Opinion On Gp32 And Gp2x

QuasaR

Website
www.echtzeitroolen.de
Here my 2 cts about the new and old GP32... Just write here my expectations and some opinions down...

Emus: I think there will be at the start no really impressive emus for the GP2X, I hope there will be a decent Gameboy, Sega Master System, MSX, C64, Atari ST, Atari 800, Atari 2600, Amstrad ZX, CPC and PCEngine emu at first. Hopefully Reesy will port his fantastic emus for it, too. Later I'm counting on a SNES emulator as well as a GameboyAdvance one (with two ARM procs this should be a smaller problem than with the GP32). Then the third "periode" will start with porting some more unknown system to the GP2X, namely Wonderswan or NeoGeoPocket. That's the things that are (from my humble technical view...) possible with the GP2X. Maybe some maniacs will try to do a NeoGeo emu, AMIGA or even PSX one.
Speedwise I'm expecting every emu to be fullspeed, except the C64, GameboyAdvance, SNES, PSX and AMIGA ones since that machines are real beasts (yes, even the C64! Go and try some decent demos on Frodo & you'll know what I mean...). Oh, and before anybody cries that I didn't mentioned MAME: I tried it two times and it was for me a little bit too slow. And since 50% of my copied ROMs didn't worked with GpMAME (which is indeed my fault, I know!) I was a little pissed and played Sonic instead... But yes, it'll be fullspeed for most of that oldskool games, I'm sure.

Media: I hope a real "easy-to-use" media player will be coming up, written especially for the GP2X (not some dirty Linux-hack, just plain ARM-code from scratch to save some Mhz & batteries... ;) ), with support for OGG, MP3, WAV, MOD, IT, XM, SID. A playlist easily editable built in, of course. And something like Gpcine2, mplayer would do it for a start but I don't believe it would be fast enough. And yes, even the Gamepark Holding told us that the GP2X will eat videos up to 720x480 I think we still have to re-encode them to 320x240 to get maximum quality...

Games: I don't expect anything especial here, since I'm mostly playing emu-games since I'm a little 80ies 8-bit-collector-kid... :) But Quake2 would be nice though... And the homebrew games aren't that bad at all.

So, that's some of my expectations about the "new" GP32. When I look at this little list, I see most of the things already become reality with the GP32 and I still don't understand people thinking that the GP32 is now outdated. When I bought the GP32 three years ago I was just in search of a cheap, easy-usable MP3-player (in fact, I want to have it play OGGs instead since they're just 1000% better than MP3s) and now I'm playing MegaDrive games in the train & watch Scrubs in bed!! And I don't think there will be no new emus for it since Rlyeh will release his ones for sure! And I think, he's going the right direction with his portable libary so he only needs to port them to the new system he wants to port his emus. And since Reesy pulled a really fxxking great emulator out of the box at the "autumn" of the GP32 I'm happily looking forward to the future of GP2X!!

Hope, somebody gets my message. Just wanna say, that we should complain less and be happier with what we got! And that the GP2X isn't redefining the wheel, it's just a chrome rim this time... ;)

Just love this fxxking great gp32_console !!

Heres my 2 cents..

Keep yer gp32 and get a PSP!! I'm sure that I will get flamed for saying this but the PSP is awesome. I've got my gp32 for MAME, genesis and all that other good stuff and the PSP for wipeout pure.

RatchetMan posted on Sep 29 2005 at 12:27 PM said:
Heres my 2 cents..

Keep yer gp32 and get a PSP!! I'm sure that I will get flamed for saying this but the PSP is awesome. I've got my gp32 for MAME, genesis and all that other good stuff and the PSP for wipeout pure.

With the new 2.0 to 1.5 downgrader a psp is a must have...

For me the the gp32 wil play all old 2D retro emus, and the psp will play all new 3D games.
It was a hard descide, but for me the psp won over the gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont want a psp too...
may get one when the get cheap, but then i think mainly for commercial games.
for emus/homebrew/media i get the gp2x.

Heres my 2 cents..

There is nothing really to flame. It just shows the problem with the PSP. If you look at the threads there are many people who have chosen similar solutions to the was Sony *wants* the device to be used. People are mix there commerical/homebrew fun in a variaty of different ways 2 PSP: 1 for homebrew, 1 for Commercial games. Or Xbox2 for commercial games + GPwhatever, and this has been covered everywhere and really should be included in one of those topics because this is a GP32 vs GP2X thread :). Although I do like the new PSP owners starting to get a little jelous.

QuasaR what a BIG post so rather than quote i'll use headings

GP32 vs GP2X
=========

Emulation
-----------
Its just a more capable device for emulation all around, faster/more memory/extra buttons/hardware scaling. There have been almost endless threads on what is or is not possible. The reality is more/better emulaton is possible. Ports of basic obscure hardware will be relatively painless with linux C/C++ emulators, so the chance of seeing new emulators is very high. MAME is not a good emulator(read for playing games) because its not designed with fun in mind. It will I suspect show the strength of GP2X over the GP32 in time.

Media
-------
It will be mplayer, It has hardware acceleration which means no movie converting. I suspect that everything apart from WMV9 not 7 or 8 will be available for the GP2X with no conversion. And when WMV9 is done in linux it will be. Remember its not just a linux hack. The machine *is* linux, any hack would be to take advantage of the hardware. Media Playing on Linux is better in my experience than that of windows, and the fact that the two are related means that the GP32 is relatively futureproofed to new codecs, better software etc. Media is one area where GP2X really kicks the preverbial. It simply beats any handheld out there(the GP32 is not really in the running), and has cheap storage to match. Some People want a hard drive I want 8GB SD :)

Games
--------
Big bonus all around with the SDL/Linux combo for both porting and developing. Its standard there are lots and lots of games/developers that use it, and i'm sure will atract new people to the GP2X with its new cross-platform capacity. Its one of the areas where no handheld has this advantage. If utalized we are going to see *LOTS* of new handheld games. There are still a lot of targets for porters of open-source commercial stuff too HEXEN II, Shadow Warrior, Ur-Quan Masters and more. From what we have seen quake1 plus its slew of add-ons complete conversions etc etc. Thats without the BOR/Mugens of this world and again has the Power/Buttons/Memory to back it up.

Apps
------
Not mentioned but its going to be intersting times, Linux has a lot of them from the practicle e-book readers to the bizzare(predicts first person to run web server). I'm hoping for a sync for TV listings 5 day weather forcast, news feeds for tube in morning. Although I hope for something a little funky.

This is all without mentioning things like faster transfers, removing 8.3 limit, more efficent storage etc etc. Its just a better device.

The GP2X is an evolution over the GP32 and has made many impovements. I can't wait.

mr.mirko posted on Sep 29 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
Heres my 2 cents..

For me the the gp32 wil play all old 2D retro emus, and the psp will play all new 3D games.

I guess this means no support or programs from you on the GP2X then ?

i can't believe how antiPSP this site has become/always been. personally i play more emus on my PSP than on my gp32, which is now more reserved for homebrew since the PSP homebrew hasn't impressed me much. nesterj is spectactular (as if littlejohn wasn't on the gp32). ou_snes9x runs snes on the PSP better than anything on the gp32 (starfox runs at 14fps - not too playable but quite an accomplishment). the PSP genesis emulator works great (not as compatible as drmd). my personal favorite is the neogeoCD emulator which runs metal slug 1 & 2 with the lowest dip in fps being about 40 (upper 50s most of the time all the way up to full speed depending on sprite count). basically i have an old nlu that i bought when liksang first started selling them, so my fascination with having a lit screen is one reason that i keep coming back to the PSP (that along with a fun library of PSP games that i don't mind being ports of PS2 games since i only use that ugly old machine for gt4). for me gp32 = homebrew and PSP = emu.

When I look at buying a new console/handheld I look at the games that are available for it. This is what influences my purchasing decision.

If GP2X could have a full speed Amiga emu or DOSBox on release, then I for one would be a definite purchaser. I think it is important to have some emus that are "only GP2X" to differentiate between the two brands. :)

gp32_console C64, Speccy, Mame SNES, SCUMMVM, Genesis
GP2X : 16bit computers like Amiga, ST and (holds breath) PSX, 3DO, Mame

Just my $0.02 worth.

BTW - I also think the gp32_console is the best thing since sliced bread! Respect is due to all the developers!

ssdietsch posted on Sep 29 2005 at 02:25 PM said:
i can't believe how antiPSP this site has become/always been. personally i play more emus on my PSP than on my gp32, which is now more reserved for homebrew since the PSP homebrew hasn't impressed me much. nesterj is spectactular (as if littlejohn wasn't on the gp32). ou_snes9x runs snes on the PSP better than anything on the gp32 (starfox runs at 14fps - not too playable but quite an accomplishment). the PSP genesis emulator works great (not as compatible as drmd). my personal favorite is the neogeoCD emulator which runs metal slug 1 & 2 with the lowest dip in fps being about 40 (upper 50s most of the time all the way up to full speed depending on sprite count). basically i have an old nlu that i bought when liksang first started selling them, so my fascination with having a lit screen is one reason that i keep coming back to the PSP (that along with a fun library of PSP games that i don't mind being ports of PS2 games since i only use that ugly old machine for gt4). for me gp32 = homebrew and PSP = emu.

The PSP is an excellent handheld, I have yet to see a post that says otherwise, and I'd say its difficult to do so. Most stick with the "more suitable"/"cheaper" for homebrew/posts/media becuase it is.

You can tell the people who have bought a PSP in the last few months, and are not happy that the PSP they bought isn't the only way of enjoying GP32ness on a new handheld.

I think a lot of the anti as you put is comes from the fact that someone who has posted a "Replying to Opinion On Gp32 And Gp2x" the first reply is a "don't buy a GP2X".

Personally I don't know why those who owned a PSP though what looked like quite an exiting time from a emulator/firmware hacking can't just be happy.

Sorry Cyclops, just had to post so much cause too many ppls (I personally think!) have lost interest in the GP32 and I don't think that it's justified. We still haven't pushed the GP32 to it's limits! (...I hope so...)

So, since this morphed into a PSP vs. GP2X thread just my opinion on this: I don't believe that the PSP is "bad", I think it's even a little bit more powerful than the GP2X, especially in 3D. And it gots tons of games, which the GP2X will never have. And I think it will have a vital cracking/demo/homebrew scene (in that order. That's the way it always goes...) in the near future, if not it's already there. But there were some reasons why I choose the GP2X over the PSP.

First (and nearly most important): The price. I get a GP2X for under 200€ where I have to pay for a PSP 249€ and more... For that 50 bucks extra I get a 1GB SD... Second the games: I don't wanna pay 40€ extra for ONE single game! I'm just a poor student so that's just too much (especially, when you have to buy PC games also... ;) ). Third the GP2X is free and will be free (and it gots Linux...) Once your infected with the "GPL"-virus you know what I mean... :) Fourth you can have way more storage on the GP2X and it's easier for media to use (if you don't want to spend 30€ extra for a movie you watched in the cinema, then bought in on DVD cause you liked it and then got the UMD to show it all your friends on the go...). Fifth (and the main reason for me...): The GP2X is unique!! The PSP will rule the world just because of it's mass of units. That's the reason, why ppl will develop for the PSP, cause everybody owns one (not nearly everybody... :) ) and it's easier to impress ppl with programs/emus on PSP. But in kind of styleness it's "lame" because everyone has one. I know, it's not that a reason but for me it one me over to buy a GP2X and no PSP (maybe in 5 years when they're gonna cost only 50€ used...)

Ooops, again tons of craptalk... sorry... ;)

DaveC posted on Sep 29 2005 at 02:03 PM said:
mr.mirko posted on Sep 29 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
Heres my 2 cents..

I guess this means no support or programs from you on the GP2X then ?

Iam still devving on my spare time, my current project is an Universal Emulation Lib. (UEL)
It is something very common to the sdl lib, but more special for emulator devvers. It will programm the Hardware directly, on psp and gp32.
A later portig to gp2x is possible and easy. But for now iam more interest in something new. The psp is a great machine, and listening in bed to web-radio is great :)
The gp2x will have a great start, eaven without me.
Squidge is writing a new SDK from ground, for this machine, so you can start devving then the machine hits the road.

Sorry Cyclops, just had to post so much cause too many ppls (I personally think!) have lost interest in the GP32 and I don't think that it's justified. We still haven't pushed the GP32 to it's limits! (...I hope so...)

As one of those who has less interest in my GP32. The GP32 had started to look old. Its "retro" look n feel once nice looked dated. In the same way early ipods look to the new nano. The PSP had started to look attractive to me more powerful homebrew scence blosseming. If the GP2X had never been announced I would probably own one. There is an OOOPS feeling in general from those people who did get one;their posts are often bitter.

The real killer for me for the death of my GP32 is the storage. I bought a 1gb with my GP2X it will replace the 8x128MB on my GP32 and its not enough, the storage on the GP32 is both expensive and obsolite by comparison. I would say the same about sony's memstick(unless your all sony).

The GP2X is an evolution of the GP32. Its made improvements inside and out.

PSP comparison its been done to death. PSP is sooo last season :D

I am most curious if people plan on buying a standard GP32 anymore?

I am looking on buying a GP2X, but also have a PSP.

I am not looking forward to "keep the homebrew" -vs- "fantastic game X which shuts out the homebrew", so I will pop for the GP2X.

mr.mirko posted on Sep 29 2005 at 03:18 PM said:
It is something very common to the sdl lib, but more special for emulator devvers. It will programm the Hardware directly, on psp and gp32.
A later portig to gp2x is possible and easy. But for now iam more interest in something new. The psp is a great machine, and listening in bed to web-radio is great :)
The gp2x will have a great start, eaven without me.
Squidge is writing a new SDK from ground, for this machine, so you can start devving then the machine hits the road.

Yeah that is good that Squidge is doing something but I think the GP2X will suffer by not having an alternative SDK that you would have done. Oh well to each his own I guess that is the breaks with this kind of thing.

ssdietsch posted on Sep 29 2005 at 02:25 PM said:
i can't believe how antiPSP this site has become/always been.  personally i play more emus on my PSP than on my gp32, which is now more reserved for homebrew since the PSP homebrew hasn't impressed me much.   basically i have an old nlu that i bought when liksang first started selling them, so my fascination with having a lit screen is one reason that i keep coming back to the PSP (that along with a fun library of PSP games that i don't mind being ports of PS2 games since i only use that ugly old machine for gt4).  for me gp32 = homebrew and PSP = emu.

Kind of unfair comparing a backlit PSP with an old NLU GP32. In your situation I probably would never play the GP32 as it is too hard to see, unless you are outside at noon and the sun is going nova. If you had a backlit GP32 you would likely use it for emus more.

The PSP is great I have one, it is cool. It does have issues though for emulation like the smearing on the LCD, the horrible image stretching and blurring, and that dodgy D-pad. I mostly just use it for commercial stuff.

I don't think this site is really that anti PSP really, alot of us have them too. Just not everyone is as geeked up about it like other sites.

THe PSP usually is great for games - i bet the GP2X will suck again at this.
The PSP can also be a portabe multimedia device - the GP2x too, and this much better - at least because you dont need to reencode yous movies.
Also in homebrew the GP2x will be much better with included SDK.
And firmware updates for PSP doenst it make easier to code things for it.
If some kind of FW downgrade is a solution to make homebrew possible for a longer time? We will see!

Aaaaand the GP2x is much cheaper and have a better screen ratio!

Back