[Outdated!] PayPal buyers at the German GP2x Shop

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
javaJake: This is a very old thread. Orders are no longer being canceled. Please e-mail OpenPandora by replying to your order confirmation if you want to confirm your order status.

As most have seen, PayPal cancelled all PayPal orders at craig's store. Well, they haven't cancelled mine yet, but they froze my account. Which means: I can't receive any money, I can't send any money... but I can REFUND money (without ANY fees).

I didn't resolve the issue yet with PayPal - I have no idea if they will cancel all PayPal orders at my shop or not. I transferred MOST of the PayPal order money to my bank account already BEFORE they froze it... but they might transfer it back, I have no idea.

So, if you ordered at the gp2x Shop and want to get out of this PayPal mess:
If you want to change the payment method to something else (sending a cheque or transfer via normal bank account) and want your PayPal money refunded, send an eMail to shop_at_gp2x.de, including your order number and tell me you want to get your PayPal money back and change the payment method.
A bank transfer is FREE for people within the European Union!

And DON'T WORRY!
This WILL NOT TAKE you your first batch Pandora! The order itself will NOT be change - only the method you pay it.
Be sure we'll find a way to resolve this.

Re: PayPal buyers at the German GP2x Shop (shop.gp2x.de) READ!

EvilDragon said:
A bank transfer is FREE for people within the European Union!
i'm afraid thats not entirely accurate. i always thought so, too, when selling stuff on ebay, because bank transfers from germany to any other eu country are free due to eu regulations. so i assumed, that all bank transfers inside the eu are free.

but then i learned that they are actually pretty expensive from some countries like italy and france. that's because eu regulations don't say that transfers inside the eu must be free. they only say that international bank transfers inside the eu must not be any more expensive than national bank transfers. trouble is, in some countries (including france and italy) banks still take fees for national bank transfers. so the same fees apply for international transfers, too. :(

Can you check who`s money you already have so we won`t be in this mess with paypal. And ask paypal they won`t bitch about the money you withdrawed already.

So we first batch people don`t have to worry about youre paypal mess :p Or do we all need to get our money back and pay some other way?

disjfa said:
Can you check who`s money you already have so we won`t be in this mess with paypal.
i'm afraid paypal doesn't work that way. i think they could still cancel payments which ED has already transferred to his banking account - resulting in a negative balance on his paypal account.

Wasn't there something about Paypal and refunding money? Didn't it cost something? I don't know if that was for the sender or receiver though. Anyone know for certain?

paypal charges sender - but if its a refund all money is returned in ful (old ebay head :D )

Hi ED,

thanks for letting us know. i have to tell you though that i am a bit confused now. my primary goal is not to get out of the paypal mess, but rather to pay my pandora and get it in time. i have a confirmed payment and anything other than paypal or credit card is really a major pain for me. so (simple question) should i still try the refund thing?

Hmmm... I don't know if I need to do anything or not.

I paid by creditcard via paypal on the 30th Sept. Paypal says the transaction was complete and my credit card statement shows the amount debited from my card.

Should I be sufficiently confident that my payment went through or should I still be concerned??? :wacko:

hch said:
Hi ED,

thanks for letting us know. i have to tell you though that i am a bit confused now. my primary goal is not to get out of the paypal mess, but rather to pay my pandora and get it in time. i have a confirmed payment and anything other than paypal or credit card is really a major pain for me. so (simple question) should i still try the refund thing?

Don't worry, your order will not be affected - we will simply have to find a different way of payment.

Hmmm I placed my order at GP2x on last Friday and I have paid via PayPal, I got a confirmation mail from GP2x and it shows "complete" in my PayPal account.

It seems to me that verything went well, but please let me know if it really is the case.

Order Number: 3051

Got a mail from gp2x.de.

He still doesn`t know anything. So i think the best thing to do is wait for paypal to fix things for de shops. Refund all the money. Bitch here about paypal. Pay the man somehow and game when the pandora comes in the mail :)

Okay, here is the latest info:
I did call the hotline three times now - they have no idea what to do.
They advised me to send an eMail which I did now.

Here is what might happen:

A) PayPal is nice and the orders stay like they are at the moment
B) PayPal sticks to their rules and all the orders have to be refunded

If A) happens, nothing will happen, you will get your order as planned.

If B) will happen, the following happens:

1. I'll send an eMail to everybody who paid via PayPal that the money will be refunded.
2. You will then have two different choices:
a) Either we change the manner of payment (bank transfer, cheque or cc via Craigs shop would be possible). Don't worry: You WILL get the Pandora from the first batch!
b) You can cancel your order, get the money back from PayPal and won't get any Pandora.

So, as conclusion:
What CAN happen:
[*] The order stays as it is, PayPal is fine and you get your Pandora from the first batch.
[*] You will get the money back from PayPal, change the Payment, transfer the money and get a Pandora as planned from first batch.
[*] You will get the money back from PayPal, keep it and don't get a Pandora.

What CAN NOT happen:
[*] You won't get your money back and won't get a Pandora.

Q - Will this delay the release?

Kyosys said:
Q - Will this delay the release?
over 100 units??

No Way! They won't hold back releasing since 3900 are all paid for. 100 is not going to be a worry for them.

Good point. You're probably right

EvilDragon:

I appreciate that you're the only one that is trying to take care of the issue, AND keeping everyone as updated as you can. While I'm not doubting that there are other people working on this issue, I, and I'm certain its probably at least 75% of the PayPal orders, am becoming increasingly fustrated by the lack of updates for the situation.

While I also realize its not entirely your fault that PayPal is rejecting the orders as per their rules, you also have to take into account that you did in fact allow the PayPal orders. As such, I'd like to see a greater effort to rectify the situation.

There could potentially be a host of other issues. For one, it seems that the refund is going to come via GBP. It doesn't make sense for business that PayPal would do the reverse currency conversion free of charge, or take the losses if the exchange rate has changed in favour of the customer. Either way, its well documented that the currency conversion rates are unfair to the consumer (they make a good amount doing the conversions). So, for those orders, I assume it'll result in 200 GBP or more sitting in a PayPal account that we have little use for, as its not the currency we use.

So, what I'd like to know is what exactly are you going to do to make the situation better. By offering alternate methods to pay and ignoring the other problems is not adequate in my opinion. If it works out such that we're going to get a full refund of the original amount in the currency we use, and we'll just pay with an alternate method that we would have used had PayPal not been offered as an option, then we have no issue. But that is a pretty big if, and I doubt that will be the case.

At any rate, Pandora should be the one answering these questions. If I have to go through the hassle of contacting PayPal to find out the bad news myself, and Pandora isn't going to do anything about it, then I'm sorry, I'll take my business elsewhere.

I know this is not a friendly, nor will it be a popular post. It had to be said, and I'm speaking on behalf of the likely "negligible" minority of 100 out of 4000 orders. I apologize to be dogging on the only one that seems to be doing as much as they can about it.

-Origin

For now, it's a game of wait and see. Your worries are certainly justified, though

Origin said:
EvilDragon:

I appreciate that you're the only one that is trying to take care of the issue, AND keeping everyone as updated as you can. While I'm not doubting that there are other people working on this issue, I, and I'm certain its probably at least 75% of the PayPal orders, am becoming increasingly fustrated by the lack of updates for the situation.

I know this is not a friendly, nor will it be a popular post. It had to be said, and I'm speaking on behalf of the likely "negligible" minority of 100 out of 4000 orders. I apologize to be dogging on the only one that seems to be doing as much as they can about it.

-Origin

Come on, he posted a couple of hours ago an update. He answers his mail and already refunded my money and to more people. Not much companies are this responsive.
Your definitely overreacting. Relax or take control and ask EvilDragon to refund the money. You can decide if you still like to have a Pandora or not when you have your money back.

Too much negativity in this post, really not necessary. You're not speaking on behalf of me and probably not on behalf of the majority of the minority.

Origin said:
EvilDragon:
While I also realize its not entirely your fault that PayPal is rejecting the orders as per their rules, you also have to take into account that you did in fact allow the PayPal orders. As such, I'd like to see a greater effort to rectify the situation.

There's not more I can do at the moment.
I offered already to refund the money to anybody who wants to have it refunded and change the payment method.
So you can do that as soon as you like.

I also told you that I sent PayPal an eMail after three unsuccessful telephone talks (which did cost about 5 EUR each) and they all told me I should send an eMail about this issue as they don't know what to do.
I can't give anymore updates until they reply to my eMail (which I doubt they'll reply to before tomorrow). Or should I post every hour that I'm still waiting for their eMail?

AFAIK they refund the COMPLETE money. At least they TELL they will refund it INCL. ALL THE FEES. Regardless of what currency you did pay. After all, they have a few big accounts and move the money there themselves, so I guess they convert it AFTER the 60 days are over.
After all - they get a lot of fee, they won't lose anything from that conversion.

If there has been a currency conversion involved then it will be re-converted at current rates. If you loose out that's tough titties, according to PayPal.

If you suffer at the hands of a currency conversion then you can hardly blame the Pandora team. They offered PayPal as an option because of a load of bitching and whining from a minority in the original forms. Having then catered for these people the inevitable happened and PayPal went on one of their "bugger any new venture" rampages. You can hardly blame the Pandora team for that. And if you don't get your full money back then your gripe should be with PayPal.

Back