OpenPandora and 5ghz Wifi

TDT

Hi all,

I did a search, and only found one article that relates to what I'm wanting to do:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...gle-work-with-the-pandora.70483/#post-1205010

The issue is that my home is in a super congested 2.4ghz area. Essentially, things drop out, a lot. It really makes using my pandora there almost impossible.

I was curious if anyone knows of a dongle that works fairly well? If not, does anyone have experience connecting a hub that has a built in cat-5 connection to it? I have a few extenders/cat-5-to-wireless devices around, that I could plug the pandora into.

The only time I really need wifi is for updating apps, so it's not something I use all that much.

I did a bit of research regarding an odroid board, not Pyra. And things are pretty bad, it seems that there aren't many chips with open source drivers and even less that are included in the mainline kernel. I have got this link in my favourites:

http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-10-wifi-dongles-for-the-raspberry-pi-2016.html

Thanks for the link on this, I really appreciate it. It looks like the Netis WF2150 is the only one that supports 5ghz. It may be worth buying, because it's likely the pyra will be in the same camp in terms of frequency use.

You're welcome. My advice to find hardware compatible with Pyra is searching wahtever works in rpi, being this computer so widely used. And you can be sure at 99% that anything that works on pi will work on Pyra.

Reactions: TDT
I Gave my old Tenda W522U USB stick (which can 2.4 and 5Ghz) a quick try on my pandora. The pandora is "on" Superzaxxon 1.71/Kernel 3.2.69 . The pandora seemed to detect it and find networks and I was able to connect with it.

ljones

I dont realy want 5 GHZ Wlan on the Pandora...
..i want 5 Ghz Cpu inside the Pandora :D
(Only little Joke)

5Ghz Wlan..is that Wlan N Standard?
Or Wlan AC Standard?

I have a Wlan Dongle with N Standard working on my Rebirth Pandora here.

I dont realy want 5 GHZ Wlan on the Pandora...
..i want 5 Ghz Cpu inside the Pandora :D
(Only little Joke)

5Ghz Wlan..is that Wlan N Standard?
Or Wlan AC Standard?

I have a Wlan Dongle with N Standard working on my Rebirth Pandora here.
5GHz is supported in A, N and AC versions of the wifi norm. In N and AC, 2.4 Ghz and 5GHz can be used. Not all equipment supports 5Ghz.
Pyra will support N on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

5 GHz wlan is just the radio frequency that the Wi-Fi chip uses afaik. It's bandwidth is higher and thus Wi-Fi transfer rates too. Down side is that 5 GHz doesn't radiate through matter as good as 2.4 GHz. So it usually only works well when the router is in the same room. Because of this, it's great in heavily Wi-Fi congested areas.
In my house I receive more than 30 2.4GHz networks and not one 5 GHz except for my own. ;)

Back