Opening a real Pandora + iCP + Product 3 shop.

My apologies, I don't have much to contribute to this topic, but I just wanted to say...

Can I join this OpenPandora prostitution ring plz?

... this quote works REALLY well with your avatar, moz. :lol:

A physical store for a niche device cannot work. Cannot.

Think of possible customers.

- Early adopters who have too much money and collect toys.

- "Oldschool" power users - from the DOS, NES days etc.

- etc..

Now think about how and where these people spend their money.

Most computer users will shop online. We read reviews, compare products and don't really like sunlight. =)

It's difficult for someone to "impulse buy" at a physical location if they've never heard of the device. Compare the Pandora to a smartphone.

What would be viable is an online store which just happens to sell to locals. In this case it's more important to have a good website and a cheap location than a good physical location.

Indeed, i'll need to sell more things than OP and iCP.

But, it's easier to convince people when showing things. I speak about my own experience with the OP.

Selling just niche devices will never work, true, but you could bill yourself as an all open source shop: build systems with pre-installed distros, tweaked specifically for the hardware you're installing them to, charge to debug other people's messed up systems, that sort of thing. With a small enough physical presence you could probably pull it off: I've known other successful computer stores that did even less. At least until they started expanding.

^ I'd love to have a local open source shop in that sort of vein... It'd sure make computer shopping much easier. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Munich is the most damn expensive place of the whole country, you will never be able to pay the rent. Like, the rents are that damn high that it is completely impossible for lower payed people like plumbers to live in Munich itself and even higher payed people often can only afford a very small flat. You simply have to pick one of the villages and small cities that are directly surrounding Munich instead.

That's an interesting information.

Do you think it's more expensive than Paris ?

Paris is probably more expensive, but Munich is the most expensive city in Germany.

He is right, the rents are enormous. Frankfurt is expensive, too btw.

Interesting, thanks.

Such a huge jump from Sydney. I wonder why, they don't get euro ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
essen might be a good location. not the biggest city itself, but lots of other citys nerby

I know for a fact that if he could get actual stock, easily and freely enough, Yogi @ Shop Subotron would put the Pandora right in the front display case:

http://subotron.com/pics/

He has one of the best locations in the world to pimp the Pandora, and he simply can't do it because its too hard to get the machines!

I show him mine every time, he complains he can't get 'em easily enough, for brick and motar prices, for it to make sense.

So its only a matter of the production being sorted, and then the reality is: we will see Pandora's in the store, in various locations, without question.

Well... he could contact me, I'm pretty sure I could provide him with enough units...

I like the idea but here's a crazy thought: ship the old orders ( like mine ) before you stock stores.Jeepers.

I like the idea but here's a crazy thought: ship the old orders ( like mine ) before you stock stores.Jeepers.

Actually, by making money from stocking stores (assuming the store would still pay more than the production cost), old orders (that are being sold cheaper than current actual production cost) can be shipped faster.

Back