Overclocking Record

Pleng

I think I may have just got my hands on the *least* overclocable GP2X Mk II. I've seed reports on here of units which will happily clock 280Mhz but mine crashes both SquidgeSNES and UAE4ALL at anything above 225 :( The unit was even SOLD to me as a 240Mhz model (which is kind of naughty from the reseller but I'd done my reasearch on here before buying so I knew I was essentially a 200Mhz machine).

Still... 225 just about makes Mario Kart playable on the 50cc cup... not sure I'm brave enough to try out the 100 just yet! And SuperFrog is playable so on the whole I'm happy!

DTH posted on Dec 29 2006 at 08:00 PM said:
That's sad,
Just ask for a refund

It's a fine idea... but that means sending it back and having to be without it for a certain period of time. I fear I may well be too addicted already to do that!

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of batteries and capacity are you using?
i think DaveC has the record for worst clocked gp2x btw

I'm using Enegiser Lithium 2020 right now... and they've lasted a good 2 or 3 hours of playing without running out.

I've got some 2700s which came with the unit but they're still charging right now. Is it possible that the different batteries will imporve the clock speed?

Well not to encourage you to give up hope but...

Atleast you will get better battery life then those of us tempted to overclock :)

Doesn't the Payback demo overclock to 240MHz? Maybe this is why the chips are rated 200, not 240 :)

Pleng posted on Dec 29 2006 at 07:35 PM said:
I think I may have just got my hands on the *least* overclocable GP2X Mk II. I've seed reports on here of units which will happily clock 280Mhz but mine crashes both SquidgeSNES and UAE4ALL at anything above 225 :( The unit was even SOLD to me as a 240Mhz model (which is kind of naughty from the reseller but I'd done my reasearch on here before buying so I knew I was essentially a 200Mhz machine).

Still... 225 just about makes Mario Kart playable on the 50cc cup... not sure I'm brave enough to try out the 100 just yet! And SuperFrog is playable so on the whole I'm happy!

my GP32 overclocked higher then your GP2X :p

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why the specs shouldn't be falsified as '240 MHz'. The processors are rated at 200 MHz most of the time (occasionally MagicEyes sells '266 MHz' parts) but a blanket specification of 240 is completely inaccurate.

Back