Oracle to open source Arm jdk 9

Not really a surprise as they practically stopped to support Java years ago.
Good luck to the community that will take the work because Java is such a piece of shit...

Good luck to the community that will take the work because Java is such a piece of shit...

Strong words. Personally I don't particularly care about it either way, but you seem to actually hate it. Makes me curious about what your reasons are for doing so.

Java is totally unsecure (french army uses it, what a joke), multithread is horrible, performance is ugly in many areas.
That said, it's a good language for students.

Java is totally unsecure (french army uses it, what a joke), multithread is horrible, performance is ugly in many areas.
  1. You mean the Java browser applets are unsecure? That's more the browser plugin's issue than the language itself. Regular Java applications are no less secure than those made in other languages AFAIK.
  2. Can you elaborate on the performance bit? As far as I'm aware you could do a whole lot worse within the top 10 programming languages used. In many cases a modern JVM can have only neglible overhead compared to native applications. Of course if the application is done badly it'll be slow.

The EU uses Java programs to manage subsidies too by the way.
There are big software companies with hundreds of people that don't use anything else.

1. Nope the Java itself. There was a lengthy article from 2-3 years ago written by security experts that led to the conclusion that Java security flaws would take at least 7 years to be fully addressed. As Oracle let it go I guess things went worse. This article was linked on Slashdot.
2. While very simple programming can be efficient as long as no UI or user interaction is needed (i.e. some mathematical stuff), when the program grows things worsen.

BTW there's less and less new projects in Java, job recruitment is now about maintenance.

BTW there's less and less new projects in Java, job recruitment is now about maintenance.
That reminds me of a Computer Science Prof who thought that COBOL was still the most widely-used programming language simply because the whole banking business kept clinging to their ancient programs, desperately trying to find people who are still able to maintain them...

2. While very simple programming can be efficient as long as no UI or user interaction is needed (i.e. some mathematical stuff), when the program grows things worsen.

It's true, that Java is pretty unusable for writing classical desktop applications, but for large-scale business applications Java is perfect (only the server-side-code, no applets)! There are many Web Applications still written in Java. The code is extremely readable and maintainable due to Java's language specific features (e.g. Type safety). I'm working at a company, which develops governmental web-applications. Performance is great even with thousands of concurrent accesses. Also the stability of these programs is impressive.

Here are some great frameworks for writing web-application:
https://spring.io
http://hibernate.org/

BTW: Java is one of the most used programming languages...
http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-2015-top-ten-programming-languages

BTW: Java is one of the most used programming languages...
Many of those popularity reports are largely biased by using metrics that don't really represent a programming language's popularity. For example, some process related searches on Google or questions asked at Stack Overflow - which tend to be a lot more with more complex languages and those that are often being forced onto beginners, it usually makes Java look a lot more widespread than it actually is.

@Letalis Sonus yes, they might be biased, but you can believe me, that im not a beginner in programming. I'm working more than 13 years now with Java, and the applications I'm designing are quite big. As an example: The whole Airport-managemnet software of the Vienna Airport is written in Java! There had been more than 1000 programmers working for many years. There is no other language this project could have become a success-story.

I think your view might be biased to, since Java is for sure not the language to go, when writing games, or desktop applications. But as I already mentioned for big scaled decentralised web-applications Java is simply great!

Java is far more than just a language for students!

Many of those popularity reports are largely biased by using metrics that don't really represent a programming language's popularity. For example, some process related searches on Google or questions asked at Stack Overflow - which tend to be a lot more with more complex languages and those that are often being forced onto beginners, it usually makes Java look a lot more widespread than it actually is.
Did you actually look at the linked article and it's sources?

when i ditched (blackdown) java for gcc(++) my zaurus sprang to life.

this was a decade ago.

the jvm is much more sophisticated these days. maybe it would sit quite nicely on a pyra.

the news about the arm jdk is good.

There is no other language this project could have become a success-story.
Now that's the kind of statement that should ring a few alarm bells... there always is, you might not even have heard about it - including those that practically evolved from Java.

Java is far more than just a language for students!
Interesting that you even got that vibe, I merely aimed at criticizing those popularity reports. Java still remains within the top 5 even in the more practical oriented reports after all, just not nearly as close to the top as in others.

Did you actually look at the linked article and it's sources?
They did include exactly what I criticized, and I'm totally not paying for their App just to be able to remove those metrics.

@wc_ Yes this news is indeed good for me. I was also planning to be able to fix Java programms on the go, if necessary. I simply didn't think about, that Java might not run on an ARM architecture...
[doublepost=1472216965,1472216871][/doublepost]@Letalis Sonus hmmm... simply don't use java, if you don't like it :)

Back