Original Ps2 Games Not Working Properly!

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Ok, I modded my ps2 like a couple weeks ago with the push-button, a newer version of the flip-top. These mods are not the kind that can really mess up your ps2, they are basically just a replacement of the ps2 case, no soldering or anything else like that. So, onto the problem...

Some ps2 games (Originals) of mine can't load properly with the push-button. Four of my games don't work, but they stop working at different spots. The games are Final Fantasy X, Gran Turismo A-Spec, Ratchet & Clank, and Devil May Cry.

What happens is, at different points in the game, the ps2 starts to make really loud "jarring" noises, and I can see through my push-button that the ps2 lens is all the way at the end (away from the cd tray, controller ports, etc.) and it is shaking back and forth (not vertically). Only some of it is sticking out past the cd so that I can see it through the push-button.

So, I thought, maybe the games are scratched. I checked them, and they only had a few minor marks, nothing too big. But, just to be safe, I cleaned them with a DVD/CD cleaner. After cleaning them, they still didn't work. I cleaned several more times, to the point where they look really flawless, but they still didn't work.

Then I though, maybe something is block the way of the ps2 lens when it tries to move away from the cd, causing it to move back and forth repeatedly and make that jarring sound. I ejected the cd tray, opened the lid, and started looking for something blocking the way but I couldn't find anything!

Any ideas on what's causing it and on fixes? This is really starting to freak me out as I just ordered 2 more ps2 games, bought a $100 controller for a ps2 import, and was planning on buying the import for the controller.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here are the specific spots where the jarring takes place:
Devil May Cry: Right after the Capcom logo.

Final Fantasy X: When I go to the overhead map to decide on a place to go and choose a spot. Then the jarring starts, causing the things that have been loaded to keep playing (In this case, the map spinning around and the music playing) but preventing it from moving on.

Ratchet & Clank: When I choose the saved game to load or when I start a new game and choose the save slot or choose to play without saving.

Gran Turismo A-Spec: When I enter a race, it starts the race, but it then immediately starts the jarring. I can play through the entire race, but when I try to exit the race, it just stays at that black screen with the blinking white square indicating loading.

hmmm... I've had problems with PS2s as I've modded quite a few. Try just removing everything and putting it back tog ether again. My dad's friend's PS2's cd tray stopped working, but we took it apart to try and swap out one from a non-working PS2, but they were 2 different models. When it was put back together, it all worked fine again.

NssOne posted on May 31 2004 at 09:08 PM said:
Try just removing everything and putting it back tog ether again.
Uhh...that'll be Plan B :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to bring the 4 games over to my friends house this week to find out if the problem is with the discs or my PS2. I'll also try to create a video of the jarring and post it.

Try a cd/dvd lens cleaner. You give dust direct access to the lens when the top is open. I clean my lens around once every couple of weeks with my flip top to make sure that nothing buggers.

I don't think that cleaning will help - if THAT would be the problem, the error would occur randomly, but not always after taking the same action...

Could it be that these games have some kind of Antimod protection which gets checked there?

I personally have a German Neoriga modded PS2 and have played through Final Fantasy X US without any problems...

hhmmm that could also be the problem (Anti Mod stuff) Can you not put the thing into Stelth / Sleep mode?? My Messiah 2 that I fitted can go into Sleep mode etc..

The thing is, the push button's only an external mod that only lets you switch games after the PS's region checking has already passed. There is no chip he had to solder to the PS2.
I recommend Solder in Chips like the Messiah or DMS, they are much better than them type in my opinion.... But Non Solders are good if you cant solder I supose

You have a flip-top on it, for disc switching, right?
Yeah, well, technically it's a push-button :D

So, there's no way the game could detect a mod, so it's not anti-mod protection. As for the lens cleaner, that may be the problem. Are there any official or well-trusted brands that make lens cleaners for the PS2? I got a whole cd/dvd cleaning thing yesterday and on the back it said that the lens cleaner is not to be used with any video game console.

So, there's no way the game could detect a mod, so it's not anit-mod protection. As for the lens cleaner, that may be the problem. Are there any official or well-trusted brands that make lens cleaners for the PS2? I got a whole cd/dvd cleaning thing yesterday and on the back it said that the lens cleaner is not to be used with any video game console.
Werll every time you open the top, it allows dust to get in, dust on games = bad.

I suggest you clean your games, maybe? ;)

and for lens cleaners, I suggest the Blaze Laser Clean disc. Works like a charm.

So, there's no way the game could detect a mod, so it's not anit-mod protection. As for the lens cleaner, that may be the problem. Are there any official or well-trusted brands that make lens cleaners for the PS2? I got a whole cd/dvd cleaning thing yesterday and on the back it said that the lens cleaner is not to be used with any video game console.
Werll every time you open the top, it allows dust to get in, dust on games = bad.

I suggest you clean your games, maybe? ;)

and for lens cleaners, I suggest the Blaze Laser Clean disc. Works like a charm.
I'm actually known to take REALLY good care of my electronics, keeping everything in Mint or Very Near Mint condition. (I wash my hand thoroughly before touching the electronics to avoid dirt and odor and to maintain that new electronic smell, I only place them on surfaces I know are very clean (I don't put games on the ground, whether they are in their case or not), I always gentally handle everything, for games/dvds with big areas where there is no label (Where fingerprints can appear very easily) I don't touch them there and make sure everybody else doesn't, ...)

Anyways, here's the video.

can you not compress the vid into Xvid format or something?? Its big :D

For some reason I can't. I always get an error when trying to load a video into Virtual Dub that I imported from my camera. It's not too big. It's only like 20 megs.

Try getting some "Optic Lens Cleaner" and a Cotton bud to clean it...

also check this site out http://www.richspsxparts.com/ and goto the message board (Im a member there :D)

They will help you out alot
I think I might need a new ps2 laser :)angry:), but that site only sells ones for ps2 versions 1-4, I have a 7. Know any other sites?
Before you do that, Go To there Forums http://www.richspsxparts.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2 and hit the "Stickies" at the top of there page or post your problem and they will help you out alot and save you money ;) ;)

---EDIT---

Just saw you have posted there, give it a day or 2 and you will definatly get a reply

Also Your Videos link is down

Have you tried Adjusting the DVD Laser Pot ??

I downloaded part of the vid last night... Is that a Clear PS2 Case you have?????

Yes, it is a clear case (It's a blue push-button).

Try downloading the video now.

I'm first going to clean the lens with a Q-Tip, if that doesn't help, I'll try adjusting the laser.

Back