Opengl Es Engine

crow_riot

wiz_wow_0001.jpg

just want to share ... dunno why, i'm just happy that it finally starts to get dirty ;)

it's just a - work in progress - 3d engine photo ... don't have a camera for moving images atm - so just crappy iphone photo ...
it shows a char( taken from WoW - blizzard, don't sue me pls :D )with about 3000 triangles, 2 textures on wiz ... still a lot to do, but it should get a nice base for some real 3d games on the wiz... probably before gph releases some ;)

as mentioned in another thread, i'm using the 240x320 display and rotate everything using GL. no tearing when moving around in the scene....

greets.

This looks really nice! I'd love to know more .. I've been avidly hacking away on my Touchbook in preparation for the Pandora arrival, but maybe its time (now we have gadget ethernet) to do a little WIZ platform section in my Makefile .. would you be willing to share the details of your build environment, which lib you're using for GLES, and so on?

torpor said:
This looks really nice! I'd love to know more .. I've been avidly hacking away on my Touchbook in preparation for the Pandora arrival, but maybe its time (now we have gadget ethernet) to do a little WIZ platform section in my Makefile .. would you be willing to share the details of your build environment, which lib you're using for GLES, and so on?

didnt try the ethernet stuff yet, but i really hope it makes dev'ing faster :)

i'm using codeblocks (tbh, dont like it very much) on ubuntu for development specifically for the wiz (the renderer itself) - using the latest precompiled openwiz toolchain. ubuntu runs inside a virtalbox on windows7 host. for stuff that needs a bit more debugging (memory lib for auto pointer, arrays, scenetree, etc.) i'm using visual studio sharing the same codebase for wiz and win.

for GLES on the wiz i'm using parts of wiz3d package, mainly the wiz-specific initialization routines - here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,188 ...

opengl es lib for the wiz is here dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,132 ... that's the latest one released by GPH. works fine, except that you cant link to it but need to dynamically load the lib and get the function pointers - but there's already a part within wiz3d that handles that for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
Looks cool. Good luck with future work :) .

thanks :) i hope to turn it into a small game over the cold winter times ;) ...

Nice project, crow_riot! I'm looking forward to it. Good Luck!

Regards,
Stephan

That looks really cool! If you're making a freeware 3d game for the wiz and need some 3d models, let me know and I'll make you some!

kev256 said:
That looks really cool! If you're making a freeware 3d game for the wiz and need some 3d models, let me know and I'll make you some!
sounds great! i'm coming back to you then :) just need to finish the FBX converter to have some better fileformat than milkshape and .obj and stuff. then i'll probably start a 3d game. as i'm always lack of time, i thought about making something similar like http://minigore.blogspot.com/ on the iphone (yeah, i got the payed version ;)). simple but still fun to play.

Hi,

I compiled OpenSceneGraph 2.9.6 for wiz and I've done a little sample, all is available here: http://thor.pdroms.de
OpenSceneGraph is an open source 3D engine with a lot of features and plugins for common data files (3D & other).
The last dev version (2.9.6) offers support for OpenGL ES 1 & 2 (so pandora guyz can try it too).

Thor

Looks really, really cool .. I'm impressed with OSG, gonna look into it more now that it has GLES 1 & 2 support ..

i was looking on OSG years ago and never again .. till today. looks really neat! i'd be interested how it performs on the wiz, i need to check out your latest tests :)

with my little spare time i got FBX converter/importer now running quite nice - so i'm still working on my own engine, it grows, but slowly :)

crow_riot said:
i was looking on OSG years ago and never again .. till today. looks really neat! i'd be interested how it performs on the wiz, i need to check out your latest tests :)

with my little spare time i got FBX converter/importer now running quite nice - so i'm still working on my own engine, it grows, but slowly :)

Hi, any little example to use 3d models texturized (if is posible .3ds models) with opengles on Wiz ?
I use the oficial DGE SDK on Windows.
Thanks.

I've never used that DGE SDK but use opengles straight forward. How does the DGE SDK give you access to opengles? can you directly use gl* functions?

Loading .3ds is pretty PITA. A quick google gave me http://sourceforge.net/projects/assimp/ ... you might want to try something like that first instead of reinventing the wheel :)

crow_riot said:
I've never used that DGE SDK but use opengles straight forward. How does the DGE SDK give you access to opengles? can you directly use gl* functions?

Loading .3ds is pretty PITA. A quick google gave me http://sourceforge.net/projects/assimp/ ... you might want to try something like that first instead of reinventing the wheel :)
Yes, i can use direct functions like: glVertexPointer(3, GL_SHORT, 0, ImageVertices3);

I take a look at you link.
Thanks.

crow_riot said:
How does the DGE SDK give you access to opengles?
This is just the weird way that the files are organized in the GPH SDK. All GLES and SDL headers and libs are inside the DGE subdirectory.

Back