Overclocking questions

Disco Devil

Still Fresh
Thanks to everyone that responded to my first post,

I've been ploughing through a multitude of threads/guides over the last couple of days, and have found most to be very useful i would particularly like to thank Prometheus (your tutorials & informative posts have helped a lot)

On to my question, it seems like many if not all of the things i will be using my Pandora for will require some considerable degree of overclocking.

Will i need to enable/disable this each time i use the relevant app/emulator, if so can it be automated, & could the Pandora be in a permanently overclocked state without affecting the battery life or the units lifespan too dramatically? (i haven't yet received my unit)

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
On to the main point, it seems like many if not all of the things i will be using my Pandora for will require some considerable degree of overclocking.

Will i need to enable/disable this each time i use the relevant app/emulator, if so can it be automated, & could the Pandora be in a permanently overclocked state without affecting the battery life or the units lifespan too dramatically?

I have no idea if you need to reset the OC level each time you boot the system, though I would imagine not. Overclocking should not reduce the lifespan of your unit, however the overvolting that is necessary in order to reach the high speeds will. How much it decreases by will be determined by the Operating Point you use.

For more info, check the Pandora wiki page on overclocking.

The PND system is capable of setting the clock rate when it runs and resetting it when it quits. Whatever application you are running, simply bundle it into a PND with the appropriate settings and it will do what you want.

Simply overclocking doesn't cause any noticeable battery drain: an idling Pandora at 800Mhz uses about the same energy as an idling Pandora at 100Mhz. When you start using it, however, you'll notice a small decline. Probably not enough to be concerned about, maybe 10%? That's what I've noticed anecdotaly.

Your clock speed has a setting it boots to on startup under cpu settings,the opp level needs to be changed manually every time,mine has been set to 900 for 3 months now without one issue. :D :)

you can, if you wish, in the settings menu, set the default clock speed to whatever you want. This will be effective from your next boot.

If you so wish you can even set it to use a higher opp as default. All this is up to you if you are not happy with changing clock speed manually.

Don't mean to ressurrect dead threads, but something very interesting just happened.

I was setting my Pandora to OPP5, and bumped up the MHz to 850. Then I reset just because. And when the system rebooted, my mouse pointer was gone. The arrow itself is just not present. I can see from rolling over the task bar where the pointer should be, but it has completely disappeared.

I set back the power settings to default, and I have tried adjusting the mouse properties, LCD, appearance, etc., but the pointer is just plain gone.

Fortunately the stylus works just fine. I'm thinking I may need to try a full flash reinstall.

Very strange...

Go to mouse settings and see what you have the cursor set as. There' the default and there's an invisible one. Make sure it's set to the visible one.

If you so wish you can even set it to use a higher opp as default.

Sorry to gravedig as well... but, ... what??!! :huh:

I've set my max allowed OPP level to 5. But as I spend most of my time at 600MHz, surely my OPP level is likewise sitting at 3? - Only jumping to 5 on the rare occasion I push it up to about 1000MHz?

Is there any way to test what OPP it's at? I'm curious to see at what MHz it jumps from 3 to 4, and 4 to 5. If that is in fact the case...

I've set my max allowed OPP level to 5. But as I spend most of my time at 600MHz, surely my OPP level is likewise sitting at 3? - Only jumping to 5 on the rare occasion I push it up to about 1000MHz?

The current OS configuration does not have the Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS) enabled... in other words, your running at OPP5 all the time and might as well be overclocked too...

The current OS configuration does not have the Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS) enabled... in other words, your running at OPP5 all the time and might as well be overclocked too...
Are you sure? I think I remember ED saying that it was dynamic depending on your current clock speed. I don't remember where he said that though. Is there anyway to test it?

Natro is correct. Whatever OPP5 you put as default is the OPP it'll stay on. Try it, give it a go.

Go to OPP settings, then set it at OPP5 and you'll notice that whatever you do, every time you go back to set it you'll find that it still remains on OPP5.

How can you tell what opp level is in use at any time? Is there a way to judge when it changes?(apart from the fact you can reach higher overclocking frequencies!)

Like I said as soon as you set your max default OPP it'll stay/remain like that. e.g. if I set the default OPP as OPP5 it means I'll have OPP5 forever until I decide to change it again in the settings.

Natro is correct. Whatever OPP5 you put as default is the OPP it'll stay on. Try it, give it a go.

Go to OPP settings, then set it at OPP5 and you'll notice that whatever you do, every time you go back to set it you'll find that it still remains on OPP5.

But it says 'Maximum ALLOWED OPP', not default OPP... Of course it'll stay at 5 in the settings. I'm sure it was stated to be dynamic in another thread - Otherwise I never would have set it to 5 in the first place.

That's not an indicator that it's constant since it is simply setting the max OPP value. As far as I know, there's no simple way to know what OPP it is actually using, and I can't remember if dynamic voltage is setup in the kernel or not.

Back