Overclocking

dilawar987

Still Fresh
hi,
can someone explain this in detail as i have looked it up and haven't received clear answer.
basically does overcloocking harm gp2x f200.

if yes what way.

what would be reccommed overclocking, i.e 220, 240 or 260 which will lessen damage.
ngeo requires alot of overlclocking. is it safe to use as i don't want it to damage gp.

i heard that wires other inside stuff could be damaged, is this true.

so a clear cut answer would be appreciated as there are different opinions on the net.

Thanks, Any help will be appreciated.

I played through Final Fantasy I Advance for 20 hours on 269mhz with ramhack enabled - no harm at all

Software overclocking won't do any harm at all, the worst that'll happen is that your GP2X will crash. Switch it off and back on again and it'll be fine :)

hi

thanks for the replay.

hi can you tell me why it won't damage the gp2x. i read alot about why overclocking will damage cpu/hardware. but can you tell me why it wouldn't damage gp2x, why the difference.

thanks.

Damage when overclocking desktop CPUs usually occurs when people volt-mod (increase the voltage supplied to the CPU) to get higher clock speeds - software overclocking on the GP2X doesn't increase the voltage at all. Also temperature comes into play on x86 processors, which isn't really an issue for ARM processors like the ones in the GP2X.

dilawar said:
i read alot about why overclocking will damage cpu/hardware. but can you tell me why it wouldn't damage gp2x
You mean overclocking your desktop PC could damage the cpu. Actually, overclocking damages desktop PCs by means of overheating them. The Gp2x has an ARM cpu. It was designed with little power consumption in mind. Overclocking the Gp2x cpu will make the system faster and more unstable, but it is not dangerous at all. Little consumption means less temperature, and long before overheating the cpu stops working (just restart the Gp2x)

Besides "overclocking" is not well applied on Gp2x. The "standard" frequency is 200MHz, but the cpu maker lists higher supported frequencies http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM920T.html

And if you do not trust on technical details, everybody around here overclocked their Gp2x for years without a single overheating reported :D

In the other hand, Neogeo games need lots of overclocking in Mame, much less in FBA and no overclocking at all in Gngeo. Try Gngeo if you are (unnecessary) worried about overclocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
dilawar, there is a single reason to not overclock your Gp2x. Higher frequencies need more battery, more frequent recharges and then shorter battery life.

Use the minimum clock frequency that runs your preferred games ok and you'll save batteries. Don't worry too much, though: batteries are cheap.

juanvvc said:
You mean overclocking your desktop PC could damage the cpu. Actually, overclocking damages desktop PCs by means of overheating them.
Actually, that only applies to older CPU's. Modern CPU's have thermal throttling, so they simply slow down when they get too hot. If slowing down doesn't reduce the temperature enough, they simply halt completely, effectively crashing the PC.

Maybe the problem would be if it crashes while saving, maybe corrupting the filesystem?
Does the gp2x writes to the NAND filesystem, like for saving log files? Could a gp2x crash corrupt the NAND?

Didn't know that overclocking didn't damage the gp2x, I was always afraid of doing it, not any more! :)

Squidge said:
juanvvc said:
You mean overclocking your desktop PC could damage the cpu. Actually, overclocking damages desktop PCs by means of overheating them.
Actually, that only applies to older CPU's. Modern CPU's have thermal throttling, so they simply slow down when they get too hot. If slowing down doesn't reduce the temperature enough, they simply halt completely, effectively crashing the PC.

I fried one of my PC's a couple of years ago, a 3Ghz PC, by overclocking the processor. It worked for an hour or so then died.

Hardly anything even writes to the NAND unless its stored on the NAND. So unless you're updating the firmware while overclocking (which would be nearly impossible to do...you'd have to hack the firmware to make it do that), you don't need to worry about corrupting the NAND.

It's a good idea to back up your SDs every once in a while, because even under normal conditions the FAT32 filesystem isn't very fault tolerant or reliable.

Back