OSX on Pandora

It's all good, I guess it would be good to learn the benefits of other operating systems. I can't wait for the learning curve that I will be going through when I receive my unit in Nov.

Mac OSX is not possible, sorry. It's only for PPC and x86 and not all of the source is open. Also, it would be very much illegal.

The iPhone's OSX is however written for ARM, but again, no source code, and I don't think it's possible to virtualize it either.

Drack said:
Mac OSX is not possible, sorry. It's only for PPC and x86 and not all of the source is open. Also, it would be very much illegal.

The iPhone's OSX is however written for ARM, but again, no source code, and I don't think it's possible to virtualize it either.

iPhone OS runs a real Mach kernel, so yes, OS X actually has been "ported" for ARM. Thus there is a small chance Darwin could run, if enough of the modifications to the source have been posted. But um, that's just Darwin. Linux does a better job at being a terminal-only OS :p

So yes, to be massively redundant, no, OS X won't run.

It is a violation of the terms of use to use OSX on none apple hardware. While we are talking about operating system that are not supposed to be on the Pandora lets talk about running Solaris10 on the Pandora or maybe Windows Server 2008.

cb88 said:
It doesn't use mach it uses a more complex XNU kernel that was based on mach 3.0 it isn't even a microkernel
read here: http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html

as you can see it is not mach although it is based on mach

XNU is not a microkernel like mach is is a hybrid similar to windows NT

Alright you've got me on a technicality. Replace Mach with Mach-descendant. Until recently it was still largely referred to as "Mach" despite Apple changing its documented named to XNU.

So, Apple's XNU based on Mach has been ported to ARM. My point still stands, an interesting fact but not helpful on ever running OS X on Pandora.

think_tanker said:
It's all good, I guess it would be good to learn the benefits of other operating systems. I can't wait for the learning curve that I will be going through when I receive my unit in Nov.
there won't be one. trust me. When I got my GP2X I had no problems with it whatsoever.

The only learning curve I hope to go through is one for developing for the Pandora, other than that I'm not expecting one (I've been using Linux for a few years).

Back