It's not being done by all of the Pandora crew
and if they can fit the time in to come with a game then so be it
No need to get angry or annoyed
The guys probably doing it to get some more cash in
Times are hard these days for all of us

Last edited by a moderator:
'RajTakhar' said:
...and if they can fit the time in...
That is a very interesting question. Is there nothing else to do for Craig? Just sit and wait for the final postman to ring and bring the final devices, ready to ship?
Or is this a sign of "if it all fails, at least we have this iPhone game"?

Only one person ever almost got rich off an iPhone app, and Apple pulled their app before that could happen.

Plenty of people are raking in good cash from the appstore. Zodttd works on the iPhone/Touch platform full time from what I understand.

For those worried about Pandora being neglected here, ask yourself: how much publicity is a Pandora game going to get if it's ported to iPhone, as opposed to an iPhone game with a $1k prize attached that then gets ported to Pandora? This is a clever way to give Pandora more exposure.

Right now MWeston is waiting on the clear CNC case, which should lead to case moulds being ordered. Then there's 30ish days of waiting before production starts. By then, this game will be in the appstore. I'm not going to guess at the finer points of the plan here, but you can see how the timelines fit.

If we want to bring Pandora to the attention of iPhone devs everywhere, we ought to be spreading that 30daygame link around as much as we can. ;)

I don't really care that they're making the game, because they probably do have a lot of free time [waiting for CNC cases must be like waiting for disk I/O to return if my CS teachers are right]

But it seems kinda weird nonetheless.

You're right about the iphone gets attention then we say, 'hey, you might like this too...' plus I have the time this month and I like learning how to dev for new systems. I can have a hobby right? :)

'craigix' said:
You're right about the iphone gets attention then we say, 'hey, you might like this too...' plus I have the time this month and I like learning how to dev for new systems. I can have a hobby right? :)
After all this time i can completely understand you like to do something that you HAVE control over ;)

Anyway, looks like another nice game to have on the Pandora

'WizardStan' said:
Only one person ever almost got rich off an iPhone app, and Apple pulled their app before that could happen.
now i would they do that
considering they get 30%

I have seen the latest Video. The Game looks very nice especialy for the short time of development. But I strongly recomment to add SCROLLING to the game, at least for the large outdoor areas. ;) The background also screams for nice Parallax-Effects.

Pandora and iPhone both support Open GL ES. So at least the graphics engine will be portable.

Esn posted on May 29 2009 at 09:55 PM) [quote="fusion_power posted on May 27 2009 at 11:03 AM said:
I have seen the latest Video. The Game looks very nice especialy for the short time of development. But I strongly recomment to add SCROLLING to the game, at least for the large outdoor areas. ;"] The background also screams for nice Parallax-Effects.
Dizzy games didn't have scrolling, and this is a Dizzy clone...[/quote]Some Dizzy games had scrolling. Fantastic Dizzy certainly has scrolling. I think Crystal Kingdom Dizzy may also have scrolling, but I'm not terribly sure about that.

Esn posted on May 29 2009 at 10:55 PM) [quote="fusion_power posted on May 27 2009 at 11:03 AM said:
I have seen the latest Video. The Game looks very nice especialy for the short time of development. But I strongly recomment to add SCROLLING to the game, at least for the large outdoor areas. ;"] The background also screams for nice Parallax-Effects.
Dizzy games didn't have scrolling, and this is a Dizzy clone...[/quote]I actualy didn't know, that the game is based on another series, I've never heard anything about "Dizzy".
However, It sounds like the no-scrolling thing was because of hardware limitations of the old Consoles/Computers. I'm sure the iPhone can do smooth scrolling but I also don't have an iphone and don't know the 2D-game-skills of this Fruit-Phone. ^^"""""

Pleng posted on May 31 2009 at 07:23 PM) [quote="Esn posted on May 29 2009 at 09:55 PM said:
fusion_power posted on May 27 2009 at 11:03 AM said:
Dizzy games didn't have scrolling, and this is a Dizzy clone...
Some Dizzy games had scrolling. Fantastic Dizzy certainly has scrolling. I think Crystal Kingdom Dizzy may also have scrolling, but I'm not terribly sure about that.[/quote]Yes, you're right now that I think about it - but they still had "edges" to the different areas. That is, it would scroll for a while, until you came to the end of the area.

Esn posted on May 31 2009 at 10:21 PM said:
Yes at you're right now that I think about it - but they still had "edges" to the different areas. That is, it would scroll for a while, until you came to the end of the area.
Uh yes but the same can be said of any 2D (or even 3D, come to think of it) platrom-style game. Every map has to have an edge

fusion_power posted on May 31 2009 at 09:05 PM) [quote="Esn posted on May 29 2009 at 10:55 PM said:
fusion_power posted on May 27 2009 at 11:03 AM said:
Dizzy games didn't have scrolling, and this is a Dizzy clone...
I actualy didn't know, that the game is based on another series, I've never heard anything about "Dizzy".
However, It sounds like the no-scrolling thing was because of hardware limitations of the old Consoles/Computers. I'm sure the iPhone can do smooth scrolling but I also don't have an iphone and don't know the 2D-game-skills of this Fruit-Phone. ^^"""""[/quote]I'm sure Craig will confirm this as well but the no scrolling is a conscious design choice and was something we discussed at the very beginning of development. Wizzley is inspired by the Dizzy series of games and we all felt that the dizzy games that featured scrolling didn't work anywhere near as well as the flip screen games. For me flip screen somehow gives more of sense of exploration which is important I think as it's primarily a graphic adventure game. Scrolling would probably be possible, the whole map is seamless - each screen matches perfectly with the next, but I honestly feel it wouldn't work anywhere near as well as the flip screen and at this stage it would be too much work to add anyway as the code would have to be completely re-designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back