Overclocking Your Pandora

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Noone wants to read through a thread with that many pages, just to find an answer. So I will keep this thread updated with the latest answer to the below question.

Q. Does overclocking void your warranty?

A. It's yet to be decided by the OP team, but it's probable.

Please don't pollute this thread with the same bile, hate and arguments as the other one. This thread is merely to display the official verdict of the effect of overclocking on one's Pandora.

With all respect, and to Squidge, your post isn't the official answer.

OP has yet to tell us whether in their eyes overclocking will void warranty. That's the point of this thread.

quote from ED
Okay, now finally, my thoughts about overclocking / overvolting:

I don't think overclocking should void your warranty, as I don't think it will kill any CPU.
When it comes to OVERVOLTING, things are different. It can SURELY kill your CPU and it will be disabled in the kernel we provide.
It's basically like trying to use 12V instead of 5V in AC in. It will fry things and therefore, this should void warranty.

We need to investigate more about it, but that's my opinion.

Amigo Bandito Crujiente said:
So, we have an official 'maybe'.

How definitive.

To me it looked like an unofficial 'no' to warranty voiding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Craigix has already given the "official" answer in the other thread. If overclocking caused your unit to fail, then don't expect it to be replaced under warranty. If you overclocked and something else caused the unit to fail (Eg. bad manufacturing) then it will be replaced.

So overclocking doesn't invalidate your warranty, unless the overclocking actually caused the failure.

It's unfair to say "Overclock as much as you like, if it fails the unit will be replaced". Thats just asking for trouble.

Nova said:
With all respect, and to Squidge, your post isn't the official answer.

OP has yet to tell us whether in their eyes overclocking will void warranty. That's the point of this thread.

I posted enough evidence from official sources that says there is no damage from overclocking as long as you don't over volt, which common sense says overclocking shouldn't void the warranty because there won't be any damage, either accidental or not. It would be pretty screwed up if it did, who's idea was it to think that it voids it?

But, depending on the SoC, overclocking CAN damage the processor (without overvolting). We don't have enough experience of OMAP to determine if this is the case here. So we can't say "There will not be any damage", there MIGHT be damage. I have damaged ICs are work through overclocking. This damage could cause other parts of the Pandora to fail, depending on how its designed. Its unlikely, but it COULD happen. We should not say it's impossible.

Nobody, in there right mind, ever, will provide warranties for a device run out of spec. If you make a thread here telling everyone how high you managed to overclock, and later you try to rma your device due to memmory, och cpu defects, forget it, you wont get jack.
Will they still provide warranty on say dead pixels, USB that stops working, battery gone dead, or not charging? Most likely. Just as if you use the solder pads to hack in a few new shoulder buttons your not going to have any warranty on the case left, but with less then that they can say you butchered the device when doing your mods they will most likely honor the rest of the warranty's. I cant believe how this even became a big issue. It's over clocking. Nobody, ever, provided warranty for that. "At your own risk" means just that. Fry it, and your toast. That said, it is all up to your own choice when it all comes down to it really. With less then a chip that stores all clockchanges throughout the device lifetime they cant tell if it has been over or underclocked. I for one would recommend being honest. RMA'ing stuff you broke your self really isn't honest, and is actually illegal if you were to pursue it.
B!

Didn't the Pandora XML specification contain a specific property indicating the clock speed at which an application should be run? I imagine this will not allow a clock speed higher than 600mhz, but I wouldn't mind a warning along the lines of "This application works best at 700mhz, however overclocking may damage your device and this will not be covered under warrantee . Would you like to use 700mhz mode?"

I don't think it's really possible to offer a warrantee for overclocked units, it doesn't make sense if you think about it. Where do they draw the line? Is it covered at 601mhz, 720mhz, 800mhz? If it could be confidently covered at any of these speeds, then why even market the device as 600mhz. Think of it in terms of pre-overclocked CPUs which are sold by outlets such as the aptly named overclockers. They can warrantee the overclocked CPUs because they are confident that they are safely overclocked and will not fail. Therefore they can confidently sell them at a higher clock and a higher price.

If Pandora, a smaller company with fewer assets taking a much larger financial risk could confidently guarantee overclocking the Pandora to 720mhz, then that is, in effect, the same as marketing the device as a 720mhz console. Everyone then WILL overclock (perhaps not even of their own volition, but due to an emulator with built-in soft clocking), and any Pandora CPU that can fail under such conditions WILL fail. A Warrantee on overclocking is effectively *asking* for trouble.

From the other perspective, however, anyone who encounters a hardware failure following overclocking is probably going to lie and say they've not overclocked the unit, and who is ever going to know? Unless it's entirely evident from analysis of the hardware that overclocking caused the issue then it's difficult NOT to cover it under Warrantee. Whilst it makes sense, therefore, to cover overclocking under the Warrantee simply because it'll be claimed either way, again we hit the issue of covering it causing a greater number of people to attempt it, and yielding (if any at all) a greater number of failures.

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't! But clearly the logical choice is NOT to provide a Warrantee for overclocking, as any official encouragement or endorsement of overclocking without absolutely 100% confidence that it is safe, or at least a sufficiently high level of confidence that it becomes financially viable to offer it as a value-added feature (perhaps promoting more sales), is one big can of worms to open.

Mr B said:
Nobody, in there right mind, ever, will provide warranties for a device run out of spec.
Except videocard manufacturers, as long as you don't touch the voltage.

Q. Does overclocking void your warranty?

A. It's yet to be decided by the OP team, but it's probable.

:D Anyone who was reading the other thread will get a big grin out that.

Back