps there wasnt any place for me to plug in my computer when the battery died.

Most(an I do stress most) people don't fill up every power outlet in a hotel room they are staying in. It would be handy if the ds had a cradle that you could just put the ds in. That way it would always be recharging, and you wouldn't lose it.

Back