GP2X Optimizing Noiz2sa

lapoubelle

Still Fresh
It seems that the game seems to get really laggy when some of the bigger enemies start shooting huge numbers of pink and red squares. I haven't really looked into the source code for the game, but I was wondering if it would be worth checking it out to see if it can be optimized at all when it comes to handeling the enemies bullets.

Any thoughts?

This source is a Direct port of the SDL version of the Dreamcast,

I modified a little bit a long ago to change the key mapping.

Optimisation can surly be done !

paxl13

Oh man ... I thought I was so good at this game that my brain would Fast Foward slowing down the game , like the matrix and everything around me was going slow..

Also I have a problem that wont go away, I close my eyes and I see Noizsa2, sometimes I daydrean and blocks come out of the wall with swirling smaller blocks shooting me blocks.

Cervante posted on Feb 7 2007 at 10:35 AM said:
Oh man ... I thought I was so good at this game that my brain would Fast Foward slowing down the game , like the matrix and everything around me was going slow..

Also I have a problem that wont go away, I close my eyes and I see Noizsa2, sometimes I daydrean and blocks come out of the wall with swirling smaller blocks shooting me blocks.
you do need a break!!

Last edited by a moderator:
To get the Zodiac version up to a decent speed I totally removed SDL, used the Zodiac's 2D graphics accelerated API, but most importantly I yanked out the layers that do the fade effect.

If you pull those two layers out you save two full screen copies along with the calculations. That gives the Zodiac the smooth speed. The GP2X should easily be able to handle it. Personally I'd yank the SDL from it and do it direct to hardware if possible.

I don't know enough about the GP2X yet though. I did however finally get my dev environment working properly today. I can actually compile on windows and GP2X! I'm so excited. :lol:

I already have a project to port though, so someone else should make Noiz2sa playable on the GP2X. I've tried the GP2X version of Noiz2sa and I find it completely unplayable. If someone wants to see what I did with the Noiz2sa source send me a PM and I'll hook you up. It is highly tied into the Zodiac's hardware, but the Tapwave API is dead easy to understand if you have worked with SDL or DirectX.

Ok, I might check out what you did after I get a chance to look at the gp2x source if i can figure out what's going on.

LaPoubelle posted on Feb 8 2007 at 03:16 AM said:
Ok, I might check out what you did after I get a chance to look at the gp2x source if i can figure out what's going on.

the v3.0 firmware comes with a bundled version which seems to be faster. Or I may be dreamin' ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried v3 firmware yet but the GP2X Noiz2sa could benefit from expanding the play area as well. The screen is so small that reducing the text boxes on either side and increasing the play area would make the game feel more immersive.

Back